Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently discovered that I am a fan of single malt whisky. Or more specifically, single malt whisky that has been finished, or matured, in a cask which was previously used to age sherry, or port, or Madeira, or some other such. Previous to this discovery my only exposure to "scotch" was Dewar's (blech) and Ballentine's (double blech), but at the recent retirement celebration of a shipmate, somebody brought to the party a bottle of The Balvenie 12 Doublewood, which I tasted and quite enjoyed. This piqued my interest and I started investigating.

So far I have bought and tried; The Balvenie 12 Doublewood, Aberlour 12 Double Cask, Macallan 12, Glenmorangie Sherry Wood, and just picked up today and haven't yet tried Glenmorangie Lasanta. So far, my favourite would have to be the Glenmorangie Sherry Wood.

The guy who introduced me to this new......hobby?.....is retiring soon himself and I have picked up a bottle of The Balvenie 21 Port Wood as my way of saying thanks.

So, single malt scotch drinkers, what are some of your favourites?

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
I know scotch and whiskey are closely related so if you'd like some whiskey recommendations, the smoothest I know are makers mark, canadian mist, and Kessler (which even claims to be one of the smoothest whiskeys ever. I remember laughing at the label which has their "smooth as silk" slogan" lol).

Jack Daniel's tastes like the chicken strips lol.

Johnny Walker blue label tastes like tobacco and balls. I've got a bottle at home that's had exactly two shots poured out of it. Yuck.

For the single malts, i had a friend who swore by Glenfiddich and Glenlivet.

As a point of reference... I only started drinking 3.5 years ago and started with wine tasting. I found that I like whiskey a lot and have only tried about 30 different types. I've thrown out half of those bottles thanks to their crappy taste. :p

EDIT: I just saw zach's comment... I'm only 27 so you don't have to be old to enjoy a good whiskey or scotch. Just gotta find the right one for your pallet :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
generally try to avoid the dark ones anymore, they always leave me with a banging head, or maybe its the coke i mix it with. when it comes to licquer, vodka is my poison.

voted for your bike though.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I have recently discovered that I am a fan of single malt whisky. Or more specifically, single malt whisky that has been finished, or matured, in a cask which was previously used to age sherry, or port, or Madeira, or some other such. Previous to this discovery my only exposure to "scotch" was Dewar's (blech) and Ballentine's (double blech), but at the recent retirement celebration of a shipmate, somebody brought to the party a bottle of The Balvenie 12 Doublewood, which I tasted and quite enjoyed. This piqued my interest and I started investigating.

So far I have bought and tried; The Balvenie 12 Doublewood, Aberlour 12 Double Cask, Macallan 12, Glenmorangie Sherry Wood, and just picked up today and haven't yet tried Glenmorangie Lasanta. So far, my favourite would have to be the Glenmorangie Sherry Wood.

The guy who introduced me to this new......hobby?.....is retiring soon himself and I have picked up a bottle of The Balvenie 21 Port Wood as my way of saying thanks.

Well, I'm no expert but the wife buys me a nice single malt every year. So far the Balvenie 12 is my favorite, closely followed by MaCallan 15. Lagavulin was good but not stellar. Too smokey/peaty for me. Cragganmore and Dalwhinnie were very nice, if not quite up to the first two.
This year's wasn't so hot. Highland Park 27, big bucks apparently and I really don't like it much. :( Haven't had the nerve to tell her that yet though. :)

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
you should never mix soda/pop/carbonated sugar.... with liquor....YUK!

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
you really don't understand the point of this thread, do you?

single malt scotches are NOT something you splash some coke into to "manage them"

:nono:
Conveniently ignoring what I wrote about drinking on the rocks?

Oh zach... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,773 Posts

The Balvenie doublewood is some good stuff, my old boss got me a bottle of that last year for Christmas. Do you like other single malts, or just those finished in a barrel used sherry/port/etc first? Do you tend to like the lighter flavored scotches or the heavier, tastier ones?

I don't know all that much about all scotches, but if we have similar tastes I can recommend a few that I like. For an example, my favorite is probably Talisker (it's got a bite, a good amount of smokiness, some salt, and a bunch of stuff that I'm not discerning enough to pick up on, not usually considered a beginners drink), I usually have a bottle of the 10yr hanging around and pick up some of the older stuff for big occasions.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
single malt scotches are NOT something you splash some coke into to "manage them"

:nono:
You see? You're more "refined" (read "older") than you thought. ;)

Do you like other single malts, or just those finished in a barrel used sherry/port/etc first? Do you tend to like the lighter flavored scotches or the heavier, tastier ones?

I haven't really tried any but the "finished" variety. I'd be willing to give some a try but don't want to spend that kind of loot on something I might not like. I'd be far more inclined to bring a bottle of my favourite to a gathering of other people who bring a bottle of their favourite and we all just try them all out. Might be an idea for the rally. I tend to prefer something smooth with a bit more flavour. Actually, Jack Daniel's makes a single malt that I've had a few times and thought was alright but always thought of it as a bourbon, since I didn't know the difference and that's what they're mostly known for.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Conveniently ignoring what I wrote about drinking on the rocks?

Oh zach... :rolleyes:
Good scotch you don't put on the rocks either. :'(

If you're going to put it on ice just grab a bottle Jameson's (Irish Whiskey) and call it a day.

Good stuff you drink neat (just booze in the glass, maybe an ounce or so of spring water if you want to bring cask strength down to managable levels)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I tried very hard to get into scotch... but burnt peat just doesn't do it for me ;)

Some bourbons are decent... Blantan's is pretty good and not too expensive. I still prefer Cognac or Absinthe though...

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I haven't really tried any but the "finished" variety. I'd be willing to give some a try but don't want to spend that kind of loot on something I might not like. I'd be far more inclined to bring a bottle of my favourite to a gathering of other people who bring a bottle of their favourite and we all just try them all out. Might be an idea for the rally. I tend to prefer something smooth with a bit more flavour. Actually, Jack Daniel's makes a single malt that I've had a few times and thought was alright but always thought of it as a bourbon, since I didn't know the difference and that's what they're mostly known for.
That's the best way to find out what you like, either that or go to a bar known for their scotch selection and the knowledge of their bar staff. Brandy Library in NYC is a great one, they will craft personalized tastings for you for free (with the understanding that you'll buy a couple of drinks afterwards). For the most part I tend to like the tastier stuff from the Islay region rather than the smoother stuff so what I like isn't always in line with everyone else...

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tried very hard to get into scotch... but burnt peat just doesn't do it for me ;)
That's pretty much how I felt until I tried the doublewood, it definitely picks up some flavour from the wine cask it's finished in. I'll be bringing a bottle or two with me to the rally, you're more than welcome to give it a try, you might change your mind.

nyc, I'll ask around but I kind of doubt that Hampton Roads has the quality of bars that you find in NYC. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
1st = Glenlivet, I also enjoy Glenfiddich. I got a chance when I was stationed in England to try some from WW1 and it was the smoothest thing I've ever had in my life. Ever since then I've been a straight up single malt guy. Love to sip on it in the wintertime.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
That's pretty much how I felt until I tried the doublewood, it definitely picks up some flavour from the wine cask it's finished in. I'll be bringing a bottle or two with me to the rally, you're more than welcome to give it a try, you might change your mind.

nyc, I'll ask around but I kind of doubt that Hampton Roads has the quality of bars that you find in NYC. ;)
You guys are really making it hard to say no to the Rally here...

Ask around, you may be happily surprised. If not do you ever end up here with all of your random buoy tending business trips? There has to be a few Coasties scattered around NY harbor and the sound...

1 - 20 of 98 Posts