·
Registered
8,397 Posts

Rare Kawaski KR-1 250 2 stroke.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Wow .. 10,000 posts! 1.5 million views.

Congrats everyone to the best (and biggest?) cool bike and cafe bike thread on the internet.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Wow .. 10,000 posts! 1.5 million views.

Congrats everyone to the best (and biggest?) cool bike and cafe bike thread on the internet.
Sweet! That's like the whole world! And you and variable9 pretty much spearheaded it! :)

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
So how does the power of a 2 stroke bike compare to the power of a 4 stroke bike?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Twice as much power per displacement size, plus MUCH less weight. A 1000+CC 2 stroker would be a monster engine but probably hard to maintain and keep from blowing it self apart.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Fap Fap.

IF, and I stress IF, if was going to fap fap over a bike, this would be close. AND IT'S A PARALLEL TWIN? Since when were they sexy?

So Aprilia knocked BMW of the perch, now Kawasaki has blown them both away with a 210bhp, litre, 198 kegs (wet) monster.

And, Armyowalgreens, if you have to ask the question; ride one! Steal it if you have to! When you find the right two-stroke, you'll wonder why everyone talks about sex. They are the drug. In fact consider an RG500 as the heroin of bikes. It'll give you a rush as big as the Kawasaki (above), but it'll kill you too. Which is what makes Doohan and Sheene the two Gods of motorcyling.

Here is another tid-bit for those interested. Lawnmowers were mentioned a page or two ago. My great uncle (Merv Victor [- aka Victa] Richardson) invented them - no $hit!

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
So how does the power of a 2 stroke bike compare to the power of a 4 stroke bike?
Maybe 50% more per displacement, but they will burn more fuel per hp generated, and have nasty emissions (lots of unburned fuel and burned oil goes out the tailpipe - hence the nickname "2-smoke"). Also, they generally have a narrower rev range where they make usable power. They are lighter and mechanically simpler, but they are dynamically more complicated and harder to tune.

With a 4-stroke, if you want to shift peak torque farther up the rev range, you change the cam and maybe intake & exhaust. On a 2-stroke, you get out the porting tools and start cutting into the cylinder. Guess which one is easier to put back if you don't like the result? ;)

Today's 800cc GP 4-strokes are making a lot more power than the 500cc 2-strokes from 9 years ago, and they're easier to ride. Get Rossi's famous overview of the old 500cc bikes about 20 seconds into this clip:

This might sound like I'm anti-2-stroke, but I'm not. They're finicky, hard to ride, hard to tune, but just plain bad-ass. Nothing else will ever be as cool as a radical 2-stroke. If they weren't so absolutely horrible environmentally I'd have a collection of 'em, but I couldn't live with myself riding around leaving that cloud of poison behind me.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
I saw this bike last night on American Choppers. It's messed up, and an abomination, but there's something I can't help but like about it:

Sorry, no good pictures of that rear suspension.

Like, WTF is this? It's a chopper! It's a bobber! It's a hill-climber! It's a hot-rod! It looks like 5 guys each designed one part of the bike and then threw it all together. Still, it has a certain charm IMO.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The paint work on the tank is pretty amazing, but that stupid cheap looking plastic skull on the front looks really dumb.

·
Registered
69 Posts
^^^ I like 100% of this bike. Do you have more info RD?

10001 - 10020 of 22075 Posts