Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I park my bike outside and protect it from the elements with a cloth cover purchased from Pep Boys. The cover works well overall. However, there are some stray cats in the area, and they seem to be drawn to the cover.

Last year, the cats started using my bike cover as a scratching post and put a number of holes in it. To combat this, I purchased some isopropyl alcohol spray from the pet store, which I periodically applied to the cover. This worked reasonably well. But this year, they have decided to pee on my bike cover, which makes it stink.

I'm not sure exactly what they're attracted to, but it's annoying at this point. I'm also slightly allergic to cats as well, so that's another issue.

Does anyone have any potential solutions to this issue? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
459 Posts
rat poison... pellet gun... hungry dog... something of that nature maybe?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Shoot 'em. I have a loose cat problem in my neigborhood. My huskies have persuaded them to stay away for quite some time but there's more cats now. If they are stray or their owners can't keep 'em where they belong, it's time to take animal control in my own hands. I have called animal control and they say that there is nothing they can do about the cats. So fine, imma camp out on my roof sniper style and pick them off one by one as they are walking around my house.

I'm sure animal activists will chime in. Ding ding ding...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm game for the cat assassin method. As far as animal activists go - stray cats are the number one reason for the extirpation of tons of native species. I say kill em - kill em all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've read that cats absolutely despise the smell of ammonia. However, I'm not sure if that's limited to when sprayed with ammonia or just being near it. You could get a long range squirt gun and use 50/50 water to ammonia mix. If you can't catch them near your bike to spray them, perhaps you can try putting a bowl of ammonia near your bike or test putting some on the cover.

You can also try placing a motion detecting cat repellent such as this near your bike.

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CatStop-Ultrasonic-Outdoor-Deterrent/dp/B0001A9TE2

Obviously poison could work. However, you need to make sure your neighbors never realize you've taken such action. Check your local laws, but chances are, unlike dogs, cats are allowed to be off leash and its illegal to harm them.

Marc

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
actually, pissin is the answer, don't be afraid to mark YOUR territory, you don't have to saturate it, small amounts will do

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a good way to get rid of all kinds of animals from your stuff, you can buy moth balls or moth ball flakes and wrap them in plastic wrap and then in foil, after poke holes in the foil with a fork, and you can attach these to the bottom of your cover or just put them under your bike if you are in a garage, no animals like the smell of that stuff, you can use these anyplace you have animals problems and the vapors will no harm any parts or paint on your bike.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
In all seriousness, I know its cruel, but leave an aluminum baking tray out near it full of antifreeze. And make sure you use the really bottom of the line antifreeze.

It has a sweet taste and will cause kidney failure in about a day. Just don't let any pet especially dogs near it. They will drinking it too.

S

·
0 Posts
Ammonia definitely works. The strong smell will keep all animals away.

Another trick is to hang a pantyhose sock full of mothballs near the bike.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
In all seriousness, I know its cruel, but leave an aluminum baking tray out near it full of antifreeze. And make sure you use the really bottom of the line antifreeze.

It has a sweet taste and will cause kidney failure in about a day. Just don't let any pet especially dogs near it. They will drinking it too.
I have to respond to this, this is such an a$$hole move. Last year someone hit my cat in their car on purpose, but it was not lethal. But it was ******* expensive. Care or care not about animals, you ARE going to cost people money in vet bills, and we pet owners are NOT ******* money trees. Cost me $1,200 plus about a month of caring for a cat with a broken face.

Long story short, this is so fu#ked up I can't express it. I hope you are joking, really I do. If you aren't expect bad things to happen, karma can be a b1tch.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
get another pep-boys cover, and a regular bike cover. Put the bike cover over the pep-boys cover and take you old cover and marinade it in cat nip. Then when they're all rubbing themselves all over their own **** covered bike cover blow them up with the C4 you cleverly hid underneath.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Wow. There's some really big dumbsh-ts in this thread. :rolleyes:

Check out what google found:
http://www.google.com/search?q=anti-cat+spray&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SUNA_en

Or better yet, go to fuc-king PetSmart or similar pet supply place and ask someone to direct you to the animal repellent aisle.

There are plenty of other options other than poisoning, shooting, and maiming animals. Then again, most who think this way aren't smart enough to think of any other solution.

Do the right thing.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts