Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been browsing my local Craigslist adds for awhile in the hopes of finding a good deal on an I4 (gsxr, cbr, r1, etc) and I've noticed that adds always place the blame on the bike being down due to the previous owner. Why can't people own up and just say that they dropped it? Is it a sales tactic trying to limit their accountability that it's a sound machine? Regardless, if I know it's been dropped and can see the damage, it won't matter who did it. It's still been dropped.

Example:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/1088212548.html

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
People buy GixxerBoi bikes because they think it'll make them look cool and feel macho. After they drop it once or twice they realize that the bike is way too much for them, and decide to sell it...they still think they're cool and macho.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i bought my sv off someone who said the previous owner dropped it. i didn't believe him because he was definitly a squid but i got a good deal on it because of a little road rash.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I've been browsing my local Craigslist adds for awhile in the hopes of finding a good deal on an I4 (gsxr, cbr, r1, etc) and I've noticed that adds always place the blame on the bike being down due to the previous owner. Why can't people own up and just say that they dropped it? Is it a sales tactic trying to limit their accountability that it's a sound machine? Regardless, if I know it's been dropped and can see the damage, it won't matter who did it if I am interested in buying it.

Example:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/1088212548.html
You make a fine point. Saying the PO dropped it means that they don't have to answer any questions about the severity of damage, etc.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
So if your not worried about it and it doesnt make a difference in whether you are interested in teh bike....why are you b**ching about it?

A lot of people buy bikes used, a lot of bikes have been dropped previously...why call people liers when you have no proof to the contrary?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i'm not doubting that you can find good deals on a slightly rashed bike but it seems that a majority of adds that mention the bike being down, blame it on the previous owner. I've called before on rashed bikes to see if there is any mechanical damage besides the physical and a majority said that they "didn't know." So, in these instances I have offered to pay half to have a local shop check it out and they all decline, even when I guarantee that I will buy the bike if it comes out clean. Oh well, it would just be easier if they were straight up about it all.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if your not worried about it and it doesnt make a difference in whether you are interested in teh bike....why are you b**ching about it?

A lot of people buy bikes used, a lot of bikes have been dropped previously...why call people liers when you have no proof to the contrary?
You clearly didn't understand what I said. I don't care WHO dropped it. I just want the information on how it happened, damage, etc. That alone will tell you what you are getting yourself into.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
yeah i'm not doubting that you can find good deals on a slightly rashed bike but it seems that a majority of adds that mention the bike being down, blame it on the previous owner. I've called before on rashed bikes to see if there is any mechanical damage besides the physical and a majority said that they "didn't know." So, in these instances I have offered to pay half to have a local shop check it out and they all decline, even when I guarantee that I will buy the bike if it comes out clean. Oh well, it would just be easier if they were straight up about it all.
You ask the owner to pay half of the cost to have a dealer look at the bike?

I would also tell you to pound sand....why would i waste my time and money taking it somewhere...???

odd...

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
You clearly didn't understand what I said. I don't care WHO dropped it. I just want the information on how it happened, damage, etc. That alone will tell you what you are getting yourself into.
I understood you perfectly...i just dont understand why you are calling everyone liers and cheats...and why it bothers you so much...

If they sound shady...dont buy the bike...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You ask the owner to pay half of the cost to have a dealer look at the bike?

I would also tell you to pound sand....why would i waste my time and money taking it somewhere...???

odd...
Well, if they don't know the extent of the damage and they want to sell it, then they will do what they can to appease the buyer. If they think they can hold out and get some other fool to buy a tweaked frame then that's their call. I'm not taking a 19 yr. olds word when they tell me they have had the bike for 3 months, was "adult" driven, but has rash.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Dude look...i do enough research about any high dollar item i may want to purchase used that i can look at it by myself and tell if it were damaged. If it is, i ask them about it to their face...if i feel they are being un-truthful with me, i walk, if i feel anything is odd about the sale what-so-ever i walk....

I put very little faith in descriptions written on the internet...if its an item i am interested in, i look at it first hand and figure it out. You may want to look into doing the same.

Some people lie, thats the sad truth, however saying that anyone posting "the PO dropped it" is being deceitful is not right.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understood you perfectly...i just dont understand why you are calling everyone liers and cheats...and why it bothers you so much...

If they sound shady...dont buy the bike...
I want to buy a sound machine. If it bothered that much then I would just buy new and not even deal with this mess.

Anyone serious about a motorcycle wants to know the full extent of any damage that is coming with a bike. I find it hard to believe that they don't know how it happened.

I have checked out many bikes in person looking for imperfections. I requested a shop look over a few times when I saw a dinged frame, fork tube, etc. They were good deals to begin with so I wanted to make sure it wasn't "too good to be true." Many times I just look and walk away as you said. That's why I am still looking.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
^^ It comes down to using judgement.

The kid I bought my bike from was in LOVE with the bike. He even had the bike as the background on his phone. Never dropped and i believed him. He seemed straight up even though he was only a 19 y/o kid. Age doesn't matter as much as character anyways.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I am the third owner of my bike. It was on its side before I bought it (and it has been on its side, since.) The seller told me that the original owner crashed it, but really, who cares? I looked it over carefully before I bought it (for a really good price), and have no regrets.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm the third owner of my bike. The guy I bought it from totally admitted to having dropped it. The slight scratches totally matched his description as well.

So, there's at least a few guys out there that are man enough to admit it was them and not the previous owner.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I'm the original owner of my bike and I've dropped it once. It was a zero speed tip over...my own stupid fault. I had Motosliders on though so there was no damage.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I see what the OP is saying, it's not that they are lying about who dropped it, it's that saying the PO dropped it is a "get out of jail free card" so to speak. If they said they didn't drop it and will make no claim to the amount of damage, it can be annoying. I don't want to drive three hours to look at a bike that there is "nothing wrong with that I can see" just to find it has a cracked frame or something.

Kind of a round about way of saying it, but I think I made sense.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Your looking here too? Haha.. Ill never find anything cheap.. I have friends looking in Texas and asking me to ride back.. I am looking for something that dosent require to shift as often as the sv. Good luck finding something man.

Shuluke

1 - 20 of 24 Posts