Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started messing with the SV 650 today. It had been knocking a bit so I drained the oil and found this:

So I decided to look further and emptied the oil drain pan and found this:

At that point I knew we had big problems, so by the end of the afternoon, we ended up with this:

I have pulled the jugs and both rods are binding on the crank, but the crank appears to be spinning free.

Anyone know a decent place to have the crank and rods checked and new bearings set up?

This, my friends, is what happens when your son refuses to listen when you tell him not to do stand up wheelies.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Yellow pages and look for a engine machine shop. Or Google "local" it.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Easiest fix is a new engine. Check with Twin Works Factory for where to get the crank. There is an information forum that is run by that company. Join and ask there.

www.twfracing.com

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
That sucks. So - if HE did the wheelies how come it's YOU doing the work on the bike? :p

Oh well, at least he's got 9 other machines to fall back on while the SV's out of commission. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, at least wheelies won't kill a DR. :)
He still tries, which is why I am limiting the time he gets on that one these days. He thinks I am going to let him run the ZX6 on the track, but no way in hell that's happening! Rick has the forks for that one right now doing a nice Ohlins upgrade.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Heh, I would have never thought my motor oil would be a good place to pan for gold!

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Come on ... EVERYBODY knows that doing wheelies on a SV will not kill the motor and is just urban legend! ::)

j/k Hope he is paying his fair share of the rebuild ... that is going to cost some change.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like I have another motor sourced for a reasonable cost, so I am going to go that route and look for a crank and rod assembly later and then rebuild this motor right. I am sure this crank is probably toast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So this happened, and he didnt notice or something? or did he just park it and hope no one would notice? either way there must have been some sad and scary noises coming from that poor thing. nearly made me cringe seeing those pics, glad im a ***** and dont have the balls to do extensive wheelies

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I call bullsh!t. wheelies absolutely cannot kill an SV, I read it on the internet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can someone break down what exactly happened here? I get that there's metal bits in the oil, which is superbadbad.

So doing long wheelies keeps the oil away from the parts of the engine that need it the most (guessing). What part(s) specifically are toast here? And what does a new engine cost? If you didn't decide to get a new engine, and to instead rebuild yourself, what part(s) are you looking at replacing?

Either way, bummer.: '(

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So this happened, and he didnt notice or something? or did he just park it and hope no one would notice? either way there must have been some sad and scary noises coming from that poor thing. nearly made me cringe seeing those pics, glad im a ***** and dont have the balls to do extensive wheelies
Oh, he noticed, and he told me it started knocking. I checked it out and had pulled the CCT to check it and had done everything to check it and even changed the oil before, but he ran it in the garage this past weekend and told me it had started sounding worse, which prompted me working on it.

What happened here? Doing long stand up wheelies forces the oil to rest in the rearmost portion of the motor, which means the oil pick up is no longer submersed in oil, so no oil is circulating, which runs the bearings dry. That causes the spun bearings. When THAT happens, it usually causes the crank surface to be scarred up from the metal bits. That, in turn, renders the crank unservicable and can only be fixed a couple ways which is not cheap cheap at all.

A new crank runs about $650. Then you still need bearings and all gaskets to rebuild. Best bet for me for THIS motor is to find a used crank that is in good condition and rebuild. If I were to get this crank rebuilt, it would run around $400 alone.

I am getting a complete motor for $450 which is well worth not dealing with the headache of repairing this crank. $450 is actually pretty cheap for a used motor, but I am buying it from someone I know. I also have another buddy checking sources for a crank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are shops that can weld up a crank and put it back to stock specifications. I would only trust a race engine or race bike shop to do this. It is also sometimes done to increase the stroke of the engine and if the shop is good lasts almost as good as the original crank. A used engine is cheaper, but it's not a throw away situation.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
:) Falicon is a great place to get the crank redone, and their rods, or Carrillo rods are both great.

If Falicon redid your crank you could also use new stock SV rods as well,

The number to call for Falicon is 727-797-2468, Ask for Sean,

The cheap and easy way out of course is to drop in the new engine, and not rebuild the old.

From the looks of the "gold Pan" you have a few well worn parts in the old engine.

Either way, I hope it works out well,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

1 - 20 of 52 Posts