Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bike was stolen Friday night, and while I would absolutely LOVE to have it returned to me the odds are not in my favor.

So, it's time to get a short list of bikes in order.

Lets start out by saying anything directly comparable to the SV is not going to be high on the list. If I don't get another SV I am going to go about this as though I am upgrading from and not replacing the SV.

- I know I like the Street Triple for looks and general ergonomics though I still need to test ride one. This bike is on the short list new or used. I feel like this has become my benchmark as far as an upgrade from the SV goes.

- Sitting on the Speed Triple never feels quite right, I'm not sure what it is but the Street just seems to fit me better. The power is nice but the Street has MORE than enough for me, and the Speed caries some extra weight from that 1050. I can't rule out a used Speed3 if the price is right though.

- The VTR1000 Superhawk is also a contender. I already know I love the v-twin, and the Superhawk has a certain funky flair to it that I have grown to like. It compares well to the street in power and weight but has the tq of the speed3. The carbs aren't high on my list of wants but can be overlooked if the right situation comes along.

The Superhawk fits the style of the SV the best (slightly upright, faired, v-twin) but I have been wanting to go a little more upright (was contemplating purchasing some of the riser clipons from SVRacing parts... glad I didn't now) and I have grown a HUGE love for a well dressed naked bike. (You guys on the N's have drawn me to the dark side... or is it the light side?)

- Other notes:

- I don't want a "super sport" bike. Ninja's and CBR's are great but not at all designed for what I use a motorcycle for. If it's more aggressive seating than the SVS it's probably not gonna win.

- I love the v-twin sound and the triple sound has quickly grown on me as well. I'm not a huge fan of the way an I4 sounds, but exceptions could be made since motorcycles do more than make noise.

Anyway, that's really what I have right now. There are some Buells that would warrant looking at if they showed up on the market but they would have to be really good deals. What other bikes should I be on the look out for?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I lost my 1gen unexpectedly (fire) and was in the same spot as you. The more time I spent trying to think what other bike would be just like my SV, the more I realized I wanted another SV lol. I mixed it up and went 2gen.
I was thinking most seriously about a Street Triple, but was also thinking VTR, VFR or some of the Sport Tourers. Bandits seem like they'd be cool.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
If you go Street Triple, try for an R version. It's worth the modest price difference.

Tuono is another good bet, and, like Triumph, resale value is relatively low, so bargains can be found.

KTM Super Duke would also be a good choice.

Moto Guzzi Griso would be a unique choice. I'm obviously biased, but it's a great bike, and it looks like nothing else.

2007 VFR with 25th Anniversary (red/white/blue) paint scheme would also be on my list. Powder coat the wheels white, and it's a sharp bike. Add Helibars, and the ergos are as upright as any bike.

I understand your aversion to modern I-4 supersports, but there are a few I-4 bikes I would consider. For upright ergos and a torque-rich engine, a Yamaha FZ-1 will do nicely, as will a Kawasaki Z1000. My particular favorites are the open class Kawasaki GPZ / ZRX bikes, like the ZRX 1200 -- in Eddie Lawson replica colors.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only real reason I wouldn't get the R version is for color. I REALLY love them in white, I wanted to paint the SV white. I love the look of a white bike... so the fact that I can get a white one cheaper is going to be hard to pass up. (I mostly ride to and from work and the roads around here are not enough to challenge even the SV's suspension so while the upgrades are a bonus, the lack of them wouldn't be very much noticed)

I forgot about the VFR. Bikes like the FZ1 and the Z1000 are going to be looked at despite the engine as I know they are great bikes, but they will have to do some fighting to win out.

I'm not a huge fan of the DUKE based on looks. The Motto Guzzi looks awesome, but I'm not sure if I like it to ride it or just to look at it! LOL.

Another question is reliability and maintenance, some of these seem like they would be harder on the walled come maintenance time and I will need this to be a pretty reliable ride.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
The Moto Guzzi is a reliable bike. I know a number of people who have them. I've ridden the bike for a few hours in the Georgia mountains, and it is sweet. Since I'm content with my SV, I do not feel the urge to upgrade, but if I did not have the SV, I'd have a Griso.

Dealer support is sparse, but generally unnecessary. Parts, maintenance tips, and accessories are plentiful on the web. Maintenance is relatively easy. Shaft drive, so no chain maintenance. Valve adjustments are easy, as the engine uses a set-screw system rather than shim-and-bucket, and the valve covers are right out in the open.

And yes, it is awesome to look at. It's like a rolling work of art.

Check out www.wildguzzi.com/forum if you're interested in learning more. (The site is migrating to a new server, so it may be down for a day or two.)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well, this is a better start than most "recommend me a bike" threads, in that you actually have a couple of bikes in mind. However, from the two choices mentioned, it's hard to draw any conclusions other you aren't leaning strongly towards an inline-4. I might suggest that once a naked bike is well-dressed, it is no longer naked. Also, having owned a number of bikes for a number of years, I believe that all bikes are directly comparable. At least all street bikes. Every day that you walk out to the garage, you compare the bikes if you have more than one in the garage.

Maybe with a little more definition of what you really are looking for would help you recognize "your" bike when you see it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What is your budget?

cfreger mentioned the Honda VFR and I also agree that it is a great all around bike and should be looked at. They look awesome in white and I hope to own one eventually.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't really think about what I was typing when I said "well dressed naked". I meant a good looking naked with some personalized bits (be that a belly pan and fly screen or whatever.)

I guess a simple list of criteria would be:

Leaning away from i4's
More upright (no supersports)
Naked bikes a plus but not mandatory.

It's a loose list but so far I have had some great suggestions come up. As far budget I'll say I'd prefer to stay below 10k, so if the average used cost is above that it's more than likely not going to make the short list.

Keep the opinions and options coming!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Street triple R does come in white, and looks mighty fine. What about a Ducati? Monster 1100 evo? Streetfighter 848?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Street triple R does come in white, and looks mighty fine. What about a Ducati? Monster 1100 evo? Streetfighter 848?
When I asked at the dealer the guy was under the impression that it didn't, but I double checked the triumph Site, you're right, he was just mistaken.

I probably won't go for a Ducati, they are nice bikes but I've never really wanted one.

I'll do some looking at these options tonight. Might be able to get down to another dealer who should have a few of these to look at up close.

·
Registered
818 Posts
With a 10k budget and a willingness to consider used, you have a pretty wide variety to choose from. You might like a boxer BMW. Or an adventure bike. There are a lot of bikes from the mid-90's to mid-00's that can be picked up cheap w/ low miles and in great condition. If you aren't tied to tightly to any particular make, model or style, you could have a lot of fun researching your next ride. Try looking through KBB and old mag reviews for ideas.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went down to the dealer who sells Ducati, Aprillia and BMW (along with Honda) None of the Duc's really caught my attention. The Aprillia Tuono did, the V2 variant they had felt a little better than the V4.

The also had an Intercepter. Very comfortable sitting on it but it struck me as a bit wide over all, a little to 'big'.

I didn't really look a whole lot at the BMW's, and as I looked I decided I wasn't really drawn to the adv bikes so much.

I will start digging into reviews on some of these ideas and other bikes that I notice along the way.

Thanks again for all the ideas, and as always any new ones are welcome!

·
Registered
818 Posts
One other possibility to consider, if you have the space, inclination and circumstances, is getting 2 bikes. There are a lot of bikes out there in the $3-5k range in great shape with low miles. You wind up with some duplicate expenses (tags, insurance, etc), but sometimes you can own and operate 2 less-expensive bikes for the same or less that one newer, more expensive bike.

I've had enough bikes now to realize that I no longer need the latest, greatest and trendiest. For me, having a choice in the garage is more important than having the fanciest. Just a thought.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Street Triple R seems like a very logical upgrade from an SV650. It's very similar fundamentally, but apparently better in every way.

Monster S2R 1000?

·
Registered
521 Posts
What you have finally narrowed down to does seem to scream Tuono. For under 10,000 you could even get a factory edition all cf'd out and with Ohlins. I've owned a few bikes lately and nothing is as fun to ride as my T.

·
Registered
427 Posts
.... like Triumph, resale value is relatively low, so bargains can be found.....
Wrong. Used Street Triples are not that plentiful, and command a pretty good resale price. In fact, the "street" price on a used Striple is higher than the same year Daytona 675, even though the D675 stickers for a couple thousand more up front.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
One year, when I was a Chrysler-Jeep salesperson, I got to work at the New England International Auto Show.

I basically spent the day chatting with the model who was showcasing the new Sebring--except every 5 minutes or so, she had to give the same spiel over and over again.

About 75% of the way through her little routine she mentioned the two Sebrings on the floor that people could get in and have a look around. Near the end of the day, I snuck myself over to stand in between the two cars and when she mentioned them, I did my best Vanna White impression. She almost burst out laughing mid-sentence. It was hilarious.

Too bad for me that she was married.

Cool story, I know.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts