Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Italians and must confess that I had to sell my latest SV to fund the purchase of my second Itilian beauty... Sad to see her roll down the driveway for the last time but I'm hoping to get the young guy who bought her on here. This is what replaced her... :icon_biggrin:

2002 Ducati 998
Here's a list of most of the aftermarket stuff...Termignoni 57mm CF racing exhaust * dedicated ECU and adjustable fuel trimer * * carbon fiber rear fender / chain guard by Ducati Performance * carbon fiber exhaust guard by Ducati Performance * "STM" body plug kit * carbon fiber Ducati Corsa rear seat section * titanium fully adjustable rear set by "SATO" * reverse "GP" shift pattern * titanium rear brake lever * quick release fairing locks * "STM" breather kit * "STM" clutch slave cylinder ( larger) * RCM clutch and front sprocket covers * new clutch with harder springs and pressure plate * radiator guard * " Brembo" radial brake master cylinder with fully adjustable lever * smoke windscreen by " Zero Gravity" * hard plastic front brake lines by " Frein'' * high friction brake pads by "Ferodo' * high intensity 100watts halogen bulbs * Carbon fiber gas tank * carbon fiber front fender * carbon fiber airbox * carbon fiber air runners * carbon fiber front fairing casoli * carbon fiber under tail and a few more goodies. Got a good price and the guy even threw in a rashed set of plastics and tank if I want to swap for the track and a brand new pair of Oxtar Evo Ti boots that he bought and never wore :)
Here's a few pics, I just thought I'd share...

Thanks for looking,
Toran

p.s. before anyone starts asking... no the Ferrari is not mine... :) These pics were taken at the previous owners house...he owns the Ferrari (but he did let me take the Stallion for a quick ride before I left :) ).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) rears are aftermarket but fronts are stock... pretty ugly too for Ducati design (imo). Some day they'll get changed out... :)

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
neat

·
MOTORADOR
10,961 Posts
Congrats!

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I was distracted by the Ferrari Modena in the background
I did spend a good bit of time oggling it myself when I was there :) He also had a Porsche Carerra Turbo and a convertible hard top Mercedes AMG compressor... custom flat black and absolutely stunning. I was being very nice, trying to make him my new best friend :)

Toran

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've ridden one Ducati SS in my life, and man.... I couldn't imagine taking a trip on that thing. It was an extreme body position which is obviously purpose-built for the race track.

While it was not the "all arounder" that I need, the sex appeal and the exhaust sound are :drool: intoxicating!!!!!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've ridden one Ducati SS in my life, and man.... I couldn't imagine taking a trip on that thing. It was an extreme body position which is obviously purpose-built for the race track.

While it was not the "all arounder" that I need, the sex appeal and the exhaust sound are :drool: intoxicating!!!!!!
agreed... :)
I won't be "touring" with it but will hit up some fun twisties and ride around town when I need an ego boost :hug::icon_biggrin:
I'm thinking of using STRBX or WNABE as my vanity plate :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is a whole lot of sexy in those pictures but those signals definitely need to gtfo, congrats on the new toy

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a whole lot of sexy in those pictures but those signals definitely need to gtfo, congrats on the new toy
Couldn't agree more... hard to believe that with all the sexy Tamburini styling he'd allow (or even design) those...

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Sometimes the lighting is regulated by the various Governments licensing them for the street, so I'd cut the bike some slack. If all you notice is the signals....it's like meeting a gorgeous woman and being obsessed by a single hair on her hand, or the like.

I DO like Ducks, and hope you enjoy tinkering if you're going to ride it a lot. The Desmo System is neato, but seems to be a bit challenging to adjust properly from what I've seen. Perfectly awesome bike for sure....kind of like a rich man's SV1K.:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I still remember to this day the first time I rode a duc. My step dad had a yellow 1997 900CR, and he took me out for about a 30 min ride. It had Fast by Ferracci carbon slip-ons, what a sound. That was the bike that hooked me on sports v-twins over 4-cylinder bikes. Someday I'll own a duc

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Wow, what a stunner. I too am a nut for Italian metal. The Ferrari badge might be a bit much though.

Funny, I was at my sis' the other day and this~

along with an AMG and a California were in the driveway.

Not surprising. That area (San Raefel) is very wealthy.

These are what the cops ride~

Anyway, back ot, congrats! That is a lovely bike. I'd sell my sv in a hot minute for the Ducati.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:) thanks guys...
And now a little history lesson...
the Ferrari badges were put on by the previous owner (who owns a Ferrari) but I've seen them om Duc's before. I did a little research and Ducati actually used the Ferrari logo back in the 50's and 60's but eventually did away with it. The two companies were never connected (and still aren't) but the Ferrari logo isn't original with Ferrari actually. Here's a tidbit from the Ducati website on the history of the "prancing horse" pulled from the history archives on Ducati.com...

"Many Ducatisti, upon visiting our museum or leafing through books on Ducati's history, have posed an interesting question: Why do some Ducatis of the past bear a prancing horse nearly identical to that of Ferrari's?
For a short time, our racing motorcycles and a 98cc road version (called "Cavallino" in Europe and "Bronco" in the U.S.) sported on their side panels a horse identical to that of the Ferrari emblem. For those fond of old stories about Ducati, the symbol helped identify our motorcycles as "Ferraris on two wheels."
Around 1956, Fabio Taglioni, Ducati's head engineer, asked for and received approval to paint the noted horse on our motorcycles. The first bike donning this symbol was the 125Triple Camshaft Desmo of 1956, which debuted and won the Sweden GP of that year. Later, other motorcycles such as the Marianna, several versions of the 175 F3, and the famous 250 Twin-cylinder of Mike HailwoodTM flashed the recognizable horse.
The reason why Taglioni chose the prancing horse is actually very simple: Fabio Taglioni was born in Lugo di Romagna, a town 35 km from Bologna. This same town was the birthplace of the most famous Italian personage of the First World War, Major Francesco Baracca, the Italian "ace" fighter pilot, who claimed 34 victories in air battles on the Italian front and then was killed on June 19, 1918 on Mount Montello.
Francesco Baracca was an official of the cavalry. In 1915, upon the outbreak of war against Austria-Hungary, he took his pilot's license. When Baracca reached his squadron, he decided to personalize his airplane by painting the fuselage with a black horse on a white cloud. Many historians of World War I maintain that Baracca painted the horse not so much as a reminder of his past as a cavalry officer, but to pay tribute to the cavalry corps to which he belonged, the Second Piedmont Cavalry. Indeed, this unit's emblem depicted a silver prancing horse against a red background.
In 1923, five years after the death of Francesco Baracca, his mother, Countess Paolina Biancoli, donated the symbol of her son to Enzo Ferrari as a "good luck piece". That year, Ferrari ran the Lugo Grand Prix with his stable, then equipped with Alfa Romeo racecars. Ferrari had no symbol for his team at the time, so he used the black horse against a yellow shield and placed a tricolor band across the top. The yellow represents Modena, Ferrari's birthplace.
An interesting fact is that both horses used by Ferrari and Ducati have their tails turned up, whereas Baracca's original had its tail pointed down.
The decision by the Ducati management of the era to fold the official racing team owing to the high costs, as well as a lack of respect for the history of the symbol, resulted in the disappearance of the horse from the side panels of our motorcycles.
Thus an incidental link exists between the "rosse" on two and four wheels, consolidated by the history of two legendary personalities."

So even though it is an actual Ferrari badge it is not without some historical context :)
Toran

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
StrigaMort... I do like those yellow Ducs... mine was originally yellow but the previous owner wanted a red Duc so that is when all of the red CF was put on, pretty much anything that used to be yellow plastic is now red (or black) carbon fiber...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts