Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ever since I bought my '05 650S there's been a slow oil leak. Within a month and a half I had to add about half a quart to get the oil level back where it was before. I've checked all bolts (over or under torqued) and connections (hoses) dealing with oil. I just can't find where it is coming from. I'll cleanly wipe off all dirt and oil, come back an hour later and I'll find a drop forming. I'll take a few pics later today to show.

Any idea where I should look or do to diagnose the leak? The one thing I haven't messed with is the crush washer for the drain bolt. I was going to check that when I do an oil change.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
where are you wiping oil from?

After you wipe everything down, and preferable spray some contact cleaner on it, then spray athletes foot spray on the engine. Enough where there is a light white dusting. This is a great trick at finding oil leaks. But it helps if you have an idea where it could be coming from (around the drip)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Clean everything up with brake cleaner on a rag. Look the the highest point to see where the oil is coming from.

Some dye from the autoparts store works well too. Pour a little dye in the motor oil and start hte bike up, you'll find that leak pretty quick.

Oil can find its way pretty much everywhere, clean it all up and start at the top of the engine (i.e. valve cover area), then start going downwards towards the drain bolt.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys...it's raining right now, but I'll do the test and get the pics soon.

There is around 17,000 miles on the bike. I was dropped once, but the leak was happening before then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Clean it super good and try and trace where its coming from. Where at on the engine are you seeing the drop form? We can let you know possible locations.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys sorry for taking so long, but that foot spray technique worked wonders. I took about an hour to clean the whole engine and I mean spotless. Once clean I thickly sprayed the powder over all surfaces, hoses, and joints. After waiting 10-20 minutes nothing came through. I then started her up and nearly immediately oil started coming out of the joint where the Oil Cooler meets the engine block. It was forming nearly a drop per 5-8 minutes. Once the bike warmed up to 150-180F, the leak halted.

Do I simply tighten the bolt or is there something else I need need to do?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
i'd go with new washers just to be sure, but honestly, a drop every 5 minutes that stops when it reaches operating temperature doesen't sound like that much. there may be another leak somewhere.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'd go with new washers just to be sure, but honestly, a drop every 5 minutes that stops when it reaches operating temperature doesen't sound like that much. there may be another leak somewhere.
It doesn't seem like much in a short period of time, but in a two month period I lost half a quart.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'd fix the known leak before chasing zebras.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
oil drain plug is 12mm. any auto parts store will have oil drain plug washers in copper, aluminum, nylon, etc., for cheap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts