Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did end up getting rid of the SV650. That is, I am getting rid of it, as it's back in Austin and is up for sale. Here is my new (to me) Ducati ST4S.

Picacho State Park, AZ

California

We did a video documentation of the trip (Austin TX to Thousand Oaks CA), which we will post up as a blog at some point. The bike handled the trip wonderfully. I got the chance to take it up CA-243 toward Idyllwild and it handled extremely well. I can easily say I was able to ride it quicker than I would have been able to ride the (stock suspension) SV. With the Showa forks and Ohlins shock it just feels planted to the road. I'll miss the SV, but another one is in my future.

Our goal was to go up CA-243 to camp at Pine Cove, but this was before we realized that it was in the mountains, would be ridiculously cold, and the campsites were all closed. Riding back down during sunset was amazing. By far the best road I have ever ridden. I wish we had gotten pictures or a video of that, but we wanted to make it back down before it actually got dark.

I'll post up the blog when we get it done.

Oh yeah, also...I saw a dark blue or black (couldn't tell) SV1k at the 7-11 on Wilbur and Moorpark in Thousand Oaks today. Was that anyone here?

· Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Nice bike. If you are in the area for a while, try CA 23 (IIRC, its High Street in Moorpark -- right where that 7/11 you were at is) to CA 126 to CA 150 to CA 33. If you are jonesing for twisties, sweepers and canyons, that ride will give you a fix.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice bike. If you are in the area for a while, try CA 23 (IIRC, its High Street in Moorpark -- right where that 7/11 you were at is) to CA 126 to CA 150 to CA 33. If you are jonesing for twisties, sweepers and canyons, that ride will give you a fix.
I'm in the area permanently...got a job :) If anyone wants to meet up and ride some weekend I'm in. I'll have to join the SoCal riders forum.

I am going to ride CA 23 down to the coast today. I'll have to go the other way on another ride...thanks for the tip!

· Registered
5,704 Posts
Nice bike. Congrats.

I've ridden up through Idyllwild on my SV a few times and down into Rancho Mirage. It is beautiful up there.

· Premium Member
1,622 Posts
I'm in the area permanently...got a job :) If anyone wants to meet up and ride some weekend I'm in. I'll have to join the SoCal riders forum.

I am going to ride CA 23 down to the coast today. I'll have to go the other way on another ride...thanks for the tip!
Ahh, Decker Canyon. You're gonna get a workout. Fun road. Tight turns. Roasts your tires almost as well as a track day. I thought about hitting it today, but I have to get some work done. :(

I'm up for a ride most weekends. Yesterday, a friend and I did the 23N, 126, 150, 33 ride. We turned around when we started to see snow in the mountains and came back on the 101, but it was still about 180 miles round trip. Shoot me a PM or e-mail when you want to go for a ride.

· Registered
408 Posts
Nice bike! Congrats on the new job as I remember you were contemplating going to Dallas. Come to find out I will probably be moving back to Tejas, Ft Worth most likely.

Good luck in Cali and enjoy the roads on that sweet bike!

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh, Decker Canyon. You're gonna get a workout. Fun road. Tight turns. Roasts your tires almost as well as a track day. I thought about hitting it today, but I have to get some work done. :(

I'm up for a ride most weekends. Yesterday, a friend and I did the 23N, 126, 150, 33 ride. We turned around when we started to see snow in the mountains and came back on the 101, but it was still about 180 miles round trip. Shoot me a PM or e-mail when you want to go for a ride.
Yeah that road was far more intense than I expected...and I did it two up with my girlfriend. She was freaked out the whole way through. We took it very slowly. I thought Texas actually had some good twisties, but now I see that they were nothing. Some of the bikes coming the other way were flying. I'll have to get better at this riding thing.

I'll put up pics of the front when I get a chance to take some.

· Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Yeah that road was far more intense than I expected...and I did it two up with my girlfriend. She was freaked out the whole way through. We took it very slowly. I thought Texas actually had some good twisties, but now I see that they were nothing. Some of the bikes coming the other way were flying. I'll have to get better at this riding thing.

I'll put up pics of the front when I get a chance to take some.
There are easier ways to get to the beach, that's for sure. Decker is about as intense as it gets. Mulholland to the Rock Store is also pretty intense and potentially dangerous -- especially on weekends. The squids and crazy cagers tend to hit it hard on the weekends and can't seem to keep it in their lane. I wouldn't recommend riding there two up the first time through,.

The offer is always open. Drop me a line and we'll plot a course. Take care.

· Registered
729 Posts
That is the aftermarket Ducati Designs headlight. It offers a lot more lumination than the stock '97-'03 headlight. I still haven't convinced myself to shell out the money for one of them....yet. I wish my bike had the suspension that ST4s has.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Excuse me, I'm gonna go kick myself in the balls for not trading the SV for the ST4. The dude wanted a straigh up trade and I declined. Phuck me.
I dunno man I miss my SV. I'm still deciding whether or not I'm gonna keep trying to sell it or just ship it out here when I get some cash. Part of me wants to sell it and put it toward a down payment on an '09 Daytona...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.