Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Please note that I am in no way affiliated with the Campbellites/Disciples of Christ/the Stones, or any of that religious mumbo-jumbo. I just wanted a place to journal my "spring cleaning" and give myself some motivational pushes when I feel lazy.)

Well over a year ago, somebody tried to steal my bike. They screwed up the ignition, the handlebars and a few other minor things. I didn't have the means to fix it, and shortly after I moved out of state. I parked the bike and forgot about it.

Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring. Bike still sitting there, out in the elements. And finally after a few gentle nudges from the right people, I decided it was time to show the poor thing some love. I needed to either fix it and ride it, or sell it. But either way, the "fixing" part needed to come first.

As I'm sure you can imagine, there was a lot that needed caring for. After sitting for over a year with gas in the tank, my first priority was to pull the tank off, drain the old gas, and clean the inside of the tank.

So today was spent doing just that - but I could only start on the gas tank once I removed the mouse nest (seriously) that some smart mouse had built under the gas tank and around the K&M filter.) Thankfully there was hardly any rust buildup on the inside of the tank itself. For having just sat there for so long, the inside was in surprisingly nice condition. A few hours, some BBs, WD-40, and a flush with gas and it sparkled. Hardest part was removing the fuel pump.

Some graphite and a little fiddling got the ignition turning to "On", but naturally the battery was dead. Pulled it out and hooked it up to a trickle charger - can't hurt, right? I have every intention of buying a replacement tomorrow morning, as I'm sure it's gone for good.

So the things that are left:
Full fluids flush. (Oil change tomorrow is likely.)
New chain and sprockets.
Check spark plugs.
Replace old parts and hoses (front brake fluid reservoir especially. Windscreen would be a nice replacement as well, as would-be thief marked it up nicely.)
New battery install.
Check all components.

TL; DR
Bike sat for a year, and now I'm getting it ready to ride again. Maintenance ensues.

If anyone has any recommendations I'd be happy to hear them.

·
Registered
991 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Wow. Just saw this. Where ya been?

Read through your list. Here are my thoughts:

Are your tires rotted? Cracked? Stiff? Are they holding air?

I would lubricate every moving part that gets grease -- steering stem and bearings, swing arm pivot and bearings, axles and bearings, kickstand pivot, etc.

Do you have a shop manual? If not, get one, and just go through the whole thing, page-by-page.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing you back on the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts