Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents, it's true.

Last night, at the batcave, I saw first hand the dangers of mold release. JBSwear and J-Dog were there to take part in seeing the dangers and I figured it was my civic duty to report them all to you...

1) My old D220 rear tire had no mold release on it and yet, after 15,000 miles, the metal from the inside of the tire started to work it's way out! The mold release of the new BT-021s that I purchased must have contaminated my old tires!!!

2) When changing the tire... J-Dog's hand slipped upon said mold release and his finger was crushed in an epic battle between the three natural forces of this planet... fingers, metal, and mold release. Had the release not made the tire so slick, J-Dog's finger would have been spared.

3) Mold release is a natural destroyer of rear brake caliper brackets!! After changing the rear tire and putting the wheel back on, the rear caliper bracket rubbed against my rotor and caused a terrible smell that I could only assume mold release agent had caused!! We put the spacer back on the wheel and it seemed to hold that issue at bay as the mold release calmed down.

Overall I'd like to suggest that no one ever buy new tires. I've seen mold release agent's power first hand and I don't think that the life of another human should ever be put at risk!!

Say No to New!!

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think mold release causes stupidity. Nothing more.

:) inserted for comedic effect.
And that's where you're wrong. Though it's hard to pinpoint the dangers of mold release. Now that I have a tire shaped like a hemisphere (instead of a dual profile tire) I feel 1000 times more confident in turns but that mold release still lurks around every corner! I can see it!!!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ OMG you guys have pics of the mold release!? lol.

Nope, hopefully no more wrecking now that my rear tire isn't like:

Tilt... tilt... tilt... BIKE IS NOW OVER THE SECOND EDGE ON TEH TIRE AND FALLING OVER!!

Now it's like:

Tilt... tilt... tilt... tilt... tilt... tilt... tilt...

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
^^ OMG you guys have pics of the mold release!? lol.

Nope, hopefully no more wrecking now that my rear tire isn't like:

Tilt... tilt... tilt... BIKE IS NOW OVER THE SECOND EDGE ON TEH TIRE AND FALLING OVER!!

Now it's like:

Tilt... tilt... tilt... tilt... tilt... tilt... tilt...
I know what you're talkin about. my stock 220's had the curves of a stop sign. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
What is mold release? I mean what do the advertisers of the product claim that it does?

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
What is mold release? I mean what do the advertisers of the product claim that it does?
It's this stuff they put on the surface of the tire when it's being manufactured, supposedly to keep the rubber from sticking to the mold or something. Makes the tires pretty slick for a while after you put them on the bike. That's why you hear about people "scrubbing" new tires in a parking lot.

Oh, and mold release is the smasher of fingers.

Nice Wally, I lol'ed.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
The S's and W's are ok, it's the X's that are kicking my butt. :p

Nah, I'm stuck with the hunt and peck typing for a while. Co-workers seem to think it's broken. But there's not much you can really do about a broken finger other than put a splint on it and try not to use it. I think I'm gonna splint it anyway, just to be safe.

Oh, and I got stuck in the elevator this morning at work... twice. I have the best luck Evar! ;D

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
:lmao:

I ain't going to no hospital! Gimme a Sawzall and a handle of Jack Daniels. I'll do it myself.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
At least it's not a picture of Ari's ass.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts