Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting late, the wind is still howling, and I'm hunkered down in the dark at my dining room table grading mid terms and some eerily depressing sociogy papers. Haven't had power since 9 pm.

What the he11 are you guys up to tonight? Post your reflections here.

Mmmkay? Ready set, go!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I honestly thought this was hype like Irene, it's actually pretty bad.

Tree's falling, Zone A area flooded to the gills, fires breaking out everywhere, construction site scaffolds and cranes tearing apart, several hospitals losing power, nuclear plant in NJ in "alert" status, tunnels and subway station submerged in water, emergency crews spread thin, thousands without electricity, 99% of businesses shutdown indefinitely.

It's a nightmare. Luckily we didnt get a snowstorm like expected...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Just checking in. Thank God, we have power and no trees around my house or garage went down. After watching the news this morning its incredible that the greatest city in the world is underwater in some parts and roads and bridges were closed. NYC needs better infrastructure.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I had off of school yesterday and today. Yesterday nothing really went on. In fact, I went for a short ride in the morning. So far I haven't lost power, and neither the winds nor the rain have been too bad. Hopefully it stays that way. I know that I am lucky though; some other areas were hit much worse.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Power went out at 8 PM. Went to bed.

Got up at 6:15. Power back on at 8 AM.

No big deal in Central CT.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
It's getting late, the wind is still howling, and I'm hunkered down in the dark at my dining room table grading mid terms and some eerily depressing sociogy papers. Haven't had power since 9 pm.

What the he11 are you guys up to tonight? Post your reflections here.

Mmmkay? Ready set, go!
how are you on the interwebs with now power? Cell phone?

No stories here. Off in the land of cheese, no hurricanes here.

Stay safe everyone!

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
We've had five days of steady rain and a day of high winds. There are quite a few power outages here in N.E. Ohio. Unfortunately, I think First Energy and AEP may have sent a lot of their storm repair crews east to deal with the expected Sandy damage there.
Hi Ho.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
So looking at the pictures and hearing about how much damage there is. Will there be a world wide campaign to donate to the US to help all those who have lost everything?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how are you on the interwebs with now power? Cell phone?

No stories here. Off in the land of cheese, no hurricanes here.

Stay safe everyone!
I was on the cell...still am. Apparently, there will be no power until next Tuesday. Argh. I shouldn't really complain. Ive traveled to a lot of developing countries where power loss is a regular occurrence.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
I was on the cell...still am. Apparently, there will be no power until next Tuesday. Argh. I shouldn't really complain. Ive traveled to a lot of developing countries where power loss is a regular occurrence.
That must wreak havoc on their air conditioners and cable boxes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got up this morning and hopped on the bike to check out the area. Maneuvered through roads with trees laying across them. Love having a dual sport. Just got to watch the downed power lines.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
That must wreak havoc on their air conditioners and cable boxes.
I'd imagine that they don't even bother resetting the clock on their microwaves and stoves as they'll just go out again!
I wonder if their cable boxes sync-up automatically though... Ya gotta have at least 1 working clock in the house!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I'd imagine that they don't even bother resetting the clock on their microwaves and stoves as they'll just go out again!
I wonder if their cable boxes sync-up automatically though... Ya gotta have at least 1 working clock in the house!
iPhone and iPad.

Yer not a cool kid if you don't have an iPhone/iPad/iKidney/iHookers.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Impoverished developing countries--no ac, cable, microwave, puters. Stoves are.usually open fire wood pits under canopies. electricity is usually limited to just lights and maybe a small tv.

Plenty of hookers and kidneys though.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
My daughter: Lives in Queens (Astoria); has heat/power; can't get to work (Park & 46th, Manhattan).
Me: Live in Cleveland Heights, Ohio; no power=no heat; Big tree down cutting my dead-end street in half; can get to work (downtown Cleveland).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.