Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

12541 - 12560 of 22072 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I remember when it came out. All of our RZ350s, which were the bike to have in the Light Weight Grand Prix class, became instantly outdated.

I wanted an FZR so badly in those days .. but I didnt have 2 nickels back then.
How badly do you want one, I have a couple in boxes (many many boxes). One of the motors will need a full rebuild though, and it's not cheap.

TBH, they're not really that much fun, get yourself an NC35 if you're looking for a 400. Having said that, I've one mate who loves them over all the other 400s. I have another mate who put one into the front of a car on the main street of town when we were 18 :D Cost him a cracked shoulder IIRC.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I saw that at the 2007 show in DC. I filled out the comment card, talked to the guys at the stand, and did all one person could to convince them that I at least would have been an immediate sale, short of writing them a check then and there.
+1 My friends and I all did the same at the NYC show.

You would think Cagiva could source (or produce) another motor?

I vote for the KTM690 motor.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Happy 'Stralia day!

British eccentric Lord Hesketh bought all of the remaining Astralite stock when production ceased in 1992 for use on his giant Hesketh V1000's.
I do not know the connection with Laverda though, except that Laverda Jota's, Mirage's and Montjuic's were actually assembled in England, not Italy.
Ta Bluey. For the well wishes and the info. A true Australian drops the "L"; so you get Straya. Disgusting habit in my books. Other Americans call us Strines, accordingly.

Straya Day is often marred by drunken bloodshed: dckheads wrapped in the Australian flag beating up migrants. This is the first symptom of politicians' keen desire to radically mix up the whole of the worlds' population. Fortunately the media doesn't seem to have reported any rubbish yet.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
More Scariness

Three chics, no men, an outfit and a trailer (aka The Fun Box). At least I think that's woman in the doorway. Terrifying.

·
Registered
441 Posts
No one claimed that clip-ons work your core, we were saying that using your core muscles prevents unecessary strain on your back and wrists, bad attempt at a cheap shot dude!:rolleyes:
Nope. 7 out of 8 dentists agree, it was a good attempt at a mid-priced shot.

Three chics, no men, an outfit and a trailer (aka The Fun Box). At least I think that's woman in the doorway. Terrifying.

Maybe it's Terry Gilliam! Good grief those guys could crack me up!

I thought it was fun until someone freaked out on ya. Then I couldn't resist poking at it a bit with my own dumb remark.
Meh.. it's still all fun. Oh, and by the way Boldor, YOU'RE A LIAR!! MWAAAHAHAHAHA!!

just kidding. :p

I've gotta say, I love the looks of a naked bike with clip-ons. That's how I had my SV set up back in the day, but this bike is far prettier:

I agree, low grips certainly do add to a different (and good) look (which is more than I can say for those ugly dual pipes on each side). I'm actually seriously looking at a few 06/07 s2r and s4rs. I've got my cash together, now I just need to find the right one. Then my wife will get my SV. I had settled on the Guzzi Griso 8V, but considering how few of them are sold in the US, I doubt I'll find a used one in my price range.

Now that looks infinitely better than stock! And it still keeps a very stock look. Thanks RD!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Maybe it's Terry Gilliam! Good grief those guys could crack me up!

\Meh.. it's still all fun. Oh, and by the way Boldor, YOU'RE A LIAR!! MWAAAHAHAHAHA!!
Have you seen the Ripping Yarn series? I'll PM the link.

Maybe I should've been more clear. You have to agressively challenge my honesty without any reasonable evidence to get a rise out of me. If you prove me wrong on any issue, I will happily concede the point.

Yes something like "bike perving" should not be taken very seriously at all. In fact everything to do with bikes should be kept on the level of mere fun. If you take them seriously their point is somewhat lost.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Here's a nice FZR400:

Mods:
YZF600 carbs with Dynojet Stage 1 jet kit, with 185 main and 35 pilot; custom FZR400 airbox adapted to fit YZF600 carbs
YZF600 rad
R6 header with FMF midpipe/muffler in anodized blue
Fox Twin Clicker rear shock (apparently set up for 160 lbs rider)
Race-Tech 0.85 kg/mm front springs
99-02 R6 calipers, master cylinder with Galfer braided lines
Galfer wave rotors
TZR250 rear wheel (4.5X17)
Modking hydraulic clutch conversion with YZF750 master cylinder
02 R1 dash with speed sensor in crankcase (as per WIKI) - EVERYTHING works, even had the FZR400 fuel tank modified with a YZF600 fuel sensor
Sargent seat (also comes with stock passenger seat)
Sylvania Superstars
Custom painted Zero Gravity windscreen (to emulate the factory black stripe)
Tapeworks graphics
GSX-R1000 mirrors
And these are the BEFORE pictures. Guy is building what promises to be a pretty cool streetfighter.

·
Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
That FZR400 is sweet. I remember seeing them at the track and wanting one really bad. Is he really making a Streetfighter out of it? - seems like that would be a total waste.

I had to settle for one of these: 1986 FZ600. A cheap impersonator unfortunately. Aircooled 600 power was underwhelming, but handling was excellent for those days.

(photo is off the web, not my actual bike)

Jay

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Is he really making a Streetfighter out of it? - seems like that would be a total waste.
Agreed ..

Most "improvements" seriously detract from the beauty of the stock bike. The FZR400 is one to leave alone ..

·
Registered
596 Posts
If this is a test ... I can't tell if I passed or failed.
But I love it ! I'm a big fan of what we used to call "sleepers". Ya know the cars that looked like a businessman's sedan with a pro-stock motor hidden underneath the hood. Same with bikes. Retro-cruiser looking R1 or a SV650 that looks like a 305 Dream .... hmmm ;)

Well it's...different.

12541 - 12560 of 22072 Posts