Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my eye on the Monster 696 for a while now. I really dig the looks and handling of the bike but the notorious Ducati Maitnance schedule and parts have me worried. I hear the new Ducatis only need valve adjustments every 12k now. Anyone have any insight into what the true cost to maintain a Monster is?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The mechanical aspect of Duc's is what keeps steering me away to seriously consider them (otherwise they are superb machines). I've seen a few going around with really noisy clutches around town, I wouldn't be able to stand that (my opinion). I got a modest income so I can't take chances, good luck on your search.

·
Registered
151 Posts
if you're going to upgrade, go 796 or 1100, then there's the Tuono, true upgrade!

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Newer Ducatis have similar maintenance, like 15k mile valve checks, versus 7500 for older ones, so it isn't that high strung. But parts prices and availability would likely be at a premium compared to an SV.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Forgive me my dickishness, but why is it an "upgrade" to switch to a Ducati? The 696 is a compromised bike, just like the SV is. They are both built to a price point. The compromises, made by different engineers and designers, are different on the Monster 696 than on the SV, but they're compromises nonetheless.

·
Registered
289 Posts
As mentioned above, I don't see the 696 as an upgrade. You trade in the reliability and cheapness of a Suzuki and gain all the Ducati headaches with minimal gain. The 796 is better but not by much. The 1100 evo would be an upgrade with tc, abs and much more power along with adjustable suspension.
Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
My reading comprehension might be a bit off as I've been out of school for a while, but the OP did mention liking the styling of the Duc. Plus it has the Ducati badge on the tank. So in this sense, it is an upgrade.

The question was about cost of maintenance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Valve adjust interval on a 696 is 7,500 miles IIRC.

I would't call the 696 much of an upgrade, more like a tradeoff. I like Ducs, and have ridden quire a few. If you want to step up get the 1100 or one of the older Monsters 750, 800, 900, 1000, etc.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I guess a BMW boxer won't be a future purchase.
Or a Moto Guzzi.

What's wrong with a dry clutch? (Other than the fact that when you pull in the lever, it sounds like a chronic masturbater with a pocket full of quarters.)

You'll be trading Japanese reliability for Italian "character." While that's not necessarily a bad trade (I have both), the entry level Duc Monster and the SV650 are so similar as to make the trade meaningless. (Not hating on the Duc; I'd say the same thing if you owned the Monster and asked about trading it for an SV -- it makes no sense to me.)

·
Registered
289 Posts
O
You'll be trading Japanese reliability for Italian "character." While that's not necessarily a bad trade (I have both), the entry level Duc Monster and the SV650 are so similar as to make the trade meaningless. (Not hating on the Duc; I'd say the same thing if you owned the Monster and asked about trading it for an SV -- it makes no sense to me.)
That's what I was trying to say, its just for a 696 its more of a parallel change than upgrade

·
Registered
795 Posts
1. Ducati's cost a little more than their Asian counterparts. 2. Ducati parts cost a little more than those of Asian bikes. If you are not able to deal with both of these items, then a Ducati is not for you. However, the air cooled Monsters require less maintenance than their SBK brethren. I have looked at a coworker's M696, and it definitely at the bottom end of the Ducati family. With its dual sided swing arm and 160 rear tire, it looks like a Buell Blast from behind. In my opinion, the 796 is worth the extra $1k.

For the record, my 1098 cost exponentially more than my SV, and it was worth every penny. A Ducati oil filter costs $20 at the dealership, and I don't care. The rattle of the open, dry clutch is music to my ears (barely noticeable to me over the exhaust). It is by far the best handling motorcycle I have ever ridden. And after my last trackday, it's the only bike that anyone has ever stopped to take a picture of in the pits. That never happened to my SV :icon_biggrin:

Good luck with your decision ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Forgive me my dickishness, but why is it an "upgrade" to switch to a Ducati? The 696 is a compromised bike, just like the SV is. They are both built to a price point. The compromises, made by different engineers and designers, are different on the Monster 696 than on the SV, but they're compromises nonetheless.
To clarify I was referring to trading in my 09 sfv on a brand new '12 or '13 696. Though I do think that people see Ducati as more of a Premium brand like Mercedes or BMW. Every brand have their flaws though. I was just wondering if the 696 had any major ones.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
I appreciate the clarification. Your use of "new" in "new Ducatis" could have referred to several years' worth of production; and I assumed it did. I agree that going from an '09 to a new bike is an "upgrade" generally. I generally stand by my point about compromises on bikes built to a price point. The bike that best suits your reasons for riding, and which you can afford is always the rightest bike for every rider.

Ride well and be happy.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I guess a BMW boxer won't be a future purchase.
Not because of the dry clutch, because of the things that come along with owning that brand.

Or a Moto Guzzi.

What's wrong with a dry clutch? (Other than the fact that when you pull in the lever, it sounds like a chronic masturbater with a pocket full of quarters.)
Read above

I'm a Japanese motorcycle owner all the way, one thing I hate dealing with motorcycles is issues & expensive maintenance, not worth it for me. I can afford it, I just choose not to.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ducati's are nice but the price on parts and labor are just nuts also the insurance at least in NYC is insane! I would love to have a Duc but in the city it just doesn't make sense for me. My next bike will be a Triumph 675R. The 696 is no upgrade mechanically but style wise it is a pretty bike but its the cheapest Duc out, so don't expect to be floored by the performance. If I could afford to maintain one and the insurance then I would have one. The other thing about Ducati's is that some owners are just plain dicks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts