Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to buy a new bike for my birthday next month. I love my SV but I decided to get a second bike with some more power. I had the CBR1000RR in my head ever since last year. Reading all the reviews and listening to comments and I figured it was the best all around bike. However, I have been reading the 2009 reviews of the ZX6R and ZX10R and I recently sat on a '08 ZX10Ra t a local dealership. I am starting to have conflicting feelings.

I wanted to throw out the question of what the folks here feel is the best overall bike to get. Note, this will be my first 1000cc bike and I intend to use it mostly on the weekends or riding events off of the track (though I might eventually take to the track to test out it's capabilities :) ). I understand I am going to get opinions, but there are alot of seasoned riders on here that I'd like to hear from about their experiences with Honda and Kawasaki and these particular class of bikes.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have not had experience with either bike. However I have done a good amount of reading on the CBR1000R and its an amazing bike. Too fast for the street really. Its rated at the best bike in its class right now. But I wouldnt get either, I would get the Yamaha R1 with the crossplane crankshaft. Now THATS a sweet bike.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/6/0/home.aspx

This is a sound clip, sounds pretty bada$$.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/r1Sound/09_r1_raceBike-Sound.aspx

This crossplane crankshaft is supposed to make the bike alot more street friendly than the CBR1000R AND the ZX10R. Makes the power a bit more usable. I would defiantly go with the R1.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If I had to pick one...i'd probably grab a new R1....but that's just me. Honestly, any of them would be a great pick. What about a Triumph 675? Don't sell yourself short thinking you NEED a 1000...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I hope you realize how hyper-excessively-fast those bikes are!

If you're not dead-set on new, save a truckload of money and buy used. The 05-06 Gixxer Thous are said to be the best Gixxers ever made.

Out of the the new CBR vs. the new ZX, CBR all day. Every review of the CBR I can find basically says it's God's own liter sportbike. Besides, the ZX looks like ass.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In my area they are running some pretty sweet deals on the 08 zx10r $8500 prior to the other bs.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I hope your riding experience is more than the 1,102 miles on your SV...

I have not ridden a new ZX-10R, but I have ridden an '09 CBR1000RR. It's very compact and light-feeling. The clip ons and foot pegs vibrated a bit at lower speeds causing my right hand and foot to go numb. It also ran hot (220*F), but we had not been on the highway all day.

I can understand why one would want a new literbike. They're surprisingly easy to ride are a bit more nimble than liters of the past, and have the low-end torque to make non tire-shredding wind-shrieking riding enjoyable. I loved the CBR1000RR I rode, but if I were looking for something I could ride every day, or even just weekends on back/canyon roads, I'd stay away. The CBR600RR is more comfortable, smoother and easier to negotiate tight traffic/streets. The new ZX-6R is supposed to be one mean machine - good amount of torque, great handling and good fit/finish. Also take a look at a Triumph Daytona 675...all the power of a 600cc-SuperSport but with the torque to match. That inline-3 is supposed to be subliminal.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Also do yourself a favor and get an insurance quote before you get too set on buying one. Could be bad or it could be nothing but it would be something I would want to have an idea of before I set myself to buy one.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
^ that right there is the reason I will not buy a literbike until I'm 25. Right now, '09 CBR1000RR = $8,000 year......my credit and driving history are good!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I agree with whats said above, your insurance could be more than the bike in 2 years. Check that first. On a brand new literbike your going to have full coverage. I know, were great at ruining dreams arent we?

·
Registered
908 Posts
^until you are 25? try 30 if you want a good deal...

i say scrap the idea of getting a 1000 until honda produces their v4 1000 that they are supposedly replacing the 1000rr with (next year i think). in the mean time get a 675 or an 05 gsx-r600. 600's are plenty WAY faster than the good old sv

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
oddly enough, my insurance gave me a quote for $600/year vs the $400/year I'm paying now for the SV. I'm 21 btw.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
$400/year? I wish. I pay $1,500/year on my '07 SVS with pretty good coverage ($250 deductables, uninsured, etc.)

I'm 22 with good credit and only one speeding ticket three years ago.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
honda all the way.

BOTB!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the opinions all.

For the record, insurance is obviously a factor and I didn't bring that up in the initial question, but I am definitely looking into that. I'm over 25 with a good driving record so we'll see what quote I get. Also, I have ridden way more than 1000+ miles. I actually didn't realize I had that in my avatar still. I think that was the mileage I had on the SV when I first joined the forum. I guess I should put overall life mileage or at least upgrade what I've ridden on the SV over time.

As for these other bikes (Triumph, R1, etc.) I have always liked the R1 and I would like to get one eventually, but for now, I am trying to decide between the Kawi and the Honda.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Start reading some reviews and visit local dealerships to sit on the bikes.

Or screw it all together and pick up a ktm sm! :D

****! some of you guy's are getting raped on insurance. I am paying $420 a year for full on the 14 and I'm 25

·
Registered
722 Posts
Here's my .02: If you've never been on a true literbike, then before you drop a HUGE chunk of change on a new one, you should at least try one. I'd say head out to your local Ducati or MV Augusta dealer and score a demo ride on a 1098 or F41000. You won't likely get to ride a Japanese L4 but the Italians will let you ride theirs. It's eye opening.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Like alot of the guys said here, I would take a good look at the R1, if you want to get a 1000. I have a few friends that own them. It is a very nice bike. But if you are dead set on the two you are looking at, I would have to say go with the CBR. In my eyes a much nicer bike. But personally I don't have a need for a 1000 but to each is own.

Good luck.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Another vote for a 675. Mine:

Failing that, I'd go with the Honda. The Kawi look just doesn't appeal to me at all.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Why is it than when people want a bike with "more power than the SV", they immediately go to something 1k+?
Because there's nothing like going from a real girl's bike to a real man's bike ;D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts