Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so here's my problem...

When I take my bike out it runs fine for about 5 or so min and then slowly starts hesitating and continues to get worse. Today I drove it home from the mechanic (about 35 miles) and it did the same thing. After about 25 miles the hesitation was getting much worse (very jerky and intermittent) and while I had the throttle engaged just slightly it died. I did not have any problems starting it back up and continued my ride. It was still very jerky and died about 4 more times before I got it home. The red light came on and I checked the error code: c14 - TPS (Could this cause this?)
I adjusted the TPS according to directions found on there and it seemed to react exactly as it should.

It usually does not hesitate when the throttle is fully open. If idling it can be fairly rough and when I give it gas it bogs down and sometimes dies. However, it idles just fine on a cold start.

The radiator fan is broken and the mechanic told me that this could very well be the problem. I'm not too sure if it is because it was working fine at 120 degrees at the beginning of my ride in traffic but got MUCH worse on the freeway even though the temp gauge read 189 degrees.

Regardless I plan on fixing the fan, but hope to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
if you want to pm me i can walk you through the pinpoint test for the code from the service manual

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
... The red light came on and I checked the error code: c14 - TPS (Could this cause this?)
The ECM error codes are great, they take you straight to the problem. I would check the TPS connections as Clay suggested. If the connections are OK, then sounds like Matt's got you covered for testing.

Be aware, there is a fair chance the TPS will bench test fine since it sounds like the problem is temperature related. The lack of vibration during static test can also make a failed sensor show good.

Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could temperature effect the tps? I guess I figured if it was the tps it would do it all the time and not just when the bike warms up.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Could temperature effect the tps? I guess I figured if it was the tps it would do it all the time and not just when the bike warms up.
Yes. Same as with plugs, hose leaks, etc. Heat = expansion to so many things and for those things to only show signs after heat is applied to them.

·
Vendor
182 Posts

TPS issues on the DL 1000's commonly show a properly functioning TPS when "bench testing" the unit. Common for the engine to stall after high speed cruising after coming to a stop at an off ramp or stop light. Replacing the unit with a new one has fixed most of these reported failures. Sounds like your SV has similar symptoms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after I get a fan, if its not fixed I will try the TPS.
It's darn near impossible to find a fan! they are a dime a dozen on ebay for the 650. nowhere to be found for the 1000.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Check the TPS sensor, change your plugs (if you need to), and also check the nipple covers on the throttle bodies (where you connect the syncing tool), I also have a 2003 and my nipple covers were cracked causing a vacuum leak and making the bike hesitate a bit and run rougher.

·
Registered
238 Posts
good luck with that. i am having issues with my 1000 but not like that. but i can help you find a radiator fan for your bike no problem. i will post a link for you when i find one

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sephrin - thanks for looking however the blades were torn up so I need the whole assembly.

I actually had the throttle bodies cleaned, checked and balanced. So I know that is not the problem. Also checked for vacuum leaks but everything seems to be in working order there.

·
Registered
238 Posts
tell you what. if my flywheel magnet repair ends up failing i will most likely being parting out the bike. if i do end up parting it out i will make sure to get a hold of you for that fan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, as much as I would like to get a hold of a fan, I hope you don't have to end up parting out your bike.

Thanks though! Let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have heard of a problem similar to this on bikes when the tank vent gets plugged up and the gas tank draws a vacuum starving the engine for fuel. After it stalls, you could open the gas cap and see if it sucks in a bunch of air. If so, the vent may be the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have actually tried this, and I never noticed any suction after opening. In fact, it may not be the safest, but I ran the bike for about a mile with the cap open to rule that out, and I still ran into the same problem. Thanks for the suggestion though!! Still trying to hunt down a fan to rule out overheating.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I fixed the fan. Turns out the motor was still good, so I bought a used radiator fan from a cbr 600 rr for $20 and the the fan itself fit on perfect. Unfortunately, as I expected this did nothing to fix the problem. On a side note, the fan does not kick on until about 220.

It's still hesitating badly after riding it for a few min (after it warms up) and continually gets worse as I ride it. It seems to be worse on warmer days as well.

Check the TPS sensor, change your plugs (if you need to), and also check the nipple covers on the throttle bodies (where you connect the syncing tool), I also have a 2003 and my nipple covers were cracked causing a vacuum leak and making the bike hesitate a bit and run rougher.
Is there 2 or 4 of the nipple covers? I was able to spot two of them that looked to be in good shape but read somewhere else that there are four of them. If, so where are they located?

I'm also trying to track down a TPS sensor if anyone knows of one being sold.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Check the resistance of the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor).

Temperature Standard resistance
20 °C (68 °F) Approx . 2 .45 kQ
40 °C (104 °F) Approx . 1 .15 kQ
60 °C (140 °F) Approx . 0 .58 kQ
80 °C (176 °F) Approx . 0 .32 kQ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, so here's the Results:

TPS:

Manual says the TPS (throttle position sensor) should be:
Throttle Closed: 1.12 kQ
Throttle Open: 4.26 kQ

Test 1:
Throttle Closed: 2.17 kQ when closed
Throttle Open: fluctuated 5 - 6 kQ when open

Test 2:
Throttle Closed: infinite KQ
Throttle Open: fluctuated 5 - 6 kQ

Test 3:
Throttle Closed: spiked to anywhere between 13 kQ - 19 kQ for a split second then read infinite Q. at times it would spike again and then go to infinite Q.
Throttle Open: fluctuated 5 - 6 kQ when open

It seems the TPS is a little out of wack! Unless this may be normal for some reason.

The ECTS senser test: The manuals says it should be:
Temperature Standard resistance
20 °C (68 °F) Approx . 2 .45 kQ
40 °C (104 °F) Approx . 1 .15 kQ
60 °C (140 °F) Approx . 0 .58 kQ
80 °C (176 °F) Approx . 0 .32 kQ

Test 1: Performed as oil was heating (manual said to use oil).
20 °C (68 °F): Thermometer I used did not register this low
40 °C (104 °F): 1.4 kQ
60 °C (140 °F): .8 kQ
80 °C (176 °F): .44 kQ

Test 2: Performed as oil was cooling
20 °C (68 °F): Thermometer I used did not register this low
40 °C (104 °F): 1.22 kQ
60 °C (140 °F): .67 kQ
80 °C (176 °F): .37 kQ

The resistance was a little a high on these but I am not sure if its a big deal. I would imagine that it is not. The manual says if the resistance is too different replace it. Who knows what "too different" is. I wish it would tell me.

So... I have ordered a used TPS from ebay. Hopefully this will fix it.

Thanks for all your help everyone!!

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
Test 3:
Throttle Closed: spiked to anywhere between 13 kQ - 19 kQ for a split second then read infinite Q. at times it would spike again and then go to infinite Q.
That definitely indicates a faulty sensor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts