Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i found a 2003 SV for sale and im wondering if the seller is asking too much and if i should buy it.

It has 11k miles, oil changed regularly and was dropped once. The owner says that the fairings and frame sliders were the only things damaged and he fixed it.

He also said that it could use a new chain, a new sprocket and maybe new tires.

He is asking $2800 and said he is negotiable.

He is meeting me halfway on it (he ll be riding the bike about 20-30 miles so i figure it must be in decent mechanical shape if hes willing to do that) so what would be a fair price to offer him especially after considering the parts that it could use.

Thank you!

Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also i never worked on a motorcycle before. I work on cars regularly and like to think im somewhat decent at it so how hard is it to change a chain and sprocket? Thanks again

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can't necessarily comment on changing the chain/sprocket (thought a google search will yield plenty results), but make sure you check the VIN. I had big issues with the VIN not matching the one on the registration. Do you know the previous owner, or is it just some random Joe? Might be worth checking the VIN against stolen/wrecked. Little things now can save a huge headache later.

$2800 is less than I paid for my '03, and it needs/ed new tires. I'd offer him $2500 just for negotiation's sake, list the reasons, and see what he counters with.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know the previous owner so I'll check the VIN out.

Yeahh I was thinking $2500 too. Is there anything that I should look for when looking at it? This is going to be my first time buyin a motorcycle.

·
Registered
968 Posts
is there any frame damage?
chain/sprocket/tire condition (looks like you already have an idea about that one)
clutch condition
was it ever dogged/raced
brakes
lights/blinkers
regular maintenance done?
check the VIN's i suppose

just a few questions to ask him, but i'd say 2500 is pretty fair if everything checks out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My bike had both front and rear brakes warped, which I didn't find out until later and are somewhat costly to replace (good for price negotiation). Test drive it at the very least (bring cash). Price sound reasonable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for all the information ill be looking at the bike this weekend or possibly next since we both are working pretty much all week ill let you know how it goes. Thanks again and hopefully ill have my own SV by next weekend haha

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got my 03 SV in excellent condition w/ some nice mods, new tires, nothing needing replaced, with <10 k miles for 3100. My uncles are big motorcycle guys and they helped me a lot in my search, as this is my first bike. There opinions on the price given its condition was that I didn't get ripped off, but I definitely didn't steal it from him. Depending on where you are doesnt sound like a bad deal. 2800 is a good starting point to negotiate. My guy was asking upwards of 4 almost... And i've alse been checking craigslist to see how much others are asking and I'm seeing prices in the high 3's. hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
HAHA.... i couldnt resist... i had to e-mail him. I was like nice bike, buttttt, that price is outrageous. You'll be lucky to get half that. Good luck...

Response back: "Your mother"

LOL!!! loved it. It wasn't any of my business and I didn't want it so I probably shouldnt have said anything but I just hate seeing obscene things like that. Couldn't control myself. How can you even begin to try and justify that price at those miles and age, even if its 100% flawless... people are silly... or as you put it, smokin the good stuff... wonder if he has anymore... :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Make sure you check the fame right by the slider where it went down.. not.uncommon for that frame slider to tweek the frame

1 - 15 of 15 Posts