Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I came home from a weekend wedding trip in Austin to find that my garage had AGAIN been broken into.The side door had been busted in, the brand new deadbolt was intact, but the doorframe was hosed.
They stole some of my drum equipment, some hand tools, a bunch of stereo equipment, photography tripods... and tried to steal my bike. The tank bolts were missing and the tank was wedged up onto my now scratched-to-hell triple clamp, both side engine covers were broken off and the ignition wires had been cut. It looks like (and the cops agreed) that they were interrupted or decided that they wouldn't be able to get the bike out the door--since my wife's car is always parked right up against the garage door. I also long ago safety-wired the manual door release so that it can't function.

This is the second time in less than a year that my garage has be robbed. The first time they stole ALL of my tools AND my workbench! Needless to say I am livid.

But insurance will cover the loss fortunately.

But for sure I am doing several things. I'm buying a motorcycle pager alarm. I am fabricating a hinged steel door barricade bolted into the studs on either side of the door (its in a hallway). And I am setting up a motion sensor triggered camera system to catch any of those bastards that do manage to make it inside the garage in the future.

Anyway, for all you guys who think your bike is safe out of sight in your garage.... think again and protect yourself!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Time to move out of the hood.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
You might consider sinking an "eye" bolt into the floor and chaining your bike into it.  

You can buy cheap, fake (but real looking) cameras that even have a blinking red light... Put a few of them around the perimiter for a cheap deterrent.  

I'd look around for a security door and heavy duty hinges... then reinforce it all with steel braces.  An alarm would be a good idea too.  

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Novadesigns said:
Actually, I live in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the area... that's whty theives come here because they can steal nicer stuff.
No friendly neighborhood watch program going on there then???

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I used to live in Abilene for a few years, Dyess AFB. Went up to Dallas/Ft.Worth a couple times and hated every trip. I'd tell you to move but it's not quite that easy of course. Good luck with the security upgrade. I couldn't fathom being robbed, it'd kill me. :'( :mad:

·
Registered
397 Posts
that suxx man, why dont you hook up your garage door up with an alarm. If you already have a house alarm, you can add the garage option. Basically there'll be a keypad at the door for pin entry. If things are sketchy...the whole house goes crazy...my cat accidentally set off my house alarm once...I don't know any theifs that would be stupid enough to continue doing what they're doing...then again, never underestimate the power of stupidity...

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is why I love my glock 26 and the 12 gauge in the house. Probably the same people and they won't do it again after they're been caried by 6.

ok ok get a video cam thing and get they're faces and then contact the police.

stay safe

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
A note about your camera idea...
I do tech support, all technologies, if it takes electricity I get to support it.
I deal with surveilance equipment from time to time and used to sell such equipment when I worked at RadioShack for 3 years...

There are big problems with cameras...
Poor resolution
Poor lighting
Poor recording quality
Lack of proper tape changes
Equipment failure

These all lead to either no image or an image that isn't particularly useful. Even if you get an OK image, it may not be good enough to identify... even if it is good enough to identify, unless the police know the guy you're not likely to get anywhere with your footage.

I know a guy who lives in a multi-million dollar house with state of the art surveilance installed by one of the areas best... he still had similar problems as mentioned above.

·
Registered
143 Posts
then he is an idiot lol. gas stations have cameras that are outside 24/7 and have no problems with this. you will be inside. yes the lighting could be a problem but computer software even on a highend webcam can lighten it up pretty good.

me personally I'd move everything away from that door and to the other side. then I would put up a metal fense and run electricity through it just like a cattle fense but up the voltage a bit. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Man that sux I feel for you. My bike was stolen about 2 years ago. I GOT HER BACK THOUGHT. All beat to shit mind you. Didnt get  her back on the road till the start of this summer thought. I say you rig up a nice shot gun at balls level wit a simple trip wire. I had some assholes poseing as magazine salesmen steal my garage door remotes just this past weekend too. Crime sucks. I seriously believe I will shoot anyone I was to catch breaking into my house and take my chances with a jury later b/c so many people I know are SO SICK of this kind of shit. Now your insurance cost etc.. all go up. It is a bullshit game where the bad guy always wins and we good guys end up paying more and more of our hard earned $ in attempts to avoid such cowardess crap from these sub-human POS. I am actually going to a housing authority meeting in my neighborhood tonight to try to stop some of this crap. I mean I am thinking of the dickless wussies who do this shit too b/c like I said earlier,,,,I would so rather roll the dice after the shooting than before. Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my garage is part of my 6 unit apartment building. There's no way to link my apartment alarm system to the garage. But I believe that the barricade will definitely work. I used to have one like it on my basement bulkhead when I lived up in Boston. You'd need a bulldozer to get through that. Funny it really seems like Dallas doesn't take security very seriously. Oh you can get monitored alarms for $$$$$$, but there are no places to buy really good locks and barricades like I could find easily up north. No wonder the crime rate here is so much higher. ::)

So I'll fabricate one and be done with it.

I'm just glad I still have the bike.

One nice thing about Texas over the noetheast though, its much easier to obtain and keep a weapon. :)

As far as the camera idea... yeah I realize those issues. But both the police and I strongly suspect that the theif is someone who lives in the complex---or works here. If I were to get an image it would be fairly quick to determine if its a neighbor or a maintenance worker.

·
Registered
143 Posts
if your 21 head on over to packing.org ar15.com or glocktalk.com and check with your laws. I belive texas you can shoot to defend your property but I am NOT sure of this. In WI I can not!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL, I only wish I was still 21 ;)

Actually I spoke to the police officer about that last night and I can indeed defend my property by deadly force. In a way that's comforting... although if it came right down to it, I wouldn't be confortable having to kill someone over a bike and a drumset. But I sure as hell could take out the bastard's kneecaps! ;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Novadesigns said:
LOL, I only wish I was still 21 ;)

Actually I spoke to the police officer about that last night and I can indeed defend my property by deadly force. In a way that's comforting... although if it came right down to it, I wouldn't be confortable having to kill someone over a bike and a drumset. But I sure as hell could take out the bastard's kneecaps! ;)
True, but a dead man can't defend himself in court ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
better to kill him! him and his family will sue you, retaliation, and your legal expense will be in the tens of thousands.  

dead men don't tell lies :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts