Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is common or not, but here it goes.

I got new Pilot Powers through my dealership a week ago(Yea, hold the comments till the end). Right before I went out one morning, 150 miles later, I checked the tire pressures for the day's ride. I found an eerie 9.3 pounds in the rear tire. After inspection, I pulled a rusty nail out from the center tread with a pair if pliers.

At that point I decided to gave Michelin a call. (Thanks for the advise Gonzo ;) )

I explained my situation to the customer service rep. The rep gave me a case number and instructed me to have my dealership follow up with them on the condition of the tire. I visited the dealership today, and they were very happy to help me out. After certifying that my tire was not safe to repair, Michelin said a brand new tire was on its way. With the return of the old one of course.

So thanks to Michelin and Jack Trebour Suzuki for dealing well with their customers.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I learned the hardware that pulling a nail from the tire can be the worst thing you can do. My Chrylser Concorde was making a clicking noise from the year that increased in frequency as the speed went up.

Upon inspection, I found the rear tire had a nail in it. I pulled the nail out the air in the tire started rushing out. I quickly found a hammer and put the nail back in, the tire held hair just fine. Two hours later and it was plugged by Tires Plus.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
I learned the hardware that pulling a nail from the tire can be the worst thing you can do. My Chrylser Concorde was making a clicking noise from the year that increased in frequency as the speed went up.

Upon inspection, I found the rear tire had a nail in it. I pulled the nail out the air in the tire started rushing out. I quickly found a hammer and put the nail back in, the tire held hair just fine. Two hours later and it was plugged by Tires Plus.
Wow... that was... relevant? :p

Good deal on the new tire treoff. The definitely shows a lot of goodwill on Michelin's part. They certainly weren't obligated to replace your tire in any way. Thanks for posting! I hope I don't ever have the need to try this, but at least I know it's a possibility now.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
treoff said:
So thanks to Michelin and Jack Trebour Suzuki for dealing well with their customers.
I agree with Dave, Jack Trebour Suzuki is great...... But what Michelin did was unreal, that is great!!!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ben_JamminVFCC said:
For free?

That's odd...it wasn't their fault you ran over a nail....pretty good customer service I'd say!
Odd, yea very odd! That four letter 'f' word is not too common. ;)

Poe said:
Good deal on the new tire treoff. The definitely shows a lot of goodwill on Michelin's part. They certainly weren't obligated to replace your tire in any way. Thanks for posting! I hope I don't ever have the need to try this, but at least I know it's a possibility now.
Yea goodwill is something scarce in the business world. I'm glad you appreciate the info.

67GTONUT said:
I agree with Dave, Jack Trebour Suzuki is great...... But what Michelin did was unreal, that is great!!!!
I wasn't sure how good they were until this situation. The best part is they will remount and balance for $20.

billlang675 said:
Nice to see something nice about the Stealers
The stealers can throw you a bone sometimes. Stealers - 1 : www.cheaptirecompany.com - 0

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Good deal with Michelin and the tire. I suspect few people call the manufacturer directly and explain themselves. Pretty cool.

As for all the dealer-haters: I work for a dealership. One that, I'm quite certain, gets labelled a 'stealership' from some unhappy customer. I'm absolutely positive that I'M considered the cause of that label from time to time.

I've found is that very little can be done to make motorcycle consumers happy. Either they think they got a good deal - or they got ripped off and we're thieves. Which, to anyone who knows me, will sound like what it is - bullsh!t.

Profit is not a dirty word. Do your research - come prepared - know WTF you're talking about. I love bikes - and I make my living at this.

If you go in expecting a fight, guess what you'll get?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ruefus said:
Good deal with Michelin and the tire.  I suspect few people call the manufacturer directly and explain themselves.  Pretty cool.

As for all the dealer-haters:  I work for a dealership.  One that, I'm quite certain, gets labelled a 'stealership' from some unhappy customer.  I'm absolutely positive that I'M considered the cause of that label from time to time.

I've found is that very little can be done to make motorcycle consumers happy. Either they think they got a good deal - or they got ripped off and we're thieves.  Which, to anyone who knows me, will sound like what it is - bullsh!t.

Profit is not a dirty word. Do your research - come prepared - know WTF you're talking about.  I love bikes - and I make my living at this.

Well said! I do notice myself being unrealistic sometimes and have to step back.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It actually has nothing to do with the dealer though. Almost all tire companies will replace a tire for free or for less then half. I learned this just this weekend from a guy i started riding with. he had a bridgestone rear that got a nail in it after about 100 miles. he called them up explained the situation and gladly replaced the tire for a nominal fee. The fact that Michelin did it for free is juat awesome though. yet another reason to love my powers.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea thanks alot for the idea again, gonzo! I was surprised they didn't even charge me shipping or whatever!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ruefus said:
Good deal with Michelin and the tire.  I suspect few people call the manufacturer directly and explain themselves.  Pretty cool.

As for all the dealer-haters:  I work for a dealership.  One that, I'm quite certain, gets labelled a 'stealership' from some unhappy customer.  I'm absolutely positive that I'M considered the cause of that label from time to time.

I've found is that very little can be done to make motorcycle consumers happy. Either they think they got a good deal - or they got ripped off and we're thieves.  Which, to anyone who knows me, will sound like what it is - bullsh!t.

Profit is not a dirty word.  Do your research - come prepared - know WTF you're talking about.  I love bikes - and I make my living at this.

I hear where your coming from my friend. But, Dealerships are like individuals and all of them are different. I've had good and bad experiences with Dealerships. You can take it to the bank all my riding buddies have heard the good and the bad form any of my experiences with Dealers.
Cheers! ;)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Dealers are theives! All of them. :mad:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealerships are a type of insurance. I have found if you make friends and treat them nice, they will help you out in a pinch down the road. It does coast money though, but all insurance does. And make sure to pick the right "insurance dealership" from people's feedback. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
treoff said:
I'm not sure if this is common or not, but here it goes.

I got new Pilot Powers through my dealership a week ago(Yea, hold the comments till the end). Right before I went out one morning, 150 miles later, I checked the tire pressures for the day's ride. I found an eerie 9.3 pounds in the rear tire. After inspection, I pulled a rusty nail out from the center tread with a pair if pliers.

At that point I decided to gave Michelin a call. (Thanks for the advise Gonzo  ;) )

I explained my situation to the customer service rep. The rep gave me a case number and instructed me to have my dealership follow up with them on the condition of the tire. I visited the dealership today, and they were very happy to help me out. After certifying that my tire was not safe to repair, Michelin said a brand new tire was on its way. With the return of the old one of course.

their good will goes a long way, you contacted them politely and for some reason they decided you would be the correct person to extend goodwill to, and they were right, you have posted a thread here of your good experience and made millions of dollars invested in advertizing mre effective. I realizt that they cannot afford to extend goodwill to everybody, and i don't expect them to, but it is nice when your recipient of goodwill

but your story reminds me, last May, I had a new set of Azaro STs put on my SV, the day before I was leafing for my annual 4k+ mile deals gap trip. friday moring I get up on my way to work, with less than 10 miles on my tire I picked up a piece of wire, I just plugged it, and forgot about it, had to replace it a couple weeks ago when I found a nail it it, I put 2 plugs in the new hole and it still leaked, it upset me that I prolly still had 3k of miles left in tread but I got 9k out ot it so I'm happy, I should call Avon when I get a flat.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RandyO said:
their good will goes a long way, you contacted them politely and for some reason they decided you would be the correct person to extend goodwill to, and they were right, you have posted a thread here of your good experience and made millions of dollars invested in advertizing mre effective. I realizt that they cannot afford to extend goodwill to everybody, and i don't expect them to, but it is nice when your recipient of goodwill
Goodwill, a.k.a. customer service, is standard business practice for everyone and your 'millions of dollars' analogy is a good example. As for 'not everyone receiving it', I really think it's the customer's situation and initiative that dictates what he will gets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts