Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize the SV1000 is heavier (I think 50bls right from SV650 at 370 to the SV1000 at 420lbs), but is the handling of the SV1000 alot worse than the SV650 I like throwing my bike around in the turns and realize the weight isnt always everything its how its balanced over the bike, but I just want to know how menuverable the SV1000 is. I guess what Im asking is it somewhat easy to flick from side to side. Is there any tendancies it has. Any info on it would be great.

Thanks JON

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been getting upgrade fever also, not really for the power cause the 650 has plenty. More for the look, I know it's being superficial but oh well it is what it is lol

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The handleing on the SV1K is drastically different from the SV650. Not that it's that bad, but it is a noticible difference. It just is not the same bike to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tonyjuliano said:
The handleing on the SV1K is drastically different from the SV650.  Not that it's that bad, but it is a noticible difference.  It just is not the same bike to me.
Can you elaborate alittle, thanks

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Jon Mueller said:
Can you elaborate alittle, thanks
To me, it feels much heavier than the actual difference in weight (50lbs.) The steering is slower and it is slower to fall into a turn. It just requires more effort to ride as fast in the tight stuff.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd say try and ride one if you can. One of the things I love best about SV's (don't own one, but have ridden a few at the track) is how flickable they are.
You loose some of that with a bigger heavier bike. The TL weighs quite a bit, but with some suspension work she handles great.
Get both if you can afford it :) Best of both worlds

·
Registered
39 Posts
I love my sv1k, so much that I forgot how the 650 handled. If it steers too slow all you have to do is drop the triples down the forks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
03Dynasty said:
I love my sv1k, so much that I forgot how the 650 handled. If it steers too slow all you have to do is drop the triples down the forks.
Yep, lowered the front end by raising the fork tubes up about 6mm and it made quite a big difference. Almost sport-touring to sportbike feel. Personaly, being on the short side the biggest factor for me was the height of the bike. It makes the added weight more apparant.
Like anything else though, once you get accustomed to it you're fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dont know if its more the rider but ive smoked quite a few 650s and gixxer 650s in the twistys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its all relative my 1k is two hundred popunds lighter then my old bike and it is awesome. You will get used to it and adjust for it I love my new bike.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
WeezerKDI said:
Screw a 1000, I want that Tiller!!! ;D
Basically same thing..motor wise anyway. Just detuned a bit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
this is only by reading reviews, but the TL1k is supposed to have crappy injection system, compared to the one of an sv1k. same engine, but sv is much more revised, with a wider/flatter horsepower curve.

But i just bought my sv1000 two weeks ago. im not so much of a speed-corner freak either, but my brother has a ZX7R and my SV is more agile and feels lighter. i never rode a 650 (cause im too tall for that little bike) but i must say i love my SV1000

1 - 15 of 15 Posts