Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a smaller town and the only motorcycle shop in town is a Honda place. I took my bike in to get new tires put on some new wheels I bought and have the old wheels swapped out. Was also getting a new chain installed.

They called me today saying it was done so I picked my dad up from work called in late to my work so my dad could drive my truck back while I drove my moto home. I'm paying for the service and the tires and ask for them to bring me out my old wheels. As I'm putting my signature on the receipt and they bring out my new wheels with the new tires installed on them...

I look at the guy and I'm like...uh those are supposed to be on my bike. I'm like the tires are on the right wheels but the wrong wheels are on the bike. They guys like oh, well we weren't sure what you wanted us to do about that. It's like hello, call me and ask if you have questions. Don't tell me it's finished and waste me and my dad's time as well as make me late for work only to pay for the service that wasn't done and still leave without my bike.

Just ranting a little bit. Sorry. Haven't posted in awhile and I'm excited to get my bike back on the road after my wreck last July. So I guess this is kind of a Welcome back too!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Hmmm, it's the same town The Simpsons are from...? lol "Ha-Ha!"

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Yes. Shops suck and you generally can't trust the pros. So if by some miracle you find a good one, CONGRATS! :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Shops suck and you generally can't trust the pros.
Unfortunately it's the only thing you can do when you don't have the necessary tools to do the job yourself...I hope I can trust they aren't going to charge me again. I've already paid now for the service and the tires. I don't plan on busting out the credit card again.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
$200 for tools, install your own tires. Nuff said :)

Or take your wheels off next time and drop them off with tires so you can save your dad's time (drive yourself in other words lol). Unless the bike is your only mode of transportation.

:)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Swapping the wheels here boss!

That sucks, I'm surprised they didn't pay enough attention to get that little detail right. Besides, who has them put new tires on new wheels, and a new chain on the bike, but wouldn't want the new wheels or tires on the bike?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Swapping the wheels here boss!

That sucks, I'm surprised they didn't pay enough attention to get that little detail right. Besides, who has them put new tires on new wheels, and a new chain on the bike, but wouldn't want the new wheels or tires on the bike?
Exactly what I was thinking. They even held off the install of the wheels...atleast so I thought...because I had to get the chain ordered.

I probably should just buy some tools, but currently I'm still living with my mom and she barely even has room in the garage for my bike..let alone tools and the space required to use them. Plus I've got a condition known as laziness and would never get it done if up to me to do.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$200 for tools, install your own tires. Nuff said :)

Or take your wheels off next time and drop them off with tires so you can save your dad's time (drive yourself in other words lol). Unless the bike is your only mode of transportation.

:)
I was getting carb work done as well. I'm not comfortable doing some work myself.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I would not blame you for not wanting to change your own tires. It is a snap with a machine, but if you are trying to muscle one on with just two tire irons, you will be there all day. I'm sure someone is going to come tell me about how easy it is and everyone should do it, but I like the machine. Well, I have access to two of them so I would like it, but even if I didn't I would pay someone who did.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I would not blame you for not wanting to change your own tires. It is a snap with a machine, but if you are trying to muscle one on with just two tire irons, you will be there all day. I'm sure someone is going to come tell me about how easy it is and everyone should do it, but I like the machine. Well, I have access to two of them so I would like it, but even if I didn't I would pay someone who did.
3 is the magic number. Two irons you'll be at it all day...3 gives you that extra leverage to get that extra little bit over the lip of the rim.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
You can do it with two irons... AND a locking clamp lol. The locking clamp (JDog has patents pending lol) helps to pinch the tire in one area and makes putting it on "oh so easy". :)

I was getting carb work done as well. I'm not comfortable doing some work myself.
I was nervous about taking my wheels off and then I watch two other locals do it and figured why not. It's seriously super easy. I was afraid to do all kinds of things at first but now i do everything myself. (minus valve check/shim swap but I'll be learning how to do that soon too :D). It saves a LOT of money in this area to do it all yourself (baltimore/dc)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Yeah, a clamp could keep the tire in the drop center, but for the limited cost of having it done I would still go that route personally. This is assuming you have the wheels off the bike.

Valve shims are not too bad, just get a good micrometer and it is a snap. Well, still a good bit of tear down, but the actual task is not too hard, just a bit time consuming.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Yeah, a clamp could keep the tire in the drop center, but for the limited cost of having it done I would still go that route personally. This is assuming you have the wheels off the bike.

Valve shims are not too bad, just get a good micrometer and it is a snap. Well, still a good bit of tear down, but the actual task is not too hard, just a bit time consuming.
You'll do shims but not tires...

(note to self: no more taking advice from captain backwards over there lol)

:nana:

EDIT: In this area it's 60/tire mount/balance. OFF THE BIKE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.