Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This Road Attack has about 6k on it and its going to be tire time soon but does this look like normal wear?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It looks like you make a lot of left turns. Are there many roundabouts in your area or something?

·
Registered
51 Posts
This picture can be very deceptive because of the angle.

Time for replacement. Tire wear should be even around the whole tire, not necessarily from one side to the other but all the way around the face of the tire.

I worked at firestone for a little while but never dealt with motorcycle tires and along with the angle can't really say whether it's normal or not. You have obvously gotten below the tread so you should be replacing those tires..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
that sounds like REALLY low numbers for a road attack front tire.. i have more on my road attack and it looks **** near new.. I dont push it as hard as some, but harder than others...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts

This Road Attack has about 6k on it and its going to be tire time soon but does this look like normal wear?
nothing abnormal about the wear except that it seems a little excessive for only 6k on a front sport touring tire, what pressures do you run?

btw, it's not tire time soon, its already well past tire time

·
Registered
51 Posts
yea if you see the cords showing on any part of the tire, I suggest no riding at all and get it replaced immediately but for as fast as you wore those tires down, you should be getting them replaced anyway.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Road attacks wear fast if you ride them harder, so it could just be that- they don't seem to deal with higher temperatures all that well

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
oh man i could use that for my daily slab plenty of life left for a straight line.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
6000 miles is awful mileage from a sport touring front :eek: I just replaced a Diablo Strada prematurely due to uneven tyre wear, and it'd done 11000-12000. If it'd not gone mis-shapen I don't doubt it'd have been good for several thousand more, but too many corners and a few trackdays meant the shoulders wore badly while the centre was still fine- which meant it started handling weirdly.

·
Registered
729 Posts

This Road Attack has about 6k on it and its going to be tire time soon but does this look like normal wear?[/QUOTE]

Looks like some fairly normal wear to me, for someone who likes curves....I think the mileage is too high, though.

This is a Pirelli Diablo with only 2100 miles on it...

[IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/Kramer_Krazy/worn_diablo_front.jpg

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Looks like some fairly normal wear to me, for someone who likes curves....I think the mileage is too high, though.

6k is too high?! for a touring tire?!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts

That Diablo is sport tire and that's some heavy wear. I still have my Diablo on the front that I got last may and it's currently has 8039 miles on it and looks to be good for another 3k or 4k easy and my last Diablo front lasted 10k. Which I thought was great for sport tire.

:)

·
Registered
729 Posts
6k is too high?! for a touring tire?!
Actually.....yes. Around here it is, and a Diablo Strada is classified as a sport-touring tire for most people. I am lucky if I can see 50% more wear out of a sport-touring tire over a sport tire, and lately, it's been much less than that.

I love posting my highly worn tires on these Internet forums because comparing tire wear is like deciding which oil is best. There are so many variables to tire wear, that I am amazed people even ask this silly question. I can honestly tell you that the last D220 tire my wife or I have run was to the cords in 2200 miles (from edge to edge). I can also say that the last eight tires, regardless of manufacture, model, or front or rear, has hit the wear bars long before 1600 miles.

The point is, comparing tire wear is just as ridiculous as complaining about oils. A person needs to build up a history with different tire brands and models. Until you do this, you can ask all you want on an Internet forum, as the answers are so wide-spread, you're just wasting bandwidth.

I really do like to get you guys riled up, though.

Here's a D220 with only 2200 miles on it. It was the first tire worn out by a disabled woman who was off of motorcycles for three years while recovering from injuries....

Here's another nice tire with less than 2500 miles on it....

Here's a D208 with 300 miles of street use...

And here is a Bridgestone BT-020 with a little over 2000 miles on it....

Here's another with only about 2500 miles on it...

I have not had a tire last more than 3000 miles in the last two years (and my wife and I have gone through over 50 tires in the last three years), but......our bikes live in the mountain twisties and some of the roads around here have quite a coarse surface.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
what are your roads made of? Cheese graters! Dang I'm glad we don't have that problem here.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Actually.....yes. Around here it is, and a Diablo Strada is classified as a sport-touring tire for most people. I am lucky if I can see 50% more wear out of a sport-touring tire over a sport tire, and lately, it's been much less than that.

I love posting my highly worn tires on these Internet forums because comparing tire wear is like deciding which oil is best. There are so many variables to tire wear, that I am amazed people even ask this silly question. I can honestly tell you that the last D220 tire my wife or I have run was to the cords in 2200 miles (from edge to edge). I can also say that the last eight tires, regardless of manufacture, model, or front or rear, has hit the wear bars long before 1600 miles.

The point is, comparing tire wear is just as ridiculous as complaining about oils. A person needs to build up a history with different tire brands and models. Until you do this, you can ask all you want on an Internet forum, as the answers are so wide-spread, you're just wasting bandwidth.

I really do like to get you guys riled up, though.

Here's a D220 with only 2200 miles on it. It was the first tire worn out by a disabled woman who was off of motorcycles for three years while recovering from injuries....

Here's another nice tire with less than 2500 miles on it....

Here's a D208 with 300 miles of street use...

And here is a Bridgestone BT-020 with a little over 2000 miles on it....

Here's another with only about 2500 miles on it...

I have not had a tire last more than 3000 miles in the last two years (and my wife and I have gone through over 50 tires in the last three years), but......our bikes live in the mountain twisties and some of the roads around here have quite a coarse surface.
Alrighty, I concede that in your situation, your tires die quickly. I wouldnt exactly call what you go through normal wear by any means, tho. For the general populous who use a road attack, 6k on a front is pretty **** low.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts