Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, what a great bike!

I took the bike down Valley Parkway past Lake Hodges a little while ago, this bike turns in well, has plenty of power and is light and flickable. It is partly cloudy and in the low 70s here, perfect riding weather.

Specs:

2009 Ducati Monster 1100 S
1100cc L-Twin engine, 2 valves per cylinder
370lbs dry weight
Ohlins adjustable forks and rear shock
Brembo brakes (twin 4 piston calipers up front)

First thing I noticed is that the handlebars are a bit wider than on my SV and the riding position is a bit more aggressive (forward leaning). The seat is angled towards the tank which facilitates a weight forward riding position (which is good because this bike will lift the front wheel easily under acceleration). Controls are standard layout and were easy to use with gloves on.

The engine is lumpy at idle with a noticeable vibration but once above 3,000 rpms it really smooths out. The engine is so sweet and the sounds it makes when you get up above 5,000 rpms are soooo nice. What a great power plant. Gobs of torque and it just revs so willingly. I didn't take it up past 7,000 rpms because the bike only had 100 miles on it but it was pulling strong when I shifted and I was already breaking the 55mph speed limit by a good 20mph.

There was one point where I started out from a light and got on the throttle and was quickly rewarded with a nice wheelie. I probably had a good foot of air under my front wheel. It wasn't intentional...honest. ;D

Brakes and suspension are top notch. I really only needed 2 fingers on the front brake and found myself hardly using the rear half the time.

I want one! Badly!
This is my next bike...no doubt about it.

My SV felt slow on the ride home...:'(

·
Registered
140 Posts
I owned the previous gen S2R 1000...as well as an S4R and 620. I'm a big Monster fan. Great bikes. Been wanting to throw a leg over the model since the chassis/ergos/riding position are quite different from the first gen bikes. From what I've heard they really did a nice job with the new model.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I owned the previous gen S2R 1000...as well as an S4R and 620. I'm a big Monster fan. Great bikes. Been wanting to throw a leg over the model since the chassis/ergos/riding position are quite different from the first gen bikes. From what I've heard they really did a nice job with the new model.
I haven't ridden any of the previous models but I absolutely fell in love with this one. If I had the cash I would have taken it home on the spot. The power was intoxicating. It comes on strong if you really get into the throttle and the bike just goes right where you want it to. Very easy to handle. It is perfect for winding mountain roads...probably not so much for commuting but then again, I know people who commute everyday on a Yamaha R1. ;D

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Take a look at the stats...only 95hp, but it has 75.9lb/ft of torque! Wow...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I haven't ridden any of the previous models but I absolutely fell in love with this one.
The biggest difference between the new model, and the old one, is you are much further forward on the new bike. Much sportier than the first gen. I'm curious to take out one of the demos our local dealer has.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
:'(Lucky you. Not a Duke dealer within 300 miles of here and such a fine piece of engineering would be wasted here in the Mid-West anyway :(

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
:'(Lucky you. Not a Duke dealer within 300 miles of here and such a fine piece of engineering would be wasted here in the Mid-West anyway :(
that's why you persuade your friends to buy a duck! that's how i got my first ride on one! ;D

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to mention the heat coming off the left side of the bike at idle. I got stuck in a construction zone and had to sit idling for about 4-5 minutes and my left inner thigh was cooking from the heat pouring out of that area. With my foot on the peg it was fine but with my foot on the ground it was pretty hot. I was wearing jeans though so maybe leathers would help with that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's the only thing I don't like about he new bikes. The routing of the header. I can see how it'd make things uncomfortable.

But I doubt it's worse than an SBK. I spent the weekend on a 749 once and I'm lucky I can still have kids. That seat is a ball burner......

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I would love to ride an 1100. Hopefully it would take care of all the gripes I had with the 696.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the only thing I don't like about he new bikes. The routing of the header. I can see how it'd make things uncomfortable.

But I doubt it's worse than an SBK. I spent the weekend on a 749 once and I'm lucky I can still have kids. That seat is a ball burner......
Yeah, I could feel the seat was a little warm but not uncomfortably so. It was my leg that was roasting and it was only while I had my feet on the ground with the bike idling. While riding I didn't notice it at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts