Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the forum. I live in Los Angeles and NO bike is safe.

In the past year and a half, I have had 2 FZ’s Stolen From a condo That has a gate and my car backed up to it.I bought a “crappy”, but cool SV and that week I found it with a screwdriver down the ignition.
I am getting the bike back from the mechanic, but I’m not sure what to do cuz I want to be able to replace an ignition. It doesn’t look hard, but I was wondering if you guys knew of any good tutorials? I would love to have to not buy whole new ignitions. How do I simply rekey the cylinder? Is a keyless option a good idea? Any other badass detourants on the market you know it? The best security products?
I wanted to focus on making sure this ignition situation doesn’t cost me 6 months of riding again, but also wanted to see what y’all’s ideas were about best anti theft practices (preferably cost effective but ANYTHING is appreciated).
I want to buy a taser and catch one of these creeps in the act! 😂

·
Registered
2004 SV650S, 2003 SV650N
72 Posts
I am getting the bike back from the mechanic, but I’m not sure what to do cuz I want to be able to replace an ignition. It doesn’t look hard, but I was wondering if you guys knew of any good tutorials?
It's literally two screws and one electrical plug. Screws are on the underside of the top triple and are probably some sort of a "security bit", unless someone did it before and replaced them with regular bolts.

How do I simply rekey the cylinder?
Rekeying normally requires a new cylinder, or a wafer kit. You don't really need much in the way of special tools, but you do need to know what you are doing.

It really isn't worth getting tools and parts to rekey locks unless you expect to be doing this a lot, like a locksmith. Best bet is to buy a new lockset.

Is a keyless option a good idea?
You lose the steering lock when you go keyless.

Any other badass detourants on the market you know it? The best security products?
Chaining to a solid object is good.

Disk lock is good to keep away people who want to take it for a ride, but someone who wants to break it for parts will pick it up and toss it in a van.

Many disk locks are crap. This one is pretty good:

Also - put a cover on it. Out of sight, out of mind.

I want to buy a taser and catch one of these creeps in the act! 😂
In theory, so does everyone. In practice, that way lie assault charges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts