Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I don't want to beat the already extra beatten horse but I got a question, that might interest others. What is the correct oil level? I found many opinions about this, including one from the FAQ Tips and Tricks: I'll try to quote the thread starter : Oil level must be BETWEEN the Low and Full marks - between as in the middle? Some people recommend that the oil should be at the Full mark, some between the L/F marks. So...what is the correct one? As far as I kno the oil level might influence the shifting of the gears, but I don't want to lack the motor of oil.:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Too much oil makes shifting more difficult. Too little is bad for the bike. Fill to between the lines. I aim for half way between

Pour oil into the filler, 2.4 US qt, 2.0 imp qt, or 2.3 liters. Start the bike and run it a few minutes. Turn it off and holding the bike level, check the oil level in the sight glass on the right side of the engine. If it's above full, drain a bit out, if below low, add a bit more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Someone mentioned its bad to keep the level below the max line for some reason... They sounded knowledgeable about it... I think you should start with MAX line and hope your bike does not eat oil... Mine does not. I keep it for 5-6k miles but I use synthetic Rotella...

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
My '01 is 11yrs old and the oil level was always in the middle, not at max and my motor is still going strong, owned by another using dino oil.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Rotella T, nuff said

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
If you use the quantity of oil recommended in the Owner's Manual the oil will be at the full mark. If you don't measure, it's a tedious task of trial and error.

I measure my oil in a 1 litre beaker (100CC graduations) and when measuring the correct amount, the oil is at the full mark. Right where I want it. Not too much, not too little.

Amazing.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
just like a dipstick in a car

anywhere between high and low is full

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
My service manual states:

Place the motorcycle on level ground and hold it in an upright position. Check the oil level in the oil level sight glass. If the oil level is below the "L" mark, add oil until the oil level is at the "F" mark.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Is this an oil thread?.... my oh my...

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Hello everyone, I don't want to beat the already extra beatten horse but I got a question, that might interest others. What is the correct oil level? I found many opinions about this, including one from the FAQ Tips and Tricks: I'll try to quote the thread starter : Oil level must be BETWEEN the Low and Full marks - between as in the middle? Some people recommend that the oil should be at the Full mark, some between the L/F marks. So...what is the correct one? As far as I kno the oil level might influence the shifting of the gears, but I don't want to lack the motor of oil.:eek:ccasion14:

What does "between" mean? It's not that difficult, really.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts