Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the idea of everyone having a vote in this country is a good one in theory but in practice, we still get a lot of uneducated people casting votes without truly understanding who and what they are voting for. A large percentage vote party lines without giving it any thought. Another portion believe wild and crazy notions about the candidates up for election and vote based on those. I knew black people who actually thought George W. Bush was going to bring back slavery if he was elected. Some people are just blithering idiots and I am really amazed that they can dress themselves in the morning without burning their house down and dont know anything about politics. My question is, do people still think that everyone deserves the right to vote without understanding what they are voting for? Should there be a qualification test that should be passed to demonstrate understanding of the issues at hand before voting occurs? Do you think we are ever going to have any real change in our politicians to get this country back on the right track with so many people blindly pulling the lever during election time? I know this will never change but I was curious what others thought.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yes all citizens should get to vote. I do understand your frustration with the level of education and bias that the american voter holds, and it is certainly not helpful.

I find myself continually amazed how many problems in the US can simply be solved with a little bit of education.

"The penalty for not participating in government is to be governed by your inferiors." -Plato

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I think the idea of everyone having a vote in this country is a good one in theory but in practice, we still get a lot of uneducated people casting votes without truly understanding who and what they are voting for. A large percentage vote party lines without giving it any thought. Another portion believe wild and crazy notions about the candidates up for election and vote based on those. I knew black people who actually thought George W. Bush was going to bring back slavery if he was elected. Some people are just blithering idiots and I am really amazed that they can dress themselves in the morning without burning their house down and dont know anything about politics. My question is, do people still think that everyone deserves the right to vote without understanding what they are voting for? Should there be a qualification test that should be passed to demonstrate understanding of the issues at hand before voting occurs? Do you think we are ever going to have any real change in our politicians to get this country back on the right track with so many people blindly pulling the lever during election time? I know this will never change but I was curious what others thought.
I think all elections should be decided by Howard Stern.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Even though it sucks, everyone should be able to vote in this country.

I remember people voted for Obama because it was the cool thing to do, not because they knew anything about politics, but that's how things have always worked in the world unfortunately.

Tina Fey for vice president

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is extremely frustrating to know that our government officials are the best ones for the job and they wont be until people truly understand what they are voting for. We are trillions of dollars in debt with a government that is overextending their reach and people have such tunnel vision when they vote that it never changes. We just keep spiraling down the hole. I really wish a voter competency test was required to demonstrate you understand the issues and how all candidates feel about them. Or even better, make the polls a list of issues and vote for the best ideas. When you are done, the candidate that scores the most votes on their ideas wins. Then, we wouldnt be voting for people any longer or political parties but what they stand for. Pipe dreams, I know but I can still dream it lol

·
Registered
760 Posts
It is extremely frustrating to know that our government officials are the best ones for the job and they wont be until people truly understand what they are voting for. We are trillions of dollars in debt with a government that is overextending their reach and people have such tunnel vision when they vote that it never changes. We just keep spiraling down the hole. I really wish a voter competency test was required to demonstrate you understand the issues and how all candidates feel about them. Or even better, make the polls a list of issues and vote for the best ideas. When you are done, the candidate that scores the most votes on their ideas wins. Then, we wouldnt be voting for people any longer or political parties but what they stand for. Pipe dreams, I know but I can still dream it lol
Interesting idea. Its some form of an anynomous election except you dont really know who you are voting for, just option A believes yadayada and option B believes so and so. It would certainly be an interesting concept but I'm not sure the people are ready to vote for a nameless candidate without knowing if they cheated in their marriage, or have money in questionable bank accounts, or smoked a joint in high school.

Like you said, probably a pipe dream.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Many of the voting public may be uneducated and indifferent to the issues, but everyone who is eligible should have the right to vote whether they actually decide to or not. The problem isn't just with the voters, but who is running for office. Some politicians actually take their elected status to work for the people they represent and the country seriously, but in my view, the vast majority of politicians aren't worth spit.

There are many in this country of ours who would just love to prohibit a group of Americans from voting, just look at FL during the Bush election and the need for the Voting Rights bill. And, what's going on in Tx. We should be rejecting people to have a driver's license, but not the right to vote. That's one perilous road to take.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting idea. Its some form of an anynomous election except you dont really know who you are voting for, just option A believes yadayada and option B believes so and so. It would certainly be an interesting concept but I'm not sure the people are ready to vote for a nameless candidate without knowing if they cheated in their marriage, or have money in questionable bank accounts, or smoked a joint in high school.

Like you said, probably a pipe dream.
I wouldnt even have them vote for the candidate as a package blindly. Each individual issue requires a vote. The candidate whose issues score the highest get the vote of that individual. How different do you think elections would have turned out?

Many of the voting public may be uneducated and indifferent to the issues, but everyone who is eligible should have the right to vote whether they actually decide to or not. The problem isn't just with the voters, but who is running for office. Some politicians actually take their elected status to work for the people they represent and the country seriously, but in my view, the vast majority of politicians aren't worth spit.

There are many in this country of ours who would just love to prohibit a group of Americans from voting, just look at FL during the Bush election and the need for the Voting Rights bill. And, what's going on in Tx. We should be rejecting people to have a driver's license, but not the right to vote. That's one perilous road to take.
Oh trust me, if I had my way, the entire election process would be revamped to remove money as a requirement to run for office, remove unlimited terms, and remove part affiliations. I think the one gaping hole in our checks and balances system is that we gave control over the process to the people who we need to change. They would never vote to lower salaries, lower retirements or add term limits to congress. Being in congress should be an honor and should be available to anyone not a career for those that have the money to run for it. They also shouldnt owe so many people when they get elected that they spend their entire term trying to pay them back to get re-elected the next go around.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
"The penalty for not participating in government is to be governed by your inferiors." -Plato
On average only half of Americans vote in years with presidential elections, about 1/3 on the non-presidential federal elections, and anywhere from 10-25% in the years that only have state and local elections.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
My Dad (who is 78 ) has a theory that only people between the ages of 30 and 60 should be allowed to vote. Younger than 30 and you don't know enough, older than 60 and you're not going to live long enough to have enough of a stake in it.

Not sure how I feel about that. :)

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Every adult should have the right to vote. When you start eliminating that right from one group. While education on the issue might seem like a good idea, it opens a door we don't want open because to many people want to go further. Soon you find your self in the can't vote list because you don't make someones list as a qualified member.

I have head a variety of groups that people think shouldn't be allowed to vote. From race based (blacks, hispanic, ...), a certain age, to if you get financial help and many more. At some point someone is going to be in that "Shouldn't be allowed to vote" group of someone else.

We need to have every adult have the right to vote in order to keep freedom alive. What we need to do is educate those around us on the issues and start holding our officials accountable for their actions.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
What we need to do is educate those around us on the issues and start holding our officials accountable for their actions.
That would be nice, but how can we educate 300+ million of people on a subject that involves a lot of personal opinions?

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
we should abolish voting and establish me as dictator.
Only if you promise to execute all the quids in the world... and by that I don't mean calamari...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Every adult should have the right to vote. When you start eliminating that right from one group. While education on the issue might seem like a good idea, it opens a door we don't want open because to many people want to go further. Soon you find your self in the can't vote list because you don't make someones list as a qualified member.

I have head a variety of groups that people think shouldn't be allowed to vote. From race based (blacks, hispanic, ...), a certain age, to if you get financial help and many more. At some point someone is going to be in that "Shouldn't be allowed to vote" group of someone else.

We need to have every adult have the right to vote in order to keep freedom alive. What we need to do is educate those around us on the issues and start holding our officials accountable for their actions.
I agree its not practically possible because of the things you listed above. It will open up a can of worms no one wants to deal with but the knowledge of the average voter is appalling. Just look at some of the people out there and realize they can cancel your vote out no matter how much you know about what is going on.

That would be nice, but how can we educate 300+ million of people on a subject that involves a lot of personal opinions?
We cant educate 300+ million people period. The standards in this country are seriously lacking to the point its scary and we cant point it out or we are discriminating and people sue.

we should abolish voting and establish me as dictator.
I honestly think a 4 year term for president with absolute power during that time would be a lot more effective than what we have now. Keep the supreme court around to keep certain things in check but things would actually get done and the finger could only be pointed one way when they failed.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
We don't have too. We just have to educate those we know about the issues. What you need to do is lean more on education and let people decide for themselves.

On of the greatest strengths this country has is our diversity. Great leaders know this and surround themselves with a group of people that have different ideas. Poor leaders surround themselves with like minds. Keep this in mind when you talk to people.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I honestly think a 4 year term for president with absolute power during that time would be a lot more effective than what we have now. Keep the supreme court around to keep certain things in check but things would actually get done and the finger could only be pointed one way when they failed.
No X 300,000,000. I can't believe you suggested such a thing, even in jest. :nono:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We don't have too. We just have to educate those we know about the issues. What you need to do is lean more on education and let people decide for themselves.

On of the greatest strengths this country has is our diversity. Great leaders know this and surround themselves with a group of people that have different ideas. Poor leaders surround themselves with like minds. Keep this in mind when you talk to people.
There are just too many people who dont care to learn yet they still go out and vote.

No X 300,000,000. I can't believe you suggested such a thing, even in jest. :nono:
Its not in jest. Our form of government is extremely inefficient. Too many people tacking on their own special interests to each bill then trying to get them to agree enough to actually pass something. As long as we can keep the president from actually being a dictator, I would prefer one person to have complete say during their term. Again, it will never happen but I think it would be better than what we have. The problem with dictatorships now is corruption and trying to hold power as long as possible. The idea is good, the execution is poor.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts