Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stuff like this makes me seriously think about selling the street bike and just staying on the track (even though I make money for racing by coaching MSF classes):

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2..._other_driver_charged_with_drunk_driver_.html

Here's the meat of the article:
Lorenzo, 48 — a husband, a father of three and a member of the department's elite Highway Patrol unit — was struck and killed on I-95 by an alleged drunk driver.
The avid motorcyclist had just finished his shift early Sunday at Highway Patrol headquarters on Erie Avenue and was heading north around 3:15 a.m. to his Somerton home. Police alleged the driver, John Leck Jr., of Levittown, Bucks County, cruised his charcoal Audi A-6 the wrong way — southbound onto the northbound lanes — and slammed into the officer just before the Cottman Avenue exit. Lorenzo was still in full uniform.

I might be a minority in that I know a lot of motorcyclists and yet don't know one who has died/suffered catastrophic injury and maybe I'm getting old - but this stuff tends to freak me out anymore. Am I over-reacting? Probably. The wrong way on 95? How the hell do you drive so drunk that you can do that and yet are still able to even hold the steering wheel? And why couldn't this Audi douche have gone head-on with a Mack truck instead of a bike?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
In '68, I was on vacation with my family driving up to Montreal. My dad was driving. We just exited customs driving on a large three lane hwy divided by a wide grass infield. Several miles down the road out of nowhere, another car driving the wrong way in the left lane hit us at 70mph head on. The other driver was an elderly man from VT. The Canadian police said the only way for him to have entered the road the wrong way was miles away. We were the first lucky ones for him to encounter. You would have thought someone would have seen him before finding us at around 6pm. Trust me, it can happen.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
There have been several of these (4-5) situations that happened this year in the Chicagoland area.

Drunk driver goes the wrong way on an on-ramp, and ends up going the opposite way on the highway.

Why we've had so many this year in the area, I'm not sure. Never heard it happening before as often.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I wouldn't stop riding the street. Though what happened is terrible but that can happen at anytime driving anything. Not sure why but this has been happening more and more is it just me. It happened not to long ago in LI NY. I think there were children that were killed. I made my only street/track bike, track only and since I couldn't get to the track as much as I liked my riding skills suffered. Every time I got back to the track I found myself trying harder to get back to where I was and that only made my riding worse. Also I found myself gaining weight as well. I love riding and though I can't stand riding in NYC I still do it. I just keep an eye out for everything. Not only is NYC hazzards the hating motorist but there are a lot of pubs, bars, lounges and clubs in every borough. You never know when the latest idiot walks out of the bar and gets into his car.

I also question why couldn't that idiot drive into a Mack truck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've saw two wrong-way drivers in the span of less than a year back when I was still in college and driving far away to hang out with old buddies at a bar once a week when our friend ran the karaoke. Neither time did the person cause an accident . First time, I called 911 immediately and turned around at the nearest interchange and went back the opposite way until I found the driver pulled over. Second time, as I pulled onto the right shoulder to let him pass, I saw headlights coming on the other (PROPER) side of the highway. Right after the ghost-driver passed me, the car on the proper side turned out to be a cop, his blue lights came on and he crossed the median. In my rear-view mirror, I watched as the ghost driver pulled over to his right.. on the shoulder of what was actually the passing lane. Luckily, it was very late at night so there were probably less than 3 or 4 cars a minute on this 4 lane, wide grassy median/divider state highway. The only thing I can think of is that they got on the highway so drunk that they didn't realize it was a highway and just thought it was a two-lane road. Scary no matter whether you're on two wheels or 4. Best tactic in such a situation is to pull as far to your right as possible and stop until the vehicle passes.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Many decades ago I kept reading that many top racing drivers, F1, Indy, NASCAR, etc., hated driving on the street. They never knew what some idiot might do and felt safer on the track. Your attitude is normal.
As for the specific story that spooked you “3:15 AM” and “drunk” kind of go together. Anywhere near closing time it’s scary to be on the highway. Per vehicle mile it has to far bloodier than any other travel time. I avoid it like a tax audit.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I stopped riding on the street after getting into track riding and racing. Mainly because I sold my street bike to build a racer, but I haven't had any wild desire to buy another street bike.

I don't think it's a rare mindset...ditching the unknown crazy fools of the road for the known crazy fools of the track.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
We've had two wrong-way-driver-caused fatal accidents in the Houston area in he past few weeks. BOTH of them involved the same stretch of I-45! The drivers either had to make a U-turn to enter the Exit ramp or had to make an illegal left turn to enter the service road going the wrong way.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I am not riding this season, but I am 80% sure that I will give up street riding next season. Too many crazy people out there. Besides, after I went to the track, the street just seemed boring.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I gave up the street the start of last year and haven't looked back since.
Best decision I've made. Trust me you won't forget it, I gave it up for the same exact reason, too many close calls.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I'm leaning towards stopping as well and dedicating riding only on the track. Sht happens, and when it does, I don't want a guard rail cutting me in half, or a truck run me over etc etc... but track riding is expensive so it takes some dedication and sacrifice, if you have the money, time, and supportive family to do this, I'd say stop riding in the streets.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I'm just a social street rider... I put less than 1k miles on my street bike each year. Hardly enough to justify keeping it, but I enjoy the social aspect that comes with it.

Hell, due to a nagging wrist injury I've DRIVEN to bike night the last couple of weeks just to hang with my friends.

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
i saw that article as well. That's the second cop in a few month span killed in philly by dumbasses.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8702115

The off-duty officer was taking part in a motorcycle ride for peace with about 100 other members of the Midnight Run for Peace and Men United for a Better Philadelphia.
The group's aim is trying to stop the violence and drugs in the city.

"The off-duty officer was on his motorcycle going southbound on Broad Street at Master. A car made a left hand turn westbound on Master and the officer on his motorcycle struck that vehicle," Lt. Ray Evers said the night of the accident.
There was also one in a squad car in Millville this weekend that was killed by an eluding driver.

The thing is, you can get just as dead in your truck encountering these drivers. And on your bike (especially someone who does drills weekly like you Happy_SV) you may have a better chance of dodging them.

I wouldn't swear-off street riding. It just doesn't make sense to me since there are so many awesome places to ride. Maybe you need a supermoto or dualsport or adv bike for street to remind you how much fun street is ;)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Also leaning towards stopping the street riding and just stay on the track.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad to know I am not the only one! I actually joined this forum because I got into racing SV650's, and since then I have really had ZERO desire to get on my Buell 1125cr because of the stupid drivers and other things that you can not control. As other have said, once you start on the track normal everyday driving seems pointless to try to "go fast" on public roads.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
As other have said, once you start on the track normal everyday driving seems pointless to try to "go fast" on public roads.
"going fast" just means different things on the track and on the street. You make the mistake of comparing two activities which happen to be done with more or less the same tool (bike) but are more different than most people think. There´s skills you need for the track, skills for the street and of course a lot of overlap.
I appreciate track and street each for their own merits. And no racetrack session can give me the excitement going ont a trip to the south of Europe and back for three weeks (and by no means in slowmotion).
For another example I have my SVS and a 23 year old DR650. The DR is by no means as fast and refined as the SV and travel speeds I use with them vary by a fair amount. But I like both machines for what they are.

If you feel that going to the track is a replacement for street riding instead of an extension of your bike activities for you and you can´t appreciate it (street, that is) any more for what it is, then go for track only. It´s not that you´re forbidden to ride on the street for the rest of your life with that decision. :)

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I was in high school a student died from a drunk driver going the wrong way in a 350Z... and the drunk driver was a habitual drunk driver and also illegal alien. Very sad and still pisses me off so much about drunk drivers, especially the ones who keep doing it! They should be shot in the head.

I feel lucky though cause where I live now there aren't too many motorcycle incidents, knock on wood. A few cars like to follow way to close so I give them the evil look but nothing too crazy... though I never ride after 10p.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've thought about giving up street riding aswell but dont really have the time or money to be going track riding all the time. Plus I enjoy riding too much to be restricted to only riding a few time a season. The way I look at it when its your time to go, its your time, no way around that. So for now I'm going to keep riding street and be extremly cautious and attentive.

·
Registered
618 Posts
When I was in high school a student died from a drunk driver going the wrong way in a 350Z... and the drunk driver was a habitual drunk driver and also illegal alien. Very sad and still pisses me off so much about drunk drivers, especially the ones who keep doing it! They should be shot in the head.

You'd hate to live in WI then. Only state in the US where your 1st DUI isnt a criminal offense, just a traffic ticket. Takes 4 DUI's just to get the POSSIBILITY of a felony charge (and the 4th must be within 5 yrs of the last one). Its weekly that you see people in the paper who got their 4th, 5th, 8th, 12th DUI.

We just had a guy here who killed 2 people when he hit them at 80+mph in a 30 zone at nearly twice the BAC limit sentance to 2 10yr sentances to run concurrently (should be consecutively IMO). Worse thing he'll get is he'll probably be deported after he's released since he not a US citizen (is here legally was probably the only legal thing he did).

So effing sick of the losers who think driving drunk isnt a "big deal". Maybe when they have to bury someone who was murdered by one of those efftards they may get it through their fat heads. :angry5:

DUI laws need to be uniform nationwide. Will shut the WI Tavern League up since they fight any idea of tightening DUI laws here. 1st offense should be 180 days jail, $10K fine. 2 yrs banned from driving. 2nd DUI, 364 day jail, $25K fine 10yrs ban driving. 3rd offense 5yrs prison, $250K fine, banned from driving for life. Get caught driving drunk after the 3rd, the fines and jail time doubles each time. Kill someone driving drunk should be a min 25yrs. Maybe that should get their attention.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
^I think IL (at least Henry county) is 3 strikes and you are done driving. My brother got his 3rd DUI right before they enacted that. My brother doesn't drink anymore. It takes awhile for people to learn. I don't think they should be given more than 1 DUI before losing their license. You just put too many people at risk drinking and driving

1 - 20 of 25 Posts