Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit ago I posted about how, after a wreck, my starter switch wasn't doin' the do every time and that it seemed to be getting worse. Doing what any self-respecting guy would do, I totally disassembled the right side and hosed everything down with WD-40. Problem not solved.
Several totally cool SV members chimed in with help, including using contact cleaner (now why didn't I think of that? Must have been the beer), and - most presciently - checking the connections at the clutch and kickstand killswitches.
You guessed it, after cleaning and reassembling the right side, nothing was any better so I tried jiggling the clutch switch connection and - you guessed it - started right up. $0.95 worth of dielectric grease and now I have no problems.
Back when I had an old P.O.S. BMW 2002, the fan club had a saying - "when fixing anything mechanical, always think horses before zebras." Had I done so I would not have missed a few beautiful days of riding b/c my right handlebar was pulled apart.
To all who helped me solve my little problem - Gracias!

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts
What exactly does horses before zebras mean?
Think Occam's razor. On the zebra quote, it's from medicine - my sister learned it at UMD. "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras." Essentially, the simplest explanation is usually correct.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Think Occam's razor. On the zebra quote, it's from medicine - my sister learned it at UMD. "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras." Essentially, the simplest explanation is usually correct.
Oh sure in this country, but what if you were in a country that had more zebras than horses? Then would you think zebras not horses? ;D

Thanks for the explanation MrDan.

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts
Oh sure in this country, but what if you were in a country that had more zebras than horses? Then would you think zebras not horses? ;D

Thanks for the explanation MrDan.
Good point. Might be an issue in Tijuana too where the zebra's are just spray painted donkeys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
my grand ma has a pic from the 50's with that "zebra" what is awesome is i can go to the same corner in TJ and take a pic with a "zebra"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts