Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Bike I like otherwise tend to have cheap suspensions
  • My butt likes Corbin
  • Do not overtighten the side cover bolts

Bolts are on order... Gonna have to break out the left hand drill bits. :mad:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Cheap butt ache solution used by many over here in Blighty :)

:D

·
Registered
2004 SV650S, 2003 SV650N
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This baby came in real handy when I was rebuilding my carbs. I simply Dremeled a notch into the stripped screw heads and hit it with the impact and straight screwdriver bit. Worked like a charm.

1/4" impact driver

I got a couple of those things kicking around, too. Been banging on old bikes a while... :)

·
Registered
2004 SV650S, 2003 SV650N
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I managed to get one out. The other one, I drilled off the head. Royal PITA that was. Couldn't really grab the remainder with visegrips and cutting a slot and hitting it with an impact driver didn't work.

I think I'm heading towards "weld a nut on it".

Why the hell did they bother having these screws, even? The covers weigh nothing and are held in perfectly well with the plastic mushroom thingies.

Also, I finally figured out how to set the clock.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I had similar problems when I serviced the carbs on my 99 last year. I doubt the carbs had been touched/moved in 19+ years. I had to use some Let-Hand drill bits to get some of the headless screws out that broke off. On refit I now use Dielectric grease

to prevent time seizure for future servicing. I changed to using this after research on boat forums as it's helps prevent the galvanic corrosion that can happen between different metal fasteners. Also when I do top-end servicing and I have the tank up I lube every fastener and cable linkages etc with ACF50 and or PTFE chain lube ( also on levers and gear linkages etc) again thinking ahead for future ease of servicing. I do similar when I do brakes etc and it makes re-servicing a breeze :)

Reactions: Geo Smith
1 - 9 of 9 Posts