Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the Busa really good for? Seems like a majority of them get turned into drag bikes or wrecked.

Looks like one could pick a dropped one up for cheap and get a set of racks and have an uberpowerful sport touring setup. Been wondering about what they were good for since I found one with rashed plastic for 4.5K.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You pretty much said it, drag racing or touring...but lots of people don't realize that their pretty capable in the turns too, our local ride leader had one with hard bags mounted and he used to trounce most of the other local riders in the more spirited group rides through the twisties and back roads. Now he does it on a concourse 1400.

Saddlebags on both bikes ended up with 8 inch long holes in the bottom from dragging the road.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
you'd be surprised at how well they can handle. A buddy of mine smokes me in the twisties on my SV. Even the shortest of straightaways and he will pull away like I was standing still.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bar risers, windshield, hard luggage, and you have the sport touring model that Suzuki never bothered to build!!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Same goes with the ZX-14...although it's more touring than sport oriented. Saw one with a touring screen, hard bags, higher clip ons...looked quite comfy!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Had to do a valve adjustment on a Concourse 14 yesterday, that bike is crazy complicated. I swear to god you could rip the wiring out of five SV's and still not come close to the amount of electrical on that machine. Snazzy and all, but a pain to work on. This guy had a 2008 with 17,000 miles on it, not bad.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
A B-king is pretty much a touring busa. Its a stardard upright bike with a busa engine and no fairings. A Concourse(sp?) is a zx-14 motor just detuned for touring, they added a set of secondary butterfly's to reduce top end. Remove those and you have a upright zx-14.

Busa's are designed to be sport touring bikes. IDK how comfortable they'd be for 12 hours but thats what I was told by a dealer they were designed for. But you are entirely correct saying that most busa's end up as drag bikes or some "show" bike that is 8 inches too long with more chrome than common sense.

G

·
Busas have a 5 1/2 gallon tank, and a guy I know says he gets at least 40 mpg if he takes it easy. With that in mind, then he should be able to ride for at least 3 1/2 hours without having to stop, which isn't bad, IMO.

Yeah, if you don't mind crappy range (small tank and notoriously low mpg) and replacing rear tires 4-5 times a season.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Busas have a 5 1/2 gallon tank, and a guy I know says he gets at least 40 mpg if he takes it easy. With that in mind, then he should be able to ride for at least 3 1/2 hours without having to stop, which isn't bad, IMO.
The 2 guys I "tour" with both ride Busa's, and love them for the long haul (bar risers help out a lot). When we ride together I usually lead, and when I stop for fuel, they also fill up. At the same speed, in the same conditions, they burn almost an identical amount of fuel to me. Basically, balanced between differences in weight, and aerodynamics, it takes "x" amount of fuel to travel "x" speed, for a designated distance, and the 2 seem to balance out between the different bikes.

That said, they are a total rocket when the road is wide sweepers, or straight. However, when the roads get technical, the SV is a scalpel. The Busa, a steak knife!

A B-king is pretty much a touring busa. Its a stardard upright bike with a busa engine and no fairings.
No wind protection, and 120 mile range, does not a touring bike make, but around town would be a blast.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Andrea and I met a guy at a gas station in South Dakota who had ridden a ZX 14 from Alaska. He was heading to New York. I've also had my rear end handed to me in the twisties by a couple riding two up on a busa. If I had more money, and hadn't just bought my newest toy, I'd like to have one for over the road.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Just to throw my $.02. I look at it like this. The Busa is a HyperSport bike. Sure you can make it into a tourer. But it is not it's true purpose. Kinda of like how we make our commuter bikes into touring bikes. It can be done, it has been done and it will be done. If it were me I wouldn't pay the extra insurance rates, go through with all the exra mods to get bags and touring comfort. Secondly I have no need or want tot get to 100 mph as fast a Busa would get me there. Plus are you really able to use all that hp and torque in the twisties? I don't know and don't care. If I was to buy a Touring bike I would buy a bike specifically built from factory for that purpose. The Busa is one hell of a bike as for tech and power, but I really think it would be hard to throw one around in the corners as any long period of time. But hell what do I know, I don't own one, never ridden one, don't want one and don't want to ride one. One main reason is because if I have that much power at my disposal I am going to use it. That's what I would be buying and riding, "The fastest production motorcycle in the world", right?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts