Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in a bit of a dilemma here. Ive had the SV for about a year and its been a lot of fun. Great bike, super reliable, and Ive learned a ton. The only problem is that it doesnt really inspire me. It doesnt tempt me to sneak rides in, I dont go joy riding as much as I used to, etc. To me, taking out the SV is as routine as taking out the car to work now.

So I have been thinking of trading it for a Supermoto/Dual Sport and giving that a whirl. Im a big outdoors person and the idea of a big bore DS/SM excites and intrigues me.

Anyone been in the same position? What path did you guys follow? If you stuck with the SV, how did you rekindle that spark? lol

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you are not riding for practical reasons and you no longer enjoy riding, you might as well sell the bike. People who ride just for thrills often wind up getting injured or killed because it takes an increasing dose to get the same high. When you come to love riding for the pure joy of it, it's just a choice of which bike or style fits your circumstances best.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
If you are not riding for practical reasons and you no longer enjoy riding, you might as well sell the bike. People who ride just for thrills often wind up getting injured or killed because it takes an increasing dose to get the same high. When you come to love riding for the pure joy of it, it's just a choice of which bike or style fits your circumstances best.
This is one of THE dumbest comments I've read. I doubt that 10% of all riders in the US use a motorcycle for "practical reasons," whatever those are. Motorcycles are luxury items, aka, toys. People who buy them ride for entertainment.

The OP said he was getting bored with the SV and wants to try a DS/SM. That typically means he wants to mix in some dirt with his street riding. He didn't say, omg, the SV is a slug, I wanna go 190 mph on the street. He said absolutely nothing that would cause a sane person to jump to the conclusion that he is an adrenaline junky who needs an "increasing dose" to get "high."

BTW, why do you have an SV 1000? A Ninja 250 is much more practical.

OP, buy whatever bike floats your boat and enjoy it. If the SV no longer suits your needs, get something else. I've owned all manner of bikes, but no one bike has been "the" bike for me. Some are better at some things and others are better at other things. If I could justify it, I'd own a Ducati MS 1200 or KTM SM-T for trips, the canyons and streets; a KTM Dakar Adventure for fire roads and off-loading; and keep the S1000RR for the track. But, that's me. Everyone is different.

Three years ago, I placed a higher value on street riding and bought a Superduke. When I started doing more track riding, I wanted something better suited for the track, so I bought the S1000RR. I do find I ride less on the road with the BMW than I did with the SD.

Some small minority of people in the US actually believe that a bike should be practical, but I'm not one of them. Have fun and stay safe.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Most riders switch bikes every couple of years. I am always looking to try new bikes. I hop on anything I can. Try some out and see what fits you. I went from the SV to a GSXR 750 because I wanted to try out a supersport. I love it. In a few years, I will move on and try something different again. Would be much easier if we could test ride bikes the way we do cars but unfortunately, it is rare to find places to do that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I owned an '07 naked SV for over 2 years and about 11k mi, and while it was good and reliable, it was also plain and not very exciting. Keeping it would've made more sense financially, but why ride if it wasn't for fun? Ended up replacing my SV with a Multistrada 1000DS, which is not going to be as cheap and reliable, but it's a lot more fun and exciting to ride.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I recently switched from a cruiser to a sport bike. Not because I was seeking a thrill or adrinaline rush, but because I was bored the cruiser.

If you're bored, change it up. Find a used bike that's several years old so that the price will be cheap and it won't depreciate much. If the DS/SM route isn't for you, you can sell it in a season or two with minimal loss. Have fun with whatever you choose!

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is one of THE dumbest comments I've read. I doubt that 10% of all riders in the US use a motorcycle for "practical reasons," whatever those are. Motorcycles are luxury items, aka, toys. People who buy them ride for entertainment.
I don't think that was a dumb comment at all.
I have my SV for the low maintenance, ease of parking in NYC, commuting, travel (crossed the country on her and elsewhere), low insurance, great gas mileage, available parts for mods and making her your own, etc.
If those are not "practical reasons", then I'm not sure I know what are.

Calling someone's opinion DUMB is not practical. What did you gain from making someone you do not know feel bad for even a second? Nothing.

·
Registered
968 Posts
No.

I didn't think is was dumb either. The reason I bought my SV was for all intents and purposes, practicality. My car took a dump on me my junior year of college and I figured I could get a more reliable motorcycle with what little money i had than some beater car. Round trip to and from school was about 60 miles. When the gas prices went up outrageously a few years ago, what happened? Peolple started going out and buying scooters and motorcycles because they were more PRACTICAL on gas. There are other things too that people might find more practical like maintenance costs (if you do things yourself) and insurance. Nice rant though.

Anyway... if the OP is having a loss of love for the SV, maybe something new, perhaps something with different riding position like the dual sport/adventure tourers would fit more into his lifestyle and keep things from getting "boring" so to speak. Maybe one of the bigger Vstroms would wet your whistle?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I don't think that was a dumb comment at all.
I have my SV for the low maintenance, ease of parking in NYC, commuting, travel (crossed the country on her and elsewhere), low insurance, great gas mileage, available parts for mods and making her your own, etc.
If those are not "practical reasons", then I'm not sure I know what are.

Calling someone's opinion DUMB is not practical. What did you gain from making someone you do not know feel bad for even a second? Nothing.
Thx, but he didn't make me feel bad, even for a second. :) There are those who ride for practical reasons, those who ride for thrills, and those who ride fo the joy of it. I would guess that a lot of us have a mix of all three reasons. I ride for the joy of it, and appreciate the practicality and thrills as bonuses.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Its funny I just bought my SV1ks but I still want to ride everything out there. Intalling the helibars made the ride much more comfortable for me and i have used them for almost 4k miles now.

I got bored with the comfort and lowered the clip ons as low as they can go for a more aggressive position. Just doing that has made this bike feel new again :). I again love taking it out and it feels much more stable on turns for me. If i ever needed comfort again i just raise em up again haha.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
In a perfect world, we'd have a few bikes from every category. A city bike, a sumo, a dirt/trail bike, a tourer for ling rides, etc.

I say go for it and get the sumo/trail bike. They're hella fun, and they open up a whole new area of travel.

I got meself a CRF250X, and both bikes have their pluses. The CRF is definitely fun, but the SV is fun in a different way in city traffic. Different riding position, more comfy seat, dunno. Maybe get a trail bike for $2k and keep both?

·
Registered
58 Posts
not to steal your post, but I am also thinking of switching bikes. I have had my SV for about a 10 months and I enjoy it. My only issue is that its a very "in the middle" bike. Its not really as fast as I would like. And thats fine, but for something to not be super fast, I would hope it would be more comfortable. Maybe it is just my long legs (I'm 6'1 170lb) but its not all that comfortable either. So I am looking to get out of this middle ground. either to get a bike that is faster, or something that is more comfortable. any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I padded up my seat with rebond foam and put on rearset plates. You can make certain changes, but most of the Japanese makes will likely be just as cramped. Even the Speed Triple, which was almost perfect for tall people, has gotten a shorter seat.

In the end, you'll have to demo ride bikes to see what's comfortable for you. Most comfortable bikes won't be very fast, and vice versa, unless you get a KTM 990 SM or something.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
I went to my bonneville for,something that is more comfortable. :)
My sv was 11yrs. old,and parts were getting harder to find.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
not to steal your post, but I am also thinking of switching bikes. I have had my SV for about a 10 months and I enjoy it. My only issue is that its a very "in the middle" bike. Its not really as fast as I would like. And thats fine, but for something to not be super fast, I would hope it would be more comfortable. Maybe it is just my long legs (I'm 6'1 170lb) but its not all that comfortable either. So I am looking to get out of this middle ground. either to get a bike that is faster, or something that is more comfortable. any suggestions?
FZ-1. Pretty comfortable and still pretty quick.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I padded up my seat with rebond foam and put on rearset plates. You can make certain changes, but most of the Japanese makes will likely be just as cramped. Even the Speed Triple, which was almost perfect for tall people, has gotten a shorter seat.

In the end, you'll have to demo ride bikes to see what's comfortable for you. Most comfortable bikes won't be very fast, and vice versa, unless you get a KTM 990 SM or something.
smh I never thought Id be at a disadvantage being tall. then I started driving/riding motorcycles and realize I cant fit into the same cars and bikes my friends I made fun of have. Lol karma i suppose

·
Registered
818 Posts
To continue with the hijack, the stock SV seat was/is absolutely miserable for me. Comfort is often based on the bar/seat/pegs relationship, and the windshield (or lack thereof). You can either adjust those items on your SV, or look for a bike that is a better fit. Maybe start or revive a thread if you really want to discuss.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts