Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SV650S, 2003 SV650N
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Considering these are Nissin and Tokico branded, matching the calipers, I figure they were original to the bike.

Braking is much improved.

I'll get some braided hoses at some point, but all the shops that make them in town are out of banjo fittings...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Why would you replace virtually brand new brake pads? You still have pad material and the backing plates left to go before you lose the brakes.

I have Galfer lines on mine. They made a huge difference in feel and performance. Combined with Vesrah pads and a Brembo master cylinder, the brakes on my SV are definitely the highest performing system on my bike.

·
Registered
2004 SV650S, 2003 SV650N
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
venhil, coremoto, galfer all make good braided lines
Just to be contrary, I usually order them from the local guys. :) I'm such a rebel.

But yeah, if they don't come through soon, I will probably get one of those.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Coremoto makes an interesting front line, believe they call it a race line, single from the master to the top of the fender then a T with one going down to the caliper and the other over the fender and down to the other caliper. fewer joints is always a good thing. With the Coremoto and Venhil you can swivel the banjos helping the installation process. Galfer makes a good line as do the others although the coating came off the banjo on the caliper end of one I had then it rusted.

Buying local is always good but not an option where we're at.

·
Registered
2004 SV650S, 2003 SV650N
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buying local is always good but not an option where we're at.
It's an option in a lot more places than people think. Many shops that do industrial hydraulics for construction equipment will also make brake lines.

Coremoto makes an interesting front line, believe they call it a race line,
I just checked the Coremoto site. Looks shiny, but holy carp the price...

·
Registered
2004 SV650S, 2003 SV650N
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Former KLR owner?
Never actually had one. Always thought one might be cool. :)

Are their parts super-cheap, or something?

I was going off the fact that the last time I had a set of three lines made, it ran me like $80, with top of the line hose.

·
Registered
162 Posts
KLR owners are known to be the cheapest motorcyclist around. Some owners would likely reline their brake pads with leather to save a dollar. They make fun of themselves for the cheapness. We've had four, using a 2006 as my primary commuter. A common front brake upgrade on a KLR is to install a SV650 front caliper with a 320MM rotor, kind of funny since SV650 owners often complain about brakes.

Great you have local resources.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A common front brake upgrade on a KLR is to install a SV650 front caliper with a 320MM rotor, kind of funny since SV650 owners often complain about brakes.
I just picked up a set of calipers from Mad8v for that very reason, left caliper to be specific. I've got that and about $300 in new seals and bearings from All Balls to refresh a new-to-me 34k mile '02 KLR this winter.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
KLR owners are known to be the cheapest motorcyclist around. Some owners would likely reline their brake pads with leather to save a dollar. They make fun of themselves for the cheapness. We've had four, using a 2006 as my primary commuter. A common front brake upgrade on a KLR is to install a SV650 front caliper with a 320MM rotor, kind of funny since SV650 owners often complain about brakes.

Great you have local resources.
SV brake hardware is fine, except the OE pads are weak. I found the same to be true on my LS650, an upgrade to the pads made the single rotor, single piston brakes tolerable.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just picked up a set of calipers from Mad8v for that very reason, left caliper to be specific. I've got that and about $300 in new seals and bearings from All Balls to refresh a new-to-me 34k mile '02 KLR this winter.
Th SV caliper is a great upgrade for the KLR, paired with Galfer, sintered pads, stainless line, and Brembo 13MM master cylinder.

·
Administrator
11,012 Posts
Th SV caliper is a great upgrade for the KLR, paired with Galfer, sintered pads, stainless line, and Brembo 13MM master cylinder.
... and forks, and egnine, and frame, and shock, and rear tire, and... oh, wait. 🤔

Reactions: Offthewallds

·
Registered
59 Posts
... and forks, and egnine, and frame, and shock, and rear tire, and... oh, wait. 🤔
I'm quickly realizing just how much there is to upgrade on this bike if I want to keep it around in our stable. Will dig into the jug this winter, might have to upgrade to a 685 kit if the cylinder is roached.

Sorry OP for derailing! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts