Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to employ your help in putting together a list of 'must have' or 'must know' items/things for a new motorcyclist. I have a friend who recently purchased a motor, and is taking the MSF next weekend - after that he actively wants to start logging miles to enjoy his new ride.

RE: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=66288

If you have any hints, tips, suggestions, recommendations for tools or gear, et cetera post them up here.

If there are any publications or web sites with info aimed at beginners please provide a link.

Thanks all, cheers! V9

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For starters I would say:

Updated 04/27/08:

Tools & Maintenance
tire pressure gauge, nicer one with flexible hose and pressure release button
Ratio Rite for measuring fluids
torque wrench
breaker bar
t-handle metric allen wrench set
rubber mallet
WD-40
contact cleaner
DuPont Teflon Chain Lube or Maxima Chain Wax
basic set of metric combination wrenches 8mm to 22mm, metric socket set (1/4" and 3/8"), metric allen keys, and set of screwdrivers
Loctite red and blue
antiseize compound
factory service manual
Motion Pro Jumbo chain tool
rear and front service stands
a socket can be used for a Pitbull brand front end stand (the type that fits in the triple) they are all different sizes, find the one that fits your triple
cleaning supplies - Armor All Citrus Wipes, Simple Green, automotive or motorcycle specific wash, bucket, sponge, chamois, Plexus or Honda Polish, kerosene
suggest making a tool box specific to the motorcycle to make finding the tools you need easier and quicker
a garage, or a friend that has a garage as not all maintenance can be done on a sidewalk (suspending the chassis to remove your fork tubes or shock) or in 10 minutes (e.g. waiting for UPS to deliver a part you didnt expect needing)
when reinstalling your rear tire, reassemble and torque the bolt down, then loosen, adjust the chain and everything and torque and cotter pin, the first tightening seats the cushdrive making it easier, otherwise when you tighten the bolt the rubbers can tweak the wheel

Gear
motor specific jacket, gloves, boots (which he has, all Frank Thomas)
best helmet you can afford (which he has a nice Shoei)
sunglasses and/or clear glasses - good for warmer weather so you can pop your visor open and not get stuff in your eyes, be legal, et cetera
disc lock or similar security measure for your specific area of storage
sidestand puck for parking in dirt or on hot asphalt
small LED flashlight or headlamp
reflective safety vest or jacket
overpants with hip and knee armor in them
bring an alternate visor with you and store it in a sock so it doesnt get scratched up, if riding day with a tinted shield bring a clear, and vice versa
maps
GPS

Miscellaneous
name and telephone of reputable motorcycle towing service in case of emergency
mobile phone
first aid kit
emergency kit for the bike itself - zip ties, duct tape, cotter pins, tire plug kit and a compact bicycle pump, et cetera
Motorcycle Safety Foundation course or similar; some good reading at this website: http://www.datacraftsystems.co.uk/te...ght/index.html
emergency rain gear such as small and packable poncho or a trash bag, oversize latex gloves, et cetera
Twist of the Wrist 2 by Keith Code (book)
Total Control by Lee Parks (book)
if possible, spend some time on motorcross motorcycles to work on your riding skills
become friends with a machinist, they can make cool stuff for ya
always get gas on the way home after a ride (you never know when a last minute ride might pop up) and when on a ride, anyone gets gas, you too, get on the same gas schedule
if you are starting to get real hot, get gas, it cools the gas tank and makes it more comfortable for you

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
One of those kickstand pucks (homemade or bought). Seems forgettable, but when you don't have one and your kickstand sinks into the dirt/hot asphalt, causing your bike to fall over...

I also carry a customized 1st aid kit, plus a bunch of other stuff that may be excessive to some, but one of the most useful things to have is a spare set of latex gloves. You can use it to waterproof your gloves in a sudden downpour, or keep your hands clean if you have to adjust something on the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Reading comprehension isn't my strong suit, so I didn't if you meant on the bike or just tools for the garage.

Something to carry with you in an emergency case need, zip ties.
For the garage, I just bought a ~260 piece set of tools from Craftsman, include in your stock a GOOD set of screwdrivers, a rubber mallet hammer and some kind of stands.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Rear stand and front tree stand - preferrably Pit Bull.

T handle allen hex head wrenches.

High quality 1/4 inch drive metric set.

Loctite

Antiseize ... be quiet Andy! ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Book: Twist of the wrist 2 (Alot of good info, for beginner and more) (Total Control is decent as well, these 2 cover very similar info..I personally prefer TotW2)

Also youtube videos...no not of all the squids stunting..but find some of the gnarly ones for him for when he starts getting cocky. (There's a really good one of 2 bikes hitting eachother head on around a corner-and by good I mean "Oh crap! are you kidding me?!?!"-, 2 or 3 where deer bounce right off the side of the road into the motorcycles, other goodies out there as a gentle reminder to keep self in check) :)

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
T handle allen wrenches are nice, i like the allen sockets and a t handle socket driver, with proper sockets as well, seems most handy expecially when trying to get in between fairings

motorcycles are pretty easy and there aren't very many differant sizes of fasteners, i took a small toolbox and filled it with all the tools i use on the motorcycle, had to buy a few single sockets and such but it makes it so much easier when i work on the bike, don't forget the cotter pins (if you happen to use those) and i always order differant clips and pins that the motorcycle uses, just incase they get lost or damaged

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Def. on the T-Handles and the First aid kit. Let me add one of the LED flashlights. Comes in real handy, and no worries of the vibrations frying the bulb before you need it the first time.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.