Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a bit of a dumb question, however... on other FI bikes I've had (and on m'boy's SV1K), the fuel pump whines for a little less than a second when the key is turned on; the whine stops when the system is pressurized, and that's the last I hear. On this new-to-me SV, that whine doesn't stop, and it continues as I start and run the bike. Bike runs fine.

This bike does have a PC, which I've never had on a bike before.

Normal, abnormal, nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
666 Posts
once the bike is running it will while but you cant hear it because the bike is running (noisy). maybe the PC just leaves it running for shits and giggles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So you're saying that if you wait, the fuel pump whine doesn't stop ever? I don't have a PC, but my bike stops after maybe two seconds. I don't always wait for it to stop though...

·
Registered
203 Posts
k7 650, whines for like 2 maybe 3 seconds and shuts off. I wait until it stops to start the bike.

·
Registered
984 Posts
My 06 goes for 2-3 seconds. I always try to wait till it stops and and the gauges settle before starting the bike. I doubt it's neccessary, especially if you just had the bike running, but I still let it run.

If your pump is actually running all the time, that is a problem, could be a low pressure issue and the pump has to run to keep the pressure at the right level. I would have the dealer check it out if that is the case.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
k7 650, whines for like 2 maybe 3 seconds and shuts off. I wait until it stops to start the bike.
+1. Though I read that it keeps doing that the whole time you're riding so sometimes I wait and sometimes I don't. Sounds like a transformer though :p

·
Registered
666 Posts
Everyone, 03+ is a FI bike. if the "fuel pump" (i.e. no hum) stops then your bikey no runy. the constant hum is probably just from the PC. if the fuel pump ran and you had a leak, YOU would know.

·
Registered
666 Posts
ROADSTER.. Try this if you are worry, unplug the PC then turn your bike on. if it primes the systems then turns off you are fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
some fuel pumps are just noisy. my sv1000 whines constantly, even while riding, and there's no PC or anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
some fuel pumps are just noisy. my sv1000 whines constantly, even while riding, and there's no PC or anything.
Good to know. Ja, the bike runs like a top - just that the one thing was different from my experience with other FI bikes, so I wanted to hear a definitive 'yes, it's a problem' or 'no, it's normal.'

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
As soon as you turn on the ignition, the SV650 runs the fuel pump for 3 seconds, then stops. Once the ECU detects the engine is running, the fuel pumps starts again and runs constantly until you shut the bike off.

Just put you ear to the tank once you start the bike and you can hear it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A good fix for that whine is to get a very noisy exhaust. I recommend a full Yosh setup... I don't ever hear the pump after I start her up!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I only heard it when running it to check the oil while it was on the work table. ;) Between the exhaust and the earplugs, I can't hear shite when I'm riding it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts