Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy the quietest helmet in around $200 little more or less.I use now my 5 yr old shoie RF800 but it is getting louder and needs replacement.
Any experience?suggestions?It is difficult to asses this factor in dealership without ridding on the highway.Tips are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
You sacrifice venting for silence.
Just get some ear plugs.
I promise, if you try it you will never go back 8)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cyclerider105 said:
Been using a Shoei RF-1000 and it seems pretty quiet. You can find them on e-bay in the $200.00 price range.
Do you hear the wind on the highway loud enough to notice in annoying way?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matoo said:
You sacrifice venting for silence.
Just get some ear plugs.
I promise, if you try it you will never go back 8)
I tried ear plugs but it takes way more time to get it right and then after putting the helmet it comes out-very annoying and repeat again. I have not found ear plugs which stay put yet

·
Registered
397 Posts
heh silence = more money...arai and shoei are the quietest with the best seals too. I have a exo-700 and it likes to leak air into my face...but i think i just need a chin cover...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Arvan said:
I tried ear plugs but it takes way more time to get it right and then after putting the helmet it comes out-very annoying and repeat again. I have not found ear plugs which stay put yet
The orange earplugs from Wal-Mart work perfectly for me - they are a one size fits all set. Pretty cheap and they reduce noise by 36 dB.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have a new Z1R Stance, And a new RF1000. Both are pretty quite. The fit is better on the Shoei, by a little. But the shield on the Shoei is much better. $90.00 Z1R/ $300.00 Shoei on e-bay. Z1R is my around town helmet. Ear plugs are good if you can get use to them, it took me awhile to ajust to them. I only use them on longer rides. If you can afford it go with a Shoei or Arai. Solids are cheaper than the multi colored ones. Mines a multi colored one. I think you can find them, like was said earlier for around $200.00 on E-bay. Shoei's not Arai $ 300.00+ for the them. 8)

·
Registered
571 Posts
if you are having problems with the helmet pulling out your earplugs then you aren't putting them in right. i wear them all the time and have never had any problems with the helmet pulling them out. yes sometimes they are stubborn and don't want to go in on the first try. but i think that extra 5 seconds it takes to retry it is worth it being quieter on the ride.

once you start riding with them consistently you will become more proficient at putting them in. and i doubt you'll ever go back to riding without them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The best earplugs to use are the expanding foam type, you know the cheap ones that are disposable. You roll one up as small and tight as you can get them and then quickly put it into your ear and turn them so that they go as deep as possible into your ear, then hold it in place so it doesn't push out as it expands to fill your ear canal. They shouldn't stick out of your ears much, if any at all when you do it right. If you look at the package, this is the technique that is described. They also double as an earwax remover cause if you wear one all day, when you pull it out it will take all the wax out of your ear with it...GROSS!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
shekshishekki said:
heh silence = more money...arai and shoei are the quietest with the best seals too. I have a exo-700 and it likes to leak air into my face...but i think i just need a chin cover...
I have to disagree, my arai is the noisiest helmet I have ever owned, also the lightest and best vented.

the quietest helmet I ever owned was a Bell M2, it was a 95 snell helmet I had in the late 90s, but it was also the heaviest and worse vented helmet I ever owned either

vents are noisey, and lighter weight means less dound deadening material.

IMHO, look at your cheaper lines for quieter helmets

a fabric chin curtain does a lot to quiet a helmet down

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the tips.This is why this forum just rocks :).I have another bargain helmet M2 paid $70 new.Little heavy .I think I will try the ear plug solution and see if I can get it work.Thanks for the mix ear plug link-seems like a real bargain with all the different brands.
2yr ego motorcycle consumer news did a study on helmets including noise crateria but can't find the issue.With the winter coming I am more concern about cold and noise coming in then venting.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
On my AC-11 most of the wind noise I hear comes from the bottom of the helmet. The liner and pads disrupt the wind flow of the air along the bottom causing more noise. I've taped the bottom of all my lid around the pads to keep the bottom smooth and the air flows better and has reduced noise. now if I could make and inflate able ring to seal the pads right on my neck I could reduce the wind getting up into the lid from around my neck.

My next lid will have a fully smooth bottom to keep the air flow less turbulant and hopefully seal better around my next and it also must look wicked awesome on me at the same time.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Big +1 on the ear plugs. It may just take a while to find the set that works for you.

In addition to or in lieu of earplugs, give this a shot:

http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/UK_Wind_jammer_21.html

I'm not sure if this is the same as the fabric chin curtain RandyO is referring to, but I got one of these this spring and the noise reduction is very dramatic. The trade-off is reduction of venting underneath the chin, leading to a 'toasty' melon and increased tendency to fog the faceshield. Both of these can be alleviated by flipping up the visor at slow speed or at a stop...

HTH

·
Registered
359 Posts
RandyO said:
a fabric chin curtain does a lot to quiet a helmet down
+1000

I just got the RF-1000. Nice helmet. I liked the style... really good weight. The wind noise with full vents open is like night and day with my HJC AC-11. The Shoei is much nicer. Chin curtain that came with it makes a MAJOR difference. Vents closed is simple bliss. I just can't wait until I can get away with it - 95 deg is killing me.

As for ear plugs - After I posted a thread on it, I moved full time to using them. I will not ride without them now!

As for the helmet, ebay- 200 for the lid and an extra face shield. Just make sure it fits you right. I read reviews where people did not like the new rf-1000 over the 800 due to fit changes.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I agree that good ventilation comes with noise.  I like ventilation so I wear earplugs (foam type.)  

You do have to train yourself for a while to remember to put them in. Get some of those little plastic pill bottle containers they come in and attach it to your key chain or near the ignition.  

1 - 20 of 36 Posts