Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

...and installed on a TL-S:

I've seen it in some SV pics, used to heat shield the shock from the rear pipe, and it shows up frequently on H-D customs. I doubt it has much direct performance value, since "under-hood" temps aren't a concern for most SVs, but I'm curious about it anyway, more as a cosmetic thing than for any good reason.

"This stuff stinks when it gets wet. I told myself, "this will get better once it drys out." And it does get better once it drys out. The problem is that life on a bike is not always dry. Get caught in the rain - it stinks again. Take a ride after it rains and the wrap gets wet - it stinks again. Splash water from a puddle on the wrap - it stinks again. And of, course, it gets much worse when you have to stop for a light or for traffic. Because then you don't have the wind blowing the stink past you. You just sit there in the middle of the stink. Acheing to start moving again."

http://www.xs11.com/faq/faqpipes.shtml
True?

:)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I put it on when I did the conversion on mine. I wanted to cut the heat the paint on the faring was going to get and cut the temp in the faring its self.  I dont know if I would do it on a half faring because the parts of mine that are still in the wind started to fray a while ago. I can also tell you that the picture of the TL is probably right after the put the wrap on... the front pipe gets kinda nasty looking after a while. Notice the difference in color between the top part of the front header vs the lower section that sticks out of the faring.

First I put it on just the headers,

But I kept burning my boot on the pipe so I put it the rest of the way out (I changed to Woodcraft rear sets). Fixed the problem but no picture of that yet.

As for preformance, I did have to rejet a little ( dont remember changes) according to my O2 sensors, so it did change the mix a little. I dont get as much heat off the bike through the faring. I had to cut the little tab deals off the faring in order to have room for my ram air so I get a lot of heat through there.

Over all im happy with the results. If your going to do it I would get the graphite color 1" wide. Its easier to wrap in the tight spaces like the rear header curve etc. Also, expect a lot of smoking and bad smell the first time you start it. It will take a little while for that to wear off.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
i thought you were supposed to spray the high-temp DEI silicone on it after you were done to preserve the wrap and give it a nice black(or clear) color?

·
Registered
200 Posts
becman said:
i thought you were supposed to spray the high-temp DEI silicone on it after you were done to preserve the wrap and give it a nice black(or clear) color?
The DEI wrap i used on my R1 had to be applied like that.

I am probably going to use the extra wrap I have and do the SV

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the boards I looked at made reference to the sillicon seal stuff; I think it was a brush on product there, though. It looks like that's worth doing. DEI is a competing product to Thermotec, but I imagine they're very similar so the silicon seal should work on either.

I was thinking about getting the whitish wrap, but it looks like the black (-ish) stuff would be a better choice. BTW, for you guys that have used this, is there any truth to the comments from the XS11 board about the smell that won't go away?

·
Registered
187 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
One of the boards I looked at made reference to the sillicon seal stuff; I think it was a brush on product there, though. It looks like that's worth doing. DEI is a competing product to Thermotec, but I imagine they're very similar so the silicon seal should work on either.

I was thinking about getting the whitish wrap, but it looks like the black (-ish) stuff would be a better choice. BTW, for you guys that have used this, is there any truth to the comments from the XS11 board about the smell that won't go away?

yeah, the black one won't show all the crap that i guarantee will show up on the whitish wrap

·
Registered
653 Posts
The rejetting makes sense. Wrapping the tubes traps in the heat and hotter exhaust gas moves faster through the header. I wonder if there is a relationship between the relative increase in gas temperature and the necassary increase in jetting....Who's a carb genious.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well perhaps I didnt do everything I should have. The DEI looks like a cleaner installation.

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=13

This is the DEI product mentioned above. It indicates that it can be used on many different apps. I think I will purchase some of this and see how it works with the Thermo Tec wrap on my bike. If things go to crap then I will just replace with some DEI wrap, which looks much better IMO.

Thanks for info  :)

Oops, forgot to mention: Even though I didnt coat the wrap on mine, the smell did eventually go away. :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a 1" x 15' roll of the black DEI wrap today ($11 at Advance Auto, no shipping!). According to them, the DEI paint is just plain ol' hi-temp header paint which makes sense I guess. Either way, I didn't order it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The paint seals the wrap. You can get it in other colors. I think they (DEI) suggest the paint. Don't forget some hose clamps or the metal ties DEI sells--paint them too with the high temp if you go black

·
Registered
99 Posts
The thermotec Copper stuff works great. It blocks so much heat it is insane.. i can litteraly touch the Hot pipes with my hand (VERY BRIEFLY of course) where it woudl have scaulded me before without the wrapped pipe.

I installed it on my stock exhaust after my girlfrined burned her leg like 3 times... haha.. one time was bad (rigth on the pipe, as opposed to just the can) and she now has a permantent scar..

others have too been burned too, usually on the can, but the pipes are it really gets hot....

i didnt want that to happen again and it has saved Me from a bit of a burn once... thoguh i was wearing pants.. I definatly appreciated that addition..

Now i have a Yosh Trs and am thinking of doign the same to that exhaust system.

It does work though i dont know if it gives you any gains.. it might lean out the fuel air a wee bit... and therfore provide a small oportunity for like 1 extra hp or so..

Mostly its just great protection.

It does stink... a wee bit. Whatever.. its not bad.. just makes you wonder "whats burning" every once in a blue moon. Water does make it smell come out a bit.. though it mostly wears off after time.

Get a fender extender to rpotect the front header as road grime actually beats the wrap right up to the point where it starts to look shredded.

its cheap and safe... and looks ok. Tak ey oru time to do it neatly. wrap it on TIGHT and even.

you will need atleast 50ft of the 1" for the sv650 exhaust. I didnt use the sealant.. but might next time.. .if i can find a clear high temp silicon sealant.

·
Registered
684 Posts
holy old thread batman! but fyi do not powerwash or high pressure hose wash it, it will fray like 10 year old jeans

·
Registered
159 Posts
FYI that stuff doesn't last that long, depending on your weather conditions of course. I wrapped the pipes on my 916 ~7 months ago and they are starting to fray. Also here's a tip to keep'em together = saftey wire :)

As far as performance gains goes it may be there but nothing i could notice, but my legs sure thank me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
+1 on safety wire. That works well. I use wrap on the rear cylinder pipe on my SV race bike to keep the heat off of the shock. I also use it in low clearance places to keep the heat from melting the body work.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I had the black wrap on my pipes for about 10 months(which discolored after a few months). Pulled it off and my pipes were showing a little rust on them and this is in a locale that gets 10 inches of rain a year. IMO- not worth it. I wont use header wrap again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No personal experience here, but was talking to an old flat tracker a few months back and he said if you want your pipes to rust quicker, wrap them with this stuff. Makes sense, I suspect it traps moisture the same way fiberglass does on boat hulls.
Rob

·
Registered
159 Posts
robdleejr said:
I had the black wrap on my pipes for about 10 months(which discolored after a few months). Pulled it off and my pipes were showing a little rust on them and this is in a locale that gets 10 inches of rain a year. IMO- not worth it. I wont use header wrap again.
i forgot to mention this in my post earlier, but you do know they are not a permanent fix right? Heck i've known a few car guys who have left the wraps on for 1.5yrs and rotted right through their headers. This stuff is made to be replaced (how often depends on road conditions, humidity, etc).

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
duey said:
i forgot to mention this in my post earlier, but you do know they are not a permanent fix right? Heck i've known a few car guys who have left the wraps on for 1.5yrs and rotted right through their headers. This stuff is made to be replaced (how often depends on road conditions, humidity, etc).
I'm a bit confused, I wasnt using them to fix anything.  :dontknow:I pretty much thought they looked [email protected]$$ so that is why I got em. I guess if your a racer, you are likely replacing pipes pretty often (??) so the rusting may not concern you, but for a street bike, be prepared to have rusty pipes if you take off the wrap.

·
Registered
436 Posts
robdleejr said:
I'm a bit confused, I was using them to fix anything.  :dontknow:I pretty much thought they looked [email protected]$$ so that is why I got em. I guess if your a racer, you are likely replacing pipes pretty often (??) so the rusting may not concern you, but for a street bike, be prepared to have rusty pipes if you take off the wrap.
We've never had that problem with our M4 systems on our race bikes- all are wrapped.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts