Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for getting the helmet law repealed in Pennsylvania. Now my NY State based Street bike insurance company will no longer insure me because I live in PA. I had a good deal with them $350/year for full coverage with no deductable. Before I bought my SV650 I shopped for insurance. This place was half the price of any other carrier. Now I hope that I can find something resonable or for sale she goes. I am so proud to be a member, 11 years now. What a great organization.

P

·
0 Posts
"They that give up liberty for security deserve neither" - Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
397 Posts
WOW $350 a year with full coverage!?!?!?! dayam geico wants to charge me $1100 a year!!! I'm gonna go look up your company ;)

J

·
0 Posts
shekshishekki said:
WOW $350 a year with full coverage!?!?!?! dayam geico wants to charge me $1100 a year!!! I'm gonna go look up your company  ;)
My bike is covered in Carroll County, MD and Progressive wanted about 1k a year for full coverage. Our area sucks!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
alphado said:
I just called my agent to see what was going on.  They found another carrier and now my rate is $270/year for the same coverage.  Nice!

www.motorcycleservices.com
interesting. they said they're planning on writing insurance to my area within the next 30 days. everyone else here is raising the rates on the sv (s and non) to sport bike rates. i'd love to go with them for cheaper - or even what i pay now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stranger, I got the same response. Do you live in Washington State?

I don't have insurance (don't need it in washington state), because it's so damn expensive. I'd pay for it, if at a reasonable price though.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Landshark said:
Stranger, I got the same response.  Do you live in Washington State?

I don't have insurance (don't need it in washington state), because it's so damn expensive.  I'd pay for it, if at a reasonable price though. 
i'm in jersey, so maybe it's not really true and just a standard thing they tell you if they don't write in your area yet.

even if it wasn't required to carry it, i would - at least liability. the last thing i need is to have legal issues after a crash

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
alphado, did you try Aegis? They gave me the best price by a longshot. I'm in Western PA and I pay $149 a year for full coverage on a 04 Nekkid.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
omg, Totals for Annual Coverage
Cost of Insurance: $835.00

You could start YOUR INSURANCE TODAY with your first payment of $168.00

thats cheaper than everyone else I have been qouted with.

·
Registered
197 Posts
For those in MD try an agent with Foremost. I have them in MD on a 2002 svs for around 300 a year full coverage. My renewal is in October so we will see if they go up. But I also live out in the sticks away from any cities.

·
Registered
114 Posts
alphado said:
Thanks for getting the helmet law repealed in Pennsylvania. Now my NY State based Street bike insurance company will no longer insure me because I live in PA. I had a good deal with them $350/year for full coverage with no deductable. Before I bought my SV650 I shopped for insurance. This place was half the price of any other carrier. Now I hope that I can find something resonable or for sale she goes. I am so proud to be a member, 11 years now. What a great organization.
I'm glad that things worked out well for you but if I am reading you right in your post, and you are being sarcastic, I find your attitude selfish. The AMA is looking out for the greater good of motorcyclists and if this decision in PA caused you grief I am sorry but this was not their intent and what they did was a good thing. I apologize if I read your post incorrectly. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
camberthrust said:
I'm glad that things worked out well for you but if I am reading you right in your post, and you are being sarcastic, I find your attitude selfish. The AMA is looking out for the greater good of motorcyclists and if this decision in PA caused you grief I am sorry but this was not their intent and what they did was a good thing. I apologize if I read your post incorrectly. Thanks, Mike.
(emphasis mine)
I dont know anything about the AMA's role in getting helmet laws in PA repealed...but are you actually implying that repealing helmet laws is a GOOD thing? Probably 99.9% of us on this message board wear helmets wherever we ride anyway, so it's not like it affects our freedom. Repeal of helmet laws only does two things: it allows squids to splatter their brains on the sidewalk legally, and gives insurance companies a very good reason to drastically raise rates.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It would be interesting to see real data on states such as PA which had a helmet law and then repealed it to see what insurance rates were before and after. I have lived in many states both with and without helmet laws and really haven't noticed a major difference in policy premiums. I can say that I wore my helmet even in states that didn't require it. When ever I get a survey by ama though I rank repealing helmet laws as the lowest on my list of prefered things for them to be doing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Many people don't like when government mandates something that is a personal freedom like whether or not to wear a helmet. Same with seat belt laws. They think that they should make this decision themselves rather than be told what to do by the government. Personally I would wear a helmet 100% of the time even if it were not the law in Michigan where I live but I prefer that this not be legislated.

In this case the AMA is acting in the interest of personal choice and the government not intruding into our personal lives. Thanks, Mike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts