Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

12001 - 12020 of 22075 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I absolutely LOVE this modded Harley Iron, a builder/customizer from Taiwan named Winston Yeh...

This has an interesting story, if I remember it correctly. Essentially Taiwanese law doesn't allow modifications basically at all, but they're also somewhat lax on inspections, so if you can modify it so it still looks kind of like something stock (and god knows Harley sells so many variations of everything it wouldn't be hard), then it's not too hard to get away with. So he did.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts

More MV goodness .. the revised 2011 920 Brutale.
That's choice! What's going on with the rear tyre and the paddock stand though? You'd reckon if it's worth shopping, you'd get rid of the paddock stand altogether.

Like the CBX six-pots too thanks Tel, especially the first one with the red frame.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yamaha XT500 Supermoto

More so than any other SM bike that's been posted, this bike really appeals to me. I love the laced wheels with modern tires, contrasted with the older styling and kick start. It just works for me.
This bike is so sick. I have been trying to figure out what kind of old-school bike to build. This may have pushed me over the edge...

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
This bike is so sick. I have been trying to figure out what kind of old-school bike to build. This may have pushed me over the edge...
I too love this particular bike.

I also highly endorse the idea of building projects around these Yamaha SR/XT/TT 500 singles. Clean examples of all 3 are out there for not a lot of money, all sorts of parts are still available for performance and styling, and in the end, you will have a light weight bike that is likely more fun and reliable than just about any other vintage ride.

And I say that not just to make myself feel better about my impending cash dump into my old SRX600, the evil spawn of the 500 singles.

As you can see with this OMC SR500 in Seeley Replica frame, the sky, your imagination and your wallet are the only limits.

·
Registered
704 Posts
This has an interesting story, if I remember it correctly. Essentially Taiwanese law doesn't allow modifications basically at all, but they're also somewhat lax on inspections, so if you can modify it so it still looks kind of like something stock (and god knows Harley sells so many variations of everything it wouldn't be hard), then it's not too hard to get away with. So he did.
Yeah that's what I really like about it. The mods are subtle but make the bike SO much better/cooler. I LOVE that front wheel, he modified an Iron rear wheel to run on the front. He says he's going to offer all of the parts from his web site (Roughcraft). I'd love to do that to a Nightster. But then I guess it would just be a 48... lol

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I too love this particular bike.

I also highly endorse the idea of building projects around these Yamaha SR/XT/TT 500 singles. Clean examples of all 3 are out there for not a lot of money, all sorts of parts are still available for performance and styling, and in the end, you will have a light weight bike that is likely more fun and reliable than just about any other vintage ride.

And I say that not just to make myself feel better about my impending cash dump into my old SRX600, the evil spawn of the 500 singles.

As you can see with this OMC SR500 in Seeley Replica frame, the sky, your imagination and your wallet are the only limits.

And I'll tell you to get an XS engine. They're SO much better looking.

:nana:

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
And I'll tell you to get an XS engine. They're SO much better looking.

:nana:
I guess I agree that the XS650 motor is better looking ... in a British twin wanna-be kinda way.

But you also get a lot of extra weight for not a lot of extra HP with the XS.

As far as singles go, I think the SR is right up there with some of the nicest lookers in bike history .. its very clean!

Thousands of Asians and Europeans must think so too as it remains for sale to this day, almost unchanged, since the mid-70s!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
More shots from the Spannerland Christmas Party

A trio of XRTT Harley factory racers ..

·
Registered
8,397 Posts

A shot of the Cosworth Norton with the Peter Williams John Payer Norton monocoque in the background.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
More loveliness, ta RD. Love the wheels.

Now a question, to any single lover, not just RD. Forgive my ignorance, it's not that I have any queer-arse, snobbish attitude towards smaller, lesser powered bikes; I just have no experience with them: except 2-strokes.

What is their appeal? I understand small and light from my RGV. What is the thrill you get from a single?

I re-iterate, I am not having a dig, I am really interested.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I guess I agree that the XS650 motor is better looking ... in a British twin wanna-be kinda way.

But you also get a lot of extra weight for not a lot of extra HP with the XS.

As far as singles go, I think the SR is right up there with some of the nicest lookers in bike history .. its very clean!

Thousands of Asians and Europeans must think so too as it remains for sale to this day, almost unchanged, since the mid-70s!
I owned an SR500-F 79. Did all the tricks carb/pipe. It was a good bike that got me to work and back but seriously lacked horsepower. I think stock it had 26hp at the rear wheel. One of the mags of the day tried hard to do cams and porting but the design of the cylinder head was not condusive to making a lot of power. They finally gave up. A BSA Goldstar would runaway and hide from an SR. In its day.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
They trade hp.for torque,bet your rgv would not wheele from idle. :)
No, you're right. My Triple Trumpet will though.

But then they're not my brand of wheelie. I like the kind of wheelie that's hard not to pull because you've exited the turn right in the meat of the zone and the front begins to lift just 'coz. Point of balance wheelies are difficult to do and require talent - no question. But I like the wheelies the bike pulls just 'coz it's just hit Millenium Falcon warp III and you wanna make sure you're not pointed at anything which is gunna stop you suddenly.

12001 - 12020 of 22075 Posts