Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please, feel free...

...but at least have the common decency to properly reference your post with a link, or a picture.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start.

I must admit that I rather like this Exile Black Bull:

That's about as clean a look as I've seen on a motorcycle. Does the brake pedal operate both front & rear brakes via a proportioning valve or something?
I really fail to see what makes this bike worth $50,000 (other than there are obviously people willing to pay that much for it. All I see is a rigid frame, an off-the-shelf S&S engine, and some solid wheels. It does look clean, but $50k, seriously?

Looked at another way: You can buy the entire kit for under $30,000, so it costs them $20,000 just to throw it together and spray some bedliner on it? Really?

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the only thing that makes anything worth anything.
Thank you, Captain Obvious. ;D. I'd much rather have your 690 than one of those, and an extra $20k+ to do something crazy, like, oh, I dunno, pay off my car, my debt, then do trackdays until I could ride it like it deserved to be ridden.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Thank you, Captain Obvious. ;D. I'd much rather have your 690 than one of those, and an extra $20k+ to do something crazy, like, oh, I dunno, pay off my car, my debt, then do trackdays until I could ride it like it deserved to be ridden.
Well, really it's the only answer.

What makes that Black Bull worth $50k is stuff that can't really be broken down into #'s. Enough people want it enough that he can charge that much and still sell all he can build.

NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT!

But a lot of what you're paying for is the brand, and that's kind of indefinable. But Russel built that brand with a lot of determination and inspiration, and I don't begrudge him his success.

OCC on the other hand... :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I confess to not knowing anything about Mr. Russel and his brand, but I will take your word for it. I don't begrudge anyone success who has come by through intelligence, dedication, and hard work, no matter how little intrinsic value I might assign to their product.

To be fair, I have to admit it's one of the more attractive bikes I have seen in the "chopper" genre, probably because to me it looks more like a rational, real riding bike than any of the abortions from the Pauls, et al.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually think I'd spent the mythical 50 grand on the bike Syscrush and I were talking about before the Wraith. It just looks to me like they are trying way to hard to make them fugly. Call me an old codger, but I have certain design paradigms that can be bent, but shouldn't be broken.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I'll start.

I really fail to see what makes this bike worth $50,000 (other than there are obviously people willing to pay that much for it. All I see is a rigid frame, an off-the-shelf S&S engine, and some solid wheels. It does look clean, but $50k, seriously?

Looked at another way: You can buy the entire kit for under $30,000, so it costs them $20,000 just to throw it together and spray some bedliner on it? Really?

Go to the site and you can see a breakdown of the kit price, which comes in at just under $30k. I think one would be a fool to do it, but to each their own.

Much of that high price is "high quality" parts...Jim's 6-speed transmission runs nearly $3k. The engine is $8k for the 121" S&S set up. The wheels are $2.5k for the set, I think. The handle bar alone is $1k?

Crazy.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
:dizzy:

Okay, that explains it. They are making all the parts out of a highly advanced unobtanium alloy. This clearly has enormous benefits over steel tubing that costs $50 for a set.
1) Obviously there's a lot of markup.

2) I don't think that a regular $50 bar will work with those low-profile twist grip controls that run the cables inside the bar.

3) You've gotta admit, they do look very nice. ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
1) Obviously there's a lot of markup.

2) I don't think that a regular $50 bar will work with those low-profile twist grip controls that run the cables inside the bar.

3) You've gotta admit, they do look very nice. ;)

Pretty sure I can stick a tube into my bender and make a bar that's capable of housing those low profile twist grips and controls and run the cables inside the bar and even drill the holes for less the 10$. Hell I'll even powder coat it in my oven for a bit more.

Personally I think that bike is awesome, and that ebay listed 40K bike is just as balls out ugly as it gets.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Put me down as a big fan of Exile products,
simply the best application of bad ass combined with traditional and an eye for clean sculpture.

That Black Bull? Oh HAIL YEAH, it could well be my choice of "Bad"!
I love it.... but $50,000?
More power to ya, I'll never have that kind of money, and could likely not duplicate that sweet B.Bull even if I was given $60,000 to do it (oh YES I could.....!).

Sweet bike.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Anyhow, we're onto our 2nd page of talking about one **** bike. :)

Let's change the subject to the ugliness of Guzzi sumps and/or BMW Airhead blocks/cases!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Let's change the subject to the ugliness of Guzzi sumps and/or BMW Airhead blocks/cases!
or how trite/boring an unmodified (though timeless) a Honda 550 is,
maybe the appeal of a designer name black & orange thumper.

"...eye of the beholder"

Bikes, I likes 'em all.

(The only thing I would change on that Black Bull is give it mid-controls instead of ghey cowboy forward-controls)

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about the retraining that would be required to operate a twist-clutch? I've never tried one, but it would seem a bit awkward, as you are simultaneously twisting the throttle with one hand and the clutch with the other. I would imagine your brain might have a hard time separating and synchronizing those to movements.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts