Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a little background-

-2005 SV650S w/23000kms (never any problems, ever!)
-just had valve check performed by local shop, all nicely within spec
-after the valves were checked, they also re-synched the throttle bodies

SINCE THEN----

-exhaust "burble" more pronounced than ever before
-revving to 6000 rpm in neutral will pop blue flame from exhaust virtually everytime
-other than that, seems to run great

TONIGHT

Tonight, I took the bike into my shop, to make sure that nothing had been adjusted with the Power Commander, as well as to check the TPS setting, in an attempt to "minimize" the backfiring.

When I warmed the bike up to temp, and set the TPS (which was out again) ,I noticed that the temp was climbing higher than usual. I let it continue until it reached 110 deg. celsius (230f) before shutting the bike down to cool off. During this time, the fan never kicked in, nor did any temp warning light appear. I have never had the motor get that warm before, ever. Usually the fan starts at around 100 deg celsius (212f), if I remember correctly from last summer.

QUESTIONS

1) Where is the fan switch?
2) Where is the temp guage switch?
3) What temp should the warning light turn on, and does it share a switch with one of the others, or run seperate?

The reason I ask is that my immediate assumption is an airlock of some sort. Both hoses are quite warm, where is the thermostat?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
xj750guy said:
First a little background-

-2005 SV650S w/23000kms (never any problems, ever!)
-just had valve check performed by local shop, all nicely within spec
-after the valves were checked, they also re-synched the throttle bodies
First off, how ago long did this work occur? How soon did the symptoms appear? It sounds like the symptoms appeared that same day. If so, coincidences occur, but take it back to them. Most likely, they messed something up. Explain the situation, they won't like it, but they will work with you.

xj750guy said:
-revving to 6000 rpm in neutral will pop blue flame from exhaust virtually everytime
Awesome.

xj750guy said:
Usually the fan starts at around 100 deg celsius (212f), if I remember correctly from last summer.

QUESTIONS

1) Where is the fan switch?
2) Where is the temp guage switch?
3) What temp should the warning light turn on, and does it share a switch with one of the others, or run seperate?

The reason I ask is that my immediate assumption is an airlock of some sort. Both hoses are quite warm, where is the thermostat?
There is something wrong for sure. The factory spec is that the fan kicks on at approx. 208F. To answer your questions:

1)Right side of radiator right next to right side radiator hose.

2)On the thermostat housing. The thermostat housing can be found by following the left side radiator hose. The manual says you have to remove the throttle bodies to access the T-stat.

3) The warning light turns on at 248F according to the manual. It does not share a switch. The coolant temp switch decreases in resistance as the temperature goes up. The engine computer reads this resistance and determines when to turn on the light in the instrument panel.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Tonight, I took the bike into my shop, to make sure that nothing had been adjusted with the Power Commander, as well as to check the TPS setting, in an attempt to "minimize" the backfiring.

When I warmed the bike up to temp, and set the TPS (which was out again)
When you change the setup of the TPS sensor, you need to recalibrate your PCIII. The PCIII uses the TPS signal.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off, how ago long did this work occur? How soon did the symptoms appear? It sounds like the symptoms appeared that same day. If so, coincidences occur, but take it back to them. Most likely, they messed something up. Explain the situation, they won't like it, but they will work with you.
I picked it up from the shop Wednesday, and yes, these symptoms are all new to the bike.

Thanks, but I thought it odd that it wasn't doing this before, and is now. FYI, the PAIR valve is plugged off, and didn't seem change this either.

When you change the setup of the TPS sensor, you need to recalibrate your PCIII. The PCIII uses the TPS signal.
I ran it to temp, set the idle, set the TPS, and then reset the TPS settings on the PCIII, so that should be all perfect.

I'll have to look over the cooling system diagrams, and 'burp' the system today, I'm still thinking airlock.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thought of another question. When the 'Dealer mode tool' is active, as in setting the TPS, does the system "override" any basic funtions, such as the cooling fan?

Just a thought.

Regards
Darryl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts