Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a doohicky to measure the weight on the kickstand to calculate how load-bearing the kickstand platform should be on my motorcycle turntable. I've gotten pretty consistent measurements. My bike is about 5 lbs heavier than stock and I had a half tank of fuel.

With the front wheel straight: 96.6 lbs (22% of stock curb weight).
With the front wheel turned all the way left: 92 lbs (21% of stock curb weight).

I can't explain why there is a difference. If anyone wants to see the turntable let me know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is this turn table you speak of?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
It is a table, for turning purposes. It is called "motorcycle turntable" or "motorcycle lazy susan". Ya drive onto it and the bike can then pivot on the spot.

·
Super Moderator
8,466 Posts
seems like you're overthingking this. it's a bike not a tractor trailer. all you need is a plastic puck on the floor so you dont damage the concrete. then do the kickstand pivot thing.

the lean angle changes (and therefore force on the stand) when you turn the bars because the spot on which the tire sits moves

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seems like you're overthingking this. it's a bike not a tractor trailer. all you need is a plastic puck on the floor so you dont damage the concrete. then do the kickstand pivot thing.

the lean angle changes (and therefore force on the stand) when you turn the bars because the spot on which the tire sits moves
Turning the bike around in my shed with the turntable is significantly more convenient and faster than the kickstand trick. The turntable is a simple wooden object that turned out fine with little thought, so no overthinking here.

I see what you mean by the angle thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts