Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here road a Gladius and a Speed or Street Triple? The Gladius is a nice bike but I find myself needing more power more often now, especially on the highway. Most of the traffic here cruises around 80mph and the Gladius doesn't have much power at that speed. Of course more power would be more fun too. :naughty:

Also I'd like better suspension, adjustable suspension would be great. The Speed also has ABS which would be nice. What do you think?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The street triple is hands down the best naked bike I have ever ridden. When I bought the Gladius though there was a 6 week waiting list and they were going for higher prices second hand than new in the UK.

Still love the gladdy though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The street triple is definitely on my list of future bikes. I absolutely love them, but I didn't want to buy a more expensive, more powerful bike for my first ever bike. The Gladius is easy to start out on, and I'm no where near pushing its limits yet. In a few years though...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The SFV does have a more all round practical feel to it compared to the Triumphs. The 50 mpg and easy maintenance is nice is hard to give up.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a friend who swears by it. I personally cannot get over the funky headlights. I've been thinking of trading but I'm leaning toward Duc. I did sit on the new GSXR and did like its narrowness.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Pick up the Speed, you wont regret it. I've had mine for the past few months, it's a real all around bike, it does it all, and the low end torque is addicting. I came off a Naked SV. I test road a Street last year during demo day, IMO it felt similar to the SV around town and through most of the power band, once the revs pick up it definitely will pick up speed quickly. Then i test road the Speed and was hooked.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got an sv and my buddy has a speed. We switch all the time and he loves how nimble and tossable the sv is. I do love the raw power of his bike. It's incredible how much power it has, truly amazing. Maintenance is no competition though. The had to order a lot of his parts from England. I can get mine on eBay. But if power is what your after it does not get much better than that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Something to keep in mind when debating is what kind of riding you do and the range of the fuel tank. I have a several friends with the Striple and they can't go more than about 100 miles without the gas light coming on. My Gladius can do at least 160-170 before the gas light comes on.

I was considering trading for a Striple at one point, but this was a major factor for me when riding in rural areas on long trips. I don't want to pack fuel.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't do much long range riding, maybe a few trips a year. My Gladius only gets 140 miles until the light comes on. How do you get 160-170?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What kind of riding did he do? I hear bigger displacement engines get better gas mileage on highways because the engines don't have to work as hard at high speed.

My buddy was getting closer to 190 per tank on his speed triple.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was considering a speed, then I sat on one and I was on my tip toes.... there went that idea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
87 Posts
I havent sat on a triple yet (no dealers in my immediate area), so I was hoping they weren't too short. I fear I look slightly out of place on the Gladius; I am 6'0" but have a 34" inseam. I could stand up and let the gladius ride out from underneath me! :lmao:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Something to keep in mind when debating is what kind of riding you do and the range of the fuel tank. I have a several friends with the Striple and they can't go more than about 100 miles without the gas light coming on. My Gladius can do at least 160-170 before the gas light comes on.

I was considering trading for a Striple at one point, but this was a major factor for me when riding in rural areas on long trips. I don't want to pack fuel.

Just some food for thought.
I'm getting 150-160 b/f the light comes one, that's about the normal all over the Triumph boards, your friends must be twisting the throttle a lot.
Average about 40mpg, that's way down from the 55mpg on my old SV, worth it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Average about 40mpg, that's way down from the 55mpg on my old SV, worth it.
Good to know as they are of vastly different ages and one lives in Oregon and the other New Zealand and getting the same gas mileage. Also one male and one female. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts