Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else think it is alternately funny and aggravating that a high percentage of cages sit at least 15 feet behind a motorcycle at a stoplight? Twice in the last two rides, I've been in line at a light and have had the car behind me fail to even come close. You'd think the exhaust was spitting fire or something. Pretty funny a lot of the time.

I get seriously irked, however, when I'm first in line and this crap happens. Then you never get the light and you have to do this stupid "come closer, you idiot, or we'll sit here all day" gesture.

·
Registered
613 Posts
That's why you need the stop light trigger. Works pretty well too.

I wish people would stay far back when I'm riding, but I seem to attract a number of tailgaters, despite riding 10+ over the limit.. :x

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I've noticed that alot down here (Hampton Roads, VA). Even when I'm in my truck. People stay back from the car in front of them by up to 2 car lenghts! Now, I understand that you don't want to be right up on the bumper in case you get rear ended, you (or at least I) wouldn't want to involve the person in front of me. But why 20 feet! Is this something they teach in driver's ed down here? I took mine in NY, and never heard of such a thing. This is right up there with the "slow traffic keep right" thing.

·
Registered
737 Posts
When you stop your car behind another one, you are supposed to be able to see the point of contact between the rear wheels of the car in front of you and the road.

I don't know if that translates to two car lengths, though.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
I wish they would stay back....... Although I will say, since the installation of my HyperLites, they do stop a little further away...

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point. Everyone likes it when the car behind you stops far away, I always watch for cars that are coming up on me too fast, but if your in the front of the pack and they dont creep up behind you, you dont weigh enough to set off the stoplights whichs SUCKS AZZ :evil: I hate getting stuck at a light with no cars behind me, when i have my gear on and its hot outside and i cant get air moving because of the constant red light.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was going to ask where you live that this is such a big issue. But then I saw your location. Nevermind.

Maybe the locals could invest in a little better sensor technology. If not, there is a device available you can buy for exactly that situation, as a previous poster noted.

Last thing we want is to teach cages to do is ride up close on us at a stoplight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
05SVS said:
I think you guys are missing the point. Everyone likes it when the car behind you stops far away, I always watch for cars that are coming up on me too fast, but if your in the front of the pack and they dont creep up behind you, you dont weigh enough to set off the stoplights whichs SUCKS AZZ :evil: I hate getting stuck at a light with no cars behind me, when i have my gear on and its hot outside and i cant get air moving because of the constant red light.

Its not the weight that sets off the trigger for the stop lights. Its an electrical impulse that engines give off. Cars obviously give a stronger wave, which is why the light turns green for them. I havnt tried those "green light triggers" for bikes yet, supposedly they only work on the new style stop light but might be worth the $20.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
With my Back OFF XP unit more stay back then come close. But that's a good thing. I never crowd anyone stopped in front of me at a light and always give bikers a wide birth. I've been doing that ever since going to bikeweek back in the early 90s.

But for those that crowd me at a light, well I make sure to wait for a full green light and slowwwwly take off and genetly accelerate to just below the speed limit till they get pissed and move into the other lane and then I drop the hammer and zoom away!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I am happy when they hang back at least it means they are paying attention to me.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
The sensors detect metal, not the electrical implulse from the engine. Most bikes don't have much metal, but will still trigger the sensor. However, not all sensors are visible in the road, so you may not pull up to the right spot. The little $20 thingy should help, giving the "illusion" of a larger metal object over the sensor. Probably a good investment, but I haven't needed one yet. There's enough traffic here that I can depend on cars for now.

Stupid traffic! :evil:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I'm not talking about people staying away while I'm moving. I have a buffer that I'm comfy with and if they get closer the brake lights go on briefly, and if they don't drop back, they get a staredown.

I do want peopel to figure out that once a bike is stopped at an intersection, it is OK to get as close as you would to a car. Otherwise, up here where I live, you sit...3 light cycles once before I just ran it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's funny how some drivers tailgate right up your exhaust pipe while in motion, then hang way back at stop lights. I once actually had to signal a driver to pull forward onto the sensor to get a green left arrow after three green/red cycles at the rest of the intersection. :roll:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm actually a fan of people hanging back a bit more. Around these podunk parts, the sensors RARELY work even for cars :-D Seriously though, it's an every day event that at least one or two cars will pull up to my exhaust before stopping, and this happens at cyclical lights w/out sensors! If I miss a light, or it doesn't change, I just say f*&k it and either go through or make a short circle.

If I could only find a way to keep the people off my backside at a stoplight, I'd be a happy camper.

·
Registered
613 Posts
As I said in my post, the stop light trigger, or "green light trigger" works well. I have one :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think it is because they are worried that they will scare you or if they slip off the brake they will kill you. I appreciate it usually. And if you turn around and wave them up, they typically catch on pretty quick. (like when the other light turns yellow)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
stop lights

I have been doing this for years with good results. If the light doesn't turn in one cycle I put down my sidestand. Gets a little metal closer to the sensors in the ashphalt.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: stop lights

Jimmie Davis said:
I have been doing this for years with good results. If the light doesn't turn in one cycle I put down my sidestand. Gets a little metal closer to the sensors in the ashphalt.
If I'm alone I jump off and hit the crosswalk button :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts