Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having a perfect solution for those people behind you in a hurry, (and it always seems there not paying attention to whats happening in front of them) please post!

·
Registered
317 Posts
well, these time you have to be careful cuz your not in a car... the guy behind u can run over u soooo easily, so first thing to do is to see what kind of driver is driving, then, by your judgement, you do what you gotta do...
1time I was being rushed by a taxi, and he tried to cut me, i was soooooo ****** I couldnt take it anymore, it was a one way, one lane street, so I stopped my bike and went to yell at him , he kinda ignore me, so I went back on the bike and rode at not even 5-10km/h just to **** him off, then when a lane opened he rushed on up, later on I see a cop pulling him over... man I was happy.

but when I see someone in a fancy car (mustang GT, audi, bmw, skyline) them are just excited and wanna have a run.. so if im up for it, i go ahead and have some fun... hehe , if not, I go on the other lane and let them pass...

If the guy looks drunk, or angry, I get the hell out of here...

it all depends on the situation

·
Registered
172 Posts
Safest thing to do is to let cooler heads prevail. Not always the easiest thing to do, but better to live to ride another day. Most times I prefer to have goofballs like that in FRONT of me so I can keep a wary eye on them. The best thing to do is let them get past...you know they'll just end up riding someone else's butt! People who drive like that basically just race from one back bumper to the next.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If someone is up too close for my comfort, I usually start with dropping my left arm and making a "stop" hand signal. I think I heard about this at my MSF course or maybe from somebody I rode with in CA. The idea is to add a human element...and not let them think it is just a motorcycle in front of them. Usually works, but if not, I will pull over to let them by.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I do like copper although I dont remember it mentioned in my class I agree about the human element.
Its hard to not react like you do in a car.
If you got room in front of you but not beside then see if making room will remedy the situation. If you got room to get in another lane then go. If you are on a one way or 2 lane hwy best to just pull over @ the safest spot.

·
Super Moderator
9,060 Posts
I usually go slightly faster than traffic flow since I don't like vehicles coming up on me from behind.

If there is someone behind that wants to go faster than me for any reason, I just move to the slower lane or make room for them to pass.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Let them pass...or you can be an idiot and try to get yourself killed...up 2 u...

ETA: I am happy when someone is running faster than me...i call them mine sweapers...i stay just far enough back from them to let them get the heat from the cops running radar...

·
Registered
71 Posts
i saw a video on utube (scary) and the guy wobbled the bike like he was going to fall, which led to the person behind him backing up quite a bit.
i would say move over is the best course.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I deliberately swerve when I see a person in the left turn lane ahead and think they might not be paying attention.

Its never made the person behind me back off further (that ive noticed) but it got me ready to swerve when the left turner didnt see me once and most times the left turners sit there and look at me like WTF?! but hey, gets them paying attention.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
FUGG THAT!
My first ever passenger ride on a sportbike the rider did that and it scared the crap outta ME! I thought I was doing something to make the bike do that!!!

altho it might make em back off...

Or u can tell them to kiss your ass....and stand up on your pegs haha kidding kidding, dont!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I've had good luck keeping butt suckers at bay, I usually have something bungeed to the back, sometimes my cane/walking stick, its attached so that it can't fall off, but to someone close behind you can't see that, only my cane ready to come hurling off my bike and right thru your windshield

I have found that obnoxiouly loud pipes keep people a little further back as well

some people though have to be stuck right up yer ass, they think it's NASCAR

what works best for me is strategic passing, sometimes waiting right till the end of the passing zone and pulling a last minute pass or just making a double yellow pass, I have found, that except in Vermont, you don't see cagers making double yellow passes very often

or something else that works sometimes, if your a big intimidating hulk like me, is just standing on the pegs and turn around and give them a stare

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I do the bar wiggle sometimes, not too hard cuz it'll put you into a tank slapper.

If that does'nt work and I'm on a four lane I find a nice tight spot to merge into and scrape them off my butt with another car.

If on a two lane I'll pass on double yellows or even the shoulder and stick to the front of that car for a bit in case the gater tries to get back behind me.

If theres nothing ahead of me I'm off like a rocket.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
The Recon 19 tank bag does have some change pouches conveniently located right in reach. You could always give them your $.02 :mad:

Seriously though.

In the city I will wait for a move over and wait to get next to them at a light and give them a piece of my mind. Whether it matters or not. Mostly just for self gratification.

On the back roads I usually speed up a bit to see if it makes a difference. If not I make some gestures (hazards, hand signals) to get the point across I don't appreciate the push. If neither make a difference I just get out of the way. Sometimes I take off and sometimes I just pull over right off the bat. All depends on time of day, road, area, vehicle tailgating, how long I have been on the road, familiarity with road, a whole bunch of different things.

·
Registered
225 Posts
ETA: I am happy when someone is running faster than me...i call them mine sweapers...i stay just far enough back from them to let them get the heat from the cops running radar...
This is great to do on a bike or in a car. I usually go ~8mph over the limit, and if I can see some jerk in my mirror weaving in and out of traffic, I move over and let him by. I know they'll clear the traffic somewhat for me, as well as grab the attention of any LEOs. I did this with some guy in a C-class a few weeks back. I could see him a ways back, and instead of waiting for him to get on my butt, I just moved over to let him pass, then followed behind him for a good 20 miles on the freeway. I ended up making it to school about ten minutes earler than usual.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts