Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first FI error today, the infamous C42.
I'm glad to know it's not ueber serious, I was preparing for the worst.
I did have a panic when it happened as I was downtown in nearly 100 degree heat in full gear. Just fiddled around and she started up again. Now she is doing it again in the parking lot.

So per my research, the only proper way to resolve the issue and keep the anti theft in tact is to replace the ignition. Can anyone confirm this? I've read about the wiring alteration(adding a 100ohm resistor). Wondering if anyone else had better experience that will keep the anti theft in tact.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
What does the C42 error code involve?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its something in the ignition involving the anti theft system. It will not allow the bike to start up. So far I got mine to fire up again after playing with the kill switch. Maybe the switch was just sticking and caused it to trip.

·
Registered
920 Posts
are your keys OEM? I've found that i started getting this error when i lost both oem keys and had to get custom ones made, it throws the error every once in so often (only when turning the bike on, never while riding) and usually, flipping the kill switch or turning the bike off and back on fixes it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
While we are on the subject of the anti-theft device built into the SV's can someone with knowledge about the system comment on:

A) Systems for Gen 1 and/or Gen 2
B) Can the bike still be stolen? (Hotwired?)
C) Will it "dead bolt" the bikes engine from being turned on?
D) Any other effects of this system that are worth noting?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
920 Posts
anyone with knowledge of the anti-theft system, would you be willing to chime in about how exactly it works and just what it will do incase its been activated (beside not allowing the bike to start)

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
are your keys OEM? I've found that i started getting this error when i lost both oem keys and had to get custom ones made, it throws the error every once in so often (only when turning the bike on, never while riding) and usually, flipping the kill switch or turning the bike off and back on fixes it.
Did graphite get squirted into the lock? Not sure if it caused the problem, but graphite is conductive and if it flooded the contacts, may have been enough to push the anti-theft voltage (threshold) out of range.

While we are on the subject of the anti-theft device built into the SV's can someone with knowledge about the system comment on:

A) Systems for Gen 1 and/or Gen 2
B) Can the bike still be stolen? (Hotwired?)
C) Will it "dead bolt" the bikes engine from being turned on?
D) Any other effects of this system that are worth noting?

Thanks in advance
a. Gen1 requires 100ohms to ground, Gen2, 100ohms to 12v
b. Yes
c. Not sure about "dead bolt", but there will be no spark if the anti-theft circuit is not satisfied, so essentially, the bike is dead.
d. IMO, it is not a very helpful feature. If someone wants to steal your bike, the age old screwdriver in the lock, or simply throw the bike in a van is much easier. It is kinda like having a dead bolt on the door, but the window is open...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts