Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a '99 SV650 that hadn't been run in 8 months for $1000. So even though I didn't get to ride it I thought it wasn't a bad price and I could always sell it and get my money back.

Here's an updated lists of where the expenses are going:
$1000.00, 1999 SV650
$140.00, Front wheel with new tire and rotors
$100.00, Registration & title transfer
$60.00, Full stock exhaust
$50.00, battery
$50.00, Carb rebuild kit X2
$40.00, CBR600rr Rectifier
$40.00, Rear shock from Hayabusa
$30.00, Oil, filter and plugs
$27.00, bar end Mirrors
$25.00, Chainguard & Taillight Thanks Nathan
$13.00, Front sprocket cover Thanks Thomas
$12.50, Passenger pegs Thanks Joel
---------------------------
$1587.50 Total

Tools bought to fix the bike:
$40.00, Vacuum Gauge X2
$20.00, Battery Tender
$20.00, Voltage meter

Stuff to do and on the way:
Stator gasket
Tachometer
Front fork springs, oil and oil gasket
Chain and sprockets
Paint!!!!

04-17-09
On the way home with it

Starting the work on it that night

I drained the fuel, changed the oil and checked the spark plugs.

04-18-09
I started to work on it early.

The enricher wouldn't budge so I traced the problem to the back carb having the enricher plunger completely frozen in the carb, after alot of pulling it came loose. I oiled it and put it back in, it seems to move freely and the lever works, but it doesn't seem to turn as much as it should (it doesn't go past the arrow). I'll need to get a pic of this.

Drained the bowls and changed the battery and after a little cranking...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QizPVIX9sIE
yes, it really is that loud

So after it ran for that little bit it wouldn't run longer than a few seconds. I'm thinking the carbs are REALLY gummed up or the enricher isn't fully open.

04-19-09
So I charged the battery overnight and started it over and over this morning. It ran for a couple seconds then putters out, I was doing this so I could pour seafoam through the fuel pump. So now it's waiting for me to get home tonight, back on the charger and seafoam through the fuel system. I'm going to see how well it runs on fuel tonight (if it will run on fuel)

04-21-09
I cleaned the carbs last night, front carb had complete blockage of the filter and gunk in the jets and tarnish in the float chamber. Back carb just had tarnish and partial blockage of the filter. put them on this morning and she just purrs now. warms up good on the enricher and loves to get throttle!

First ride: Rode great until the airbox came off one of the carbs, after that it was really sluggish. I rode it home and put the box back on but it still rode sluggish. every once in a while, if I stayed at about 5k rpms it would suddenly have normal power again and surge forward, then be sluggish again. any ideas?

04-25-09
changed the plugs now it runs like new. such a blast!!! the only problem now is it isn't charging, I'm going to do some research on what to test to find out what's wrong with the system. am I right in thinking there are only three parts of the charging system, the stator, the rectifier and battery? I have a new battery that I've trickle charged (including now would be three times) and the PO said the rectifier and stator are new, but who knows.

Also there's a wobble in the front wheel, so I'm on a lookout for one of those too, and I'll replace it when I do the fork seals.

05-02-09
hooked up the new 600rr rectifier this morning, charging just great. First longish ride today, only about 80 miles, ran great. Next will be the front wheel then the stock exhaust

05-03-09
First time I trusted it to use it for commuting, spent most of the day riding up and down the beach "looking for photos" :)

05-09-09
Got a used stock pipe, sanded it, polished it and put it on. I can't believe how quiet it is, it sounds electric LOL

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the carbs are off now, going to rip into them and get a rebuild kit

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
That was a nice buy.There was a '00 svs silver in Otown for $1000 about 2 months ago.Missed it by minutes.Those deals only come so often.Good luck on the rebuild.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I just ordered two kits from Sirius Consolidated (as mentioned in the stickied carb thread) any problem with taking it apart before the kit gets here?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^ BDSR39

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh and I need to post more so I can put a want ad for a stock exhaust so ...... +1 :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
really 25?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's hard to believe ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
lol well i hit 25 and still can't post in the forsale section and ive had a account longer then 14 days ha idk i tryed loging out and loging back in ill see what tomarrow brings ha

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will trade you for my stock setup. has some scratches, can get pics if you want, have lots of feedback at other sites, pm me if you are interested and I will give you my number

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'd hold off trading for a stock exhaust. Give the aftermarket pipe a chance. The SV really does sound sweet with a pipe on it. You will loose so much of the experience with the stock pipe.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dragrcr, shoot me a pm and your phone number, if you want check out shipping to 33458

Andy, yeah, customs sucks for packages of size

Bill, did you see the video? it's not just loud, it's deafening, it's a two bros carbon cut down. I had a pipe on my Katana before going back to stock and it made throttle response and the whole powerband smoother and I'm not wanting for more power or torque. Plus I live in a tight neighborhood and ride to work when I can, the stock slip on will keep the neighbors from lynching me. :)

also update up top too

1 - 20 of 62 Posts