Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went over to a local motorcycle shop this morning to have them put on a new front tire for me. They just called me up and say that i have a bent front axle that needs to either be straightened or replaced. I dont know toooooo much about the aftermath of wrecks or how they work on metal, but i would imagine that it would be pretty **** hard to bend the axle before any other parts on the bike. I also did a carfax report and it says that the bike has never had any reported accidents. The owner of the bike before me said that the owner before him downed it on a slow corner but the only parts replace were the front fearing and frame sliders. I suppose it might be possible that if the axle wasnt lubed the last time the tire was changed it could have been warped in some way... but im not sure. So my question to you guys is:

Does this mechanics story wreak of Bullshist? and if so, how should i go about it?

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Make them show you the axle. Not that they couldn't a bent one to show you. I don't really see it as something that they could have done, but then again, they could have. However I am not buying it.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
when you ride it can you feel it? it shouldn't be too much to get another axle if it bugs you that bad. i would think that bending it back would weaken it.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
It's possible to bend the axle, I have seen a few.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Bent fork before an axle gets bent.

Take off the forks and look at where they mount to the triple.
If you got a crease there, they are junk.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I can't imagine they'd make up something like that. What's in it for them? It's a $46 part from Ron Ayers that takes all of a minute to install. You'd think that if they were trying to screw you, they'd at least make it worthwhile and try and bill you for a couple hundred bucks or more.

I'd bet that there's at least one person on here that has a leftover axle they'd be willing to give you for next to nothing. I've got 1 or 2 1st gen axles in my garage, but that won't really help you.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when you ride it can you feel it? it shouldn't be too much to get another axle if it bugs you that bad. i would think that bending it back would weaken it.
As far as i could tell, the bike rode fine. It wasnt bumpy nor did it pull in any way. I took it to 135 yesterday and it was smooth. So i dunno. I they said a new one would cost me $50 so i dont know if they might pull something like putting the old on back in and keeping the cash....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make them show you the axle. Not that they couldn't a bent one to show you. I don't really see it as something that they could have done, but then again, they could have. However I am not buying it.
Well to hax their story if thats all it really was, i said that my buddy has a truck and i would just haul the bike back and find an axle somewhere else. So they said they are going to try bending it. Either way in the long run im probly just going to get a new one cuz they will probly **** this one up. A front axel is something I can do, but i dont have a tire changer so blah blah blah

·
Registered
459 Posts
if you told them you'd just pick it up and they said they will try to straighten it anyway, hope they mess it up, then they have to replace it for free.. lol

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
So they said they are going to try bending it.
Yeah, see this is where I have the problem. They should be like.."ok. But we can't install it back on the bike." Or something to that fact. I mean, yeah they might be right and not try to eff you in some way. But something just doesn't see right. If it had been a shop I was in, I would call and say it's bent, I'd like to show you it, can you stop by. Maybe I just don't trust other shops these days. And I am reading too much into it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
i agree with you, if the axle is bent, something else on the bike would be too.

i call BS on this one, maybe they bent it when they removed/or put it back in and just won't own up to it?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are going to love this... I just went over there, they said they had a pic of it. I asked to see it and they showed me a picture of a rear axle. I pointed that small detail out to them and they gave me back my bike with the new tire on free of charge.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You guys are going to love this... I just went over there, they said they had a pic of it. I asked to see it and they showed me a picture of a rear axle. I pointed that small detail out to them and they gave me back my bike with the new tire on free of charge.

wow dude. i hope that's the last time you ever take your bike there.

seriously, you should check your bike over and see if they screwed anything else up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks like a free tire for shut up money.

Tell everyone what shop it was. I would never want to take my bike there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts