Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

The Fix it Project

8K views 56 replies 7 participants last post by  shredG 
#1 ·
I got hold of this 2003 used and abused SV650S now N... ish. 32k miles on the clock and probably been down more times than a $20 whore and carries the same baggage. Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Fuel tank

Body (what remains) is surprisingly good and whoever did the paint job did decent work (was originally that copper/orange color). It has a list of times that needs to be addressed: Fork seals looked original, steering stops in the forward position (bearing issue) and half the nuts and bolts are from a hardware store (some missing). One rearset is OEM another is aftermarket. Grips are the ugliest option I've ever seen put on a bike. That's just the icing on the cake, much more to come in time.

So I started to break it down.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Pay no attention to the stands that no expense was spared on... Seriously, I spent nothing. I found an old 2x4 and wondered "how sketchy can I make this".

First to be addressed were the forks. Rusty, rotted and in need of love. Just like that $20... Oh never mind. That mess was one of the dust seals. And yes, I have all the high dollar tools.
Automotive tire Wood Engineering Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Handheld power drill Drill Hand tool Tool

Next to be worked on (and where I'm currently at with the project) is the steering head. It would literally stop in the forward position. How long that's been going on for is a mystery but the fact that peeps rode with like that is mind boggling.

Anyway... I just to get some good grease to pack the new bearing with and I can put the front end back on.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Camera lens Rim Font
Metalworking hand tool Tool Hand tool Engineering Bicycle part

A little out of order with the pic but next on the list is to rebuild the MC and change the caliper seals. I figure since I'm doing all this other seal work let get the bike as refreshed as possible. I do have a set of brake lines on order since I have a thing against rubber hoses and have issues with OEM's still using them. From there the wheels will be stripped of their custom paint job (really really really bad paint job) and powder coated then new bearings for those too.
Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive design Automotive tire

This will be a slow going project as I'm in no rush but I though it would be cool to post about it. :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Got a little more time in with the old SV yesterday. The steering head it now back together-ish (I'm waiting for a new upper dust cap before putting the top triple back on. Here you can see where I cut the old bearing cup to push down on the new roller bearings. The cut in the old cup was to get it off easier. New pipe, er press, to get it all seated. ;)
Crankset Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Gas
Automotive tire Crankset Wheel Tire Bicycle part
Drinkware Cylinder Cup Gas Auto part

I knew the radiator was a little hammered but when I took it off it seemed to be a bit more hammered than I was hoping for. Lower mount tab was broken off. The big concern is the fan. Part of the shroud was bent in toward the blades jamming the movement of the fan itself. A quick tap on the shroud and it freed up the fans movement. I just need to test the fan to make sure it isn't burnt out. New radiator on order.
Wood Gas Auto part Machine Metal

I replaced the old rubber hoses with silicon hoses, in red, because I'm that guy. A lot of cutting and trimming was required. Hardest part was taking the good scissors from the kitchen. If my wife saw that the project would be over... because I'd be dead.
Product Motor vehicle Bumper Electrical wiring Automotive tire

#5 ·
Only got a chance to do a couple of small things yesterday...

I was able to verify the fan still worked and wasn't burnt out from being wedged against its shroud.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Auto part

Block off plates in place.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Wheel

Had a look at my high dollar Chinese rear sets (joking about the high dollar part of course). I had to go this route on an '06 MV Agusta Brutale 900 I had. They served me well then and I hope they do the same again. Looks like I need to get a pressure switch for the brakes because for all the bits and pieces in the box in no way help with rigging anything up with the existing spring system. But for less than $100 what should I really expect.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Somehow, even with just a little bit of tinkering, I still managed with keep things completely disorganized. lol
Shoe Motor vehicle Bag Luggage and bags Plastic

#8 ·
Got some more time with the SV yesterday. The front end is back on the bike now. With that I can move it on my lift to make life a little easier. I'm old-ish and my back can't do the things it use to.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Crankset Bicycle tire

The new radiator arrived at the end of the day so that will be next to go on. The calipers are on the table to be rebuilt but I may hold off until the new lines come in... Which I have no idea when that will be. The old aftermarket headlight bucket was just put on to see what I was working with. Its a little buggered but those things are cheap so I may just replace it.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

The Duc's little bro is starting to look like a bike again. :)

#9 ·
The subframe is back on now and the eBay radiator is in place. Typical issues with a cheap eBay radiator, 2 of 3 fan mounts needed to be 'manipulated' to work while there was just no hope for the 3rd. Mounting to the bike itself was spot on though (small miracles). The overflow spigot is a different size than the OEM but that's a simple fix.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Started work on the brakes as well. Rebuilt the master cylinder and will start on rebuilding the calipers next. New brake line was also test fitted (see above). Just running a street (OEM) configuration for the lines to keep it simple.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Table Motor vehicle

#10 ·
Worked on the calipers over Thanksgiving. The pistons were removed via compressed air. One of the calipers needed about 80psi to pop out. Little bastards were wedged in there. The amount of crud sludge was a little disturbing. Little elbow grease and a lot of brake cleaner and everything cleaned up nicely. System was bled and is good to go...er... stop!
Automotive tire Bicycle part Gear Rim Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive design Rim
Fluid Tableware Machine Auto part Table

Throttle bodies are back on, pair valve removed from the airbox (hole plugged) and the system fooled (plug and play kit). New air filter in place too. Got some new hose and fittings to convert from the larger overflow spigot from the radiator to the OEM hose size.
Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle Bicycle tire

#11 ·
Coming along nicely. Two questions: Why is there material wrapped around the exhaust? And, your motorcycle stand/lift looks really handy. Where did you buy it? Thanks, and keep up the great write up.

#12 ·
One of the former owners thought it would be a good idea to use the header wrap. Unfortunately no love has been given to it over the years so it looks like shit. I will be removing it but it just hasn't made the to-do list yet. But... I will be replacing it. The old hot-rodder in me is the reason why, no actual real reason other than I want to.

The lift is from Kendon. I've had this one for about 15 years now. Here's a link to their site... https://www.kendonusa.com/collectio...ding-sport-bike-lift-folding-motorcycle-lifts

#14 ·
I finally got a new battery charged up and coolant added in the radiator. Hit the ignition and I'm greeted with the FI flashing... C23 (Tip Over Sensor (TOS)). I'm scratching my head because even though its been over a year since its been started it was running just fine before I started this little project. I take the sensor off and can feel the 'trigger' part still rotating inside it. I broke out the service manual and tested the voltage and resistance and sure enough its hitting the voltage for when its triggered. Service manual says replace, I say lets fix it. I open it up (easy to do) and see that it has a bit of corrosion on the contact points. A bit of PJ1 cleaner and a soft toothbrush and its looking good as new. Install it and still C23... UG...hold on... Install it right way up, no more C23. lol
Circuit component Gadget Automotive tire Audio equipment Font

#52 ·
I finally got a new battery charged up and coolant added in the radiator. Hit the ignition and I'm greeted with the FI flashing... C23 (Tip Over Sensor (TOS)). I'm scratching my head because even though its been over a year since its been started it was running just fine before I started this little project. I take the sensor off and can feel the 'trigger' part still rotating inside it. I broke out the service manual and tested the voltage and resistance and sure enough its hitting the voltage for when its triggered. Service manual says replace, I say lets fix it. I open it up (easy to do) and see that it has a bit of corrosion on the contact points. A bit of PJ1 cleaner and a soft toothbrush and its looking good as new. Install it and still C23... UG...hold on... Install it right way up, no more C23. lol
View attachment 60043

...I like your style.

#18 ·
A pipe will be going on (probably a Delkevic). It had a V&H pipe on it but it took a beating from the one of the prior owners. Its a nice color but only a OK paint job. One of the future projects will be to repaint it again.

#19 ·
Not much done in the last few days. I'm waiting for a few things to come in before I can do much. I did just get a new throttle tube in to replace the torn up one that was on the bike. Lubed the lines since had the chance too.

#20 ·
I got a cheap little fly-screen in. I'm going to use this to also support the gauge pod with a couple of custom brackets. Now I'm hoping Santa takes note of my Amazon wish list and I can finish up the first phase of this 'fix-it' project. :)
Automotive tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Hood
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

#22 · (Edited)
How solid do you find those headlight brackets to be? I believe I have the same set (less than $10 on ebay?) on another project bike and they moved around too much for me. I sprang for another set and doubled them like so, they're rock-solid now.
Solid is not a word I would use to describe them lol. I have another option I will be putting on as soon as I figure out what Santa is bringing. That idea you came up with to double them is fantastic though!

This is what will be coming... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VC8Q73...colid=3I9FRRI80R7NF&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

#24 ·
Got a few extra goodies in yesterday so I was able to knock out some more items. I rebuilt the rear MC and added in the rear brake line and brake pressure switch. I also worked on a tag bracket setup. This was a universal kit and the SV really is not a bike its intended for but managed to make it work. My rebuild kit for the rear caliper hasn't arrived yet so I have a little more to do but then the brakes will be completely done.

If this was what's inside the reservoir then I suspect the gunk in the rear caliper will be just as bad as the front was. The new pressure switch banjo bolt is all hooked up now too.
Automotive lighting Circuit component Electrical wiring Gas Engineering
Wood Tool Bicycle part Auto part Gun accessory
Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Carbon Rim

The new tag bracket and turn signals. A little sketch (since its mounted to the plastic undertray) but its not going anywhere. My soldering skills are junk but the wiring is done. Notice I didn't put a pic up of that area. lol
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Wheel
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

#27 ·
#29 ·
I run an integrated system on my Ducati Sport Classic. I also ran one on my old 1199. They are great options. The only issue is that in VA they are illegal and will not pass our yearly state inspection. Even these may not but they have a better chance of making it through than the integrated ones. Since this project is for my sons first bike I wanted him to have something he wouldn't have to worry about when he goes though the inspection process himself. If you're wondering how I get the Ducati through inspection... I don't. Haven't had it inspected in years now. ;)
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

#30 ·
I worked on the gauge mount yesterday. If you noticed on some of the more recent pics I had installed a little fly screen. The reason for this was to use it as my gauge mount. I just needed to fabricate a couple of brackets to do so. Now that has been done.
Hood Motor vehicle Silver Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

#31 ·
Santa dropped of some goodies! New gas cap, bar-end mirrors and exhaust.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Motorcycle accessories

Hit a couple of small snags with the rear brake.
1st. New seals are on a slow boat and that's holding up progress. I decided to remove it and clean it up as best I could which lead to...
2nd. Rear brake pad just fell apart. I've never seen that happen before the material just fell off the metal part. New pads on order.
3rd. After cleaning the caliper I decided to put it all back together so I could at least get the lines on and bleed the system which lead to discovering I rebuilt the rear M/C incorrectly and I needed to pull it apart and fix it. Not hard, just a WTF moment.

Now I'm just waiting on the new headlight mount to come in (its also on a slow boat). Then I can finish up the front end and start road testing it rather than just revving it on the stand.

#33 ·
With the baffle in it had a nice deep tone and I was pleasantly surprised... But I'm that guy, so the baffle was removed so it is now "that guy" loud. lol

Granted, one of my douche bag neighbors rode by on his Street Glide which is piped with shitty radio blasting proving that even though I can be "that guy" there is always some other guy doing his best to be "that fucking guy".

#35 · (Edited)
The long awaited headlight brackets made it in. These are much more stable than the shitty things that were on before. Better looking too. Since I'm using a 5" (ish) headlight and these brackets don't flex I needed to add some spacers between the brackets and headlights. This is where being a packrat comes in handy sometimes. I had a few bits and pieces left over from a TV wall mount. Inside were a couple of 1" spacers that worked perfectly. Turn signals are on and wired up (but need to be slowed down). Looks like I'm in a spot where I can finish up a few small things and start road testing it.
Automotive tire Automotive design Crankset Bumper Bicycle part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

#36 ·
With the mild weather we had over new years I was able to get it off the stand and take it around the neighborhood for a shakedown run.

I kind of forgot I need to fix the speed sensor as it read 0mph the whole time lol. It rode very well and pulled nice and strong (for what I can do in the hood). Still a few little things to keep me busy until its time to hand it over to my son as his first bike. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.