Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My sv has about 6800km on the odometer and the chain has never been tensioned since I bought it at 1km. I measured the slack and it was around 2 inches. I finally tensioned it over the weekend but what I found weird was, when I wen to measure it, while on the side stand, the slack was about 1 inch. ??? I turned the tire a big and the slack of 2inches came back. I ended up tensioning at that point. I now have 1 inch exactly maybe 0.9inch but im concerned if I have other spots on the chain where I get less slack. I measured using a tape measure the cenvter of the swingarm pivot hole and center of axle nut and they are aligned, maybe 1/16". Is it normal to have the chain change tension as I turn the wheel, I was thinking the tire was not aligned to begin with. The axle markings are both exact on each side btw.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You should always rotate the wheel when setting chain tension, as you found out.
Chains can get "tight spots" on them that alter the chain tension for that run/section.

don't rely on the axle markers. Use a micrometer or tape measure to measure the distance from the center of axle to the rear of the swingarm. Those measurements on the axle adjusters are frequently off by up to 1/4".

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
don't rely on the axle markers. Use a micrometer or tape measure to measure the distance from the center of axle to the rear of the swingarm. Those measurements on the axle adjusters are frequently off by up to 1/4".
Sorry, but I disagree. I tried doing a measurement and I think that’s really inaccurate method. The left and right sides are slightly different in configuration so there is no way to do that with complete accuracy. Plus on my bike I can’t get a straight shot with a tape. I seriously doubt that the reference marks would be cast incorrectly when everything else on the bike is accurate. However, one way to double check is to eyeball the rear sprocket and see if its inline with the front sprocket. I can clearly see mine and the marks are perfect. You can even pull the chain off to get a better visual reference, and on one bike I had you could use a straight-edge, but I doubt if the marks are wrong. Not trying to slam anyone, but I’ve heard this argument before; it’s just not true on modern machines.

Your drive chain will change in tension due to wear factors associated with both the chain and the sprockets. And yes, the sprocket alignment is important; use the reference marks.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Next time you have an occasion to, take them off and stack them on top of eachother. You'll see how far off they are. On mine any my wife's SV, they are about 1/8" off. On my Superhawk, they are about 1/4" Off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.