Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got it. Came all modded up already but still needs some work. No doubt this thing need to be rebuilt, but how? Restore or modify? I'm thinking modify without chopping anything, so I can still make it into a restoration after I'm done playing with it.

Haven't had a bike like this since junior high, and it wasn't even motorized. Input required.

In my car last night after picking it up. The owner wanted to back out on the deal, but i gave him a guilt trip reminding him his word and that we shook on it. He gave in, and here it is:

Introgucing the Buffalo.....solid. (You know I MUST work that word into everything. :p)

Pretty crappy looking, right? It's a D-Yahmond in dee roulwf.
The back end, all hopped up already:

It'll look something like this after I'm done with it, eventually:

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uhh...dirt?
Eh... had some trouble with my photo bucket account. I had to type in the file name manually. Photos are changed.

Edit: Crap! I just noticed the swing arm is different... I guess they canged some stuff after '68. Mine is a '71 year model.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My father has that exact bike in pieces in his shop. He bought his new, but I think his is a '72. Good luck on the repairs.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

I think I found a pic of what my '71 used to look like in its glory days.

Yamaha's Dt-1 MX package.

The '72 DT-2 MX

Got to check the VIN # to confirm that it's a MX packageed '71.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those forks are shot.

Here is a link to a clean '71:

http://us.geocities.com/pantera1973/yamahadt-1.html
You don't think I can rebuild the fork tubes? They are pitted pretty badly, but only on the upper portion. not sure how long the travel is on it, but there is a few inches from the bottom that is still serviceable.

Right now I just want to get it to run first and make it street legal. Bare minimum, of course, so I can register it as a road bike.

I still have a couple of jobs to do before I can really dig into this one. I don't think I can keep my hands off it for long. :)

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that's clean. I still like the red badges on the '68 better. The pearl white also.

Does this thing even get ridden? lol

I think I can put a better polish on those covers, or do some "effects" with the finish.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks like a good time to by a bench top sand blaster, and some soda media!

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like a good time to by a bench top sand blaster, and some soda media!
Soda? What about those plastic things and the tumblers? Soda? Like baking soda?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Soda? What about those plastic things and the tumblers? Soda? Like baking soda?

If you can fit the pieces into a tumbler, that'll work, too.

Soda media is baking soda.

For my Harley resto (and eventually the GT380), I'll have the aluminum cases bead blasted, left rough, and then clear coated with a satin PC. You might wanna look into that. It gives a nice "rough" finish that still looks good.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a regular pressurized media blaster right? Like the ones from HF? I must have that tool, but the smallest one is $300. Can I use the $100 tank from HF and use soda media?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
You don't think I can rebuild the fork tubes? They are pitted pretty badly, but only on the upper portion. not sure how long the travel is on it, but there is a few inches from the bottom that is still serviceable.
Given my experience with 70's dirt bikes, you will bottom those pretty easily if you ride aggressively at all or even quickly off-road, and when that pitted part hits your forks seals, leaks ensue :).

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess he'll just need to do a GSX-R front end swap...
Don't tempt me...

This might be a good excuse to upgrade. The stock tripple support 34mm tubes. Any suggestions for the front end besides replacing it with the same part?

I hear this thing doesn't handle so well on paved roads. Maybe I can change that. Suggestions?

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Edit: Crap! I just noticed the swing arm is different... I guess they canged some stuff after '68. Mine is a '71 year model.

Nope. Checked the Vin, and it was a 1969 model. DT1B. Already got the oil pump and drive gear. I can't figure out why they used plastic, but hay, I'm not the engineer over here...

Still waiting on a couple of critical parts. I'll update the build thread once I get everything together.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Nope. Checked the Vin, and it was a 1969 model. DT1B. Already got the oil pump and drive gear. I can't figure out why they used plastic, but hay, I'm not the engineer over here...

Still waiting on a couple of critical parts. I'll update the build thread once I get everything together.

Plastic = quieter operation. The timing gear is also plastic, if it's like my GT380, and easy to break if you spin the engine with the timing shaft. Spin the engine with the wheel or kicker, NOT the timing shaft.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 40 Posts